How do you feel about Focusrite?

• Thread starter John Loftus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
a few years ago i was looking for a new interface with more inputs and more features. the Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen was the only one i could find that fulfilled all my needs. still using it today without issues. just one little thing, for the Windows audio settings it would be nice if the inputs where not grouped together as stereo inputs, but rather that you can set up each individual input as mono input.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OK, I just took the survey and want to comment on it as there were a few questions that are questionable IMO.

First, there were questions about whether or not we think 1) Focusrite, and 2) the audio tech industry as a whole stand for something. What do either stand for? Recording audio? Live performance? You guys, as a whole, don’t take political positions so I’m not sure what you could be seen as standing for beyond the functionality of the product. Enabling musicians at a price?

Second, there were questions about whether or not we think 1) Focusrite, and 2) the audio tech industry as a whole enable creativity. I had some difficulty answering this one as no, an interface won’t inspire creativity, but an overly complex mixer can hinder creativity. Mic pres can maybe be said to inspire creativity when they are “color” preamps that allow you to drive them into saturation/distortion (Neve 1073, Chandler Germanium, UA 610, etc.), but for the most part, preamps won’t inspire creativity, either.

What can inspire creativity are things we interface with ergonomically, like a MIDI keyboard or pad controller with unique features. Or maybe the user interface of a plugin.

But for the most part, technology requires logical thinking that interferes with creativity, at least in the moment, so the best advice I can offer is to allow for user developed templates that can be implemented without thought so as to avoid interfering with the initial inspiration anywhere and everywhere possible.
i just took the survey and i totally agree. a lot of questions really rubbed me the wrong way. interfaces and such are just tools to get things done. not an effing lifestyle product to show off how superficial and vain you are. just make good quality and affordable stuff with good support and your reputation is A OK.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adieu

Reaction score
You think thats bad... we just installed a new app on our code reviews at work that check for inclusive language automatically. I wish I was making that up.

What in the ever-loving fk is inclusive language?

Dear Sir > Dear Sir or Madam > Hi everybody?

ChrispyFinch

Reaction score
My focusrite 2i2 is too hot for instrument even at gain at zero. Fix that.

I actually have this issue as well. 1st Gen 2i2
only use it for line level inputs. Its obviously an older and budget interface, and lacks many features. That being said it has done a job for many years, but when i upgrade it wont be a focusrite.

admgloval

Reaction score
My name is John Loftus and I work for Focusrite UK.
Essentially, we'd like to understand how you feel about Focusrite.

Take our survey before the 27th May 2022 and we'll enter you into a competition to win one of our amazing prizes.

Main Prize: Clarett+ 8Pre, Clarett+ OctoPre, FAST plug-in bundle

5 Runners up: $20 Gift Voucher

The survey should take around 10 minutes to complete and you have the option to pause and return to finish it at a later point should you wish to.

https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6852524/f53821864539-seven-string

If you have any questions about this or would just like to confirm that this is authentic, please feel free to send Focusrite a message on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
I personally wouldn't buy a Focusrite interface after the way you guys abandoned the Focusrite Saffire 1st gen firewire model that my buddy owns. Perfectly working piece of equipment that is a paperweight because your company is too lazy to write Windows 10 drivers for it. My friend has to have a dual boot setup on his PC with Win7 just to be able to use the damn thing. UPDATE THE DRIVERS!!!

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I actually have this issue as well. 1st Gen 2i2
only use it for line level inputs. Its obviously an older and budget interface, and lacks many features. That being said it has done a job for many years, but when i upgrade it wont be a focusrite.
Supposedly this got fixed in the 3rd gen. I still have a 2nd gen so I use a DI box to get the instrument signal up to line level, obviating the incompetent hi-z input entirely.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Inclusivity?

What the hell dude, you people sell RED USB INTERFACE BOXES.

It's a memorable color and a good idea. Should've asked if that helps set your brand apart in shelves (and yes it does). But you DON'T and CAN'T have any sort of inclusivity image, it's physically impossible.

Crazy marketers... damn
They sell (red) interface boxes?

AIDS awareness, amirite?

I personally have no problem with pretty much any company wanting to be more inclusive, but, well, an audio interface, preamp, and DAW making company is an odd place to turn to for this.

Adieu

Reaction score

AIDS awareness, amirite?

I personally have no problem with pretty much any company wanting to be more inclusive, but, well, an audio interface, preamp, and DAW making company is an odd place to turn to for this.

What's red got to do with AIDS awareness? Is that via some roundabout and probably politically incorrect train of thought that involves firemen...ahem, firepersons? Or is it still inclusive to call them men if they're implied to be gay?

Also, wtf do Americans think all firepersons are gay?

...so many questions.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They should have a mix knob to blend between direct monitoring and USB audio, instead of just a one-or-the-other switch.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
What's red got to do with AIDS awareness? Is that via some roundabout and probably politically incorrect train of thought that involves firemen...ahem, firepersons? Or is it still inclusive to call them men if they're implied to be gay?

Also, wtf do Americans think all firepersons are gay?

...so many questions.
I'm sorry, I thought the (red) marketing initiative was so ubiquitous that everyone would have caught it simply from the parenthesis. :lol:

They've broadened a little bit, but the initial goal was fighting AIDS.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
Thanks to all you hotheads blasting the survey. Looks like I'm in the lead for the prize as my Clarett is my friend and my authority

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score

AIDS awareness, amirite?

Maaaaaannn that takes me back to the (red) iPod nano being a head turner because it was an unusual color.
I know I've seen them on something else since but that's the only one I remember.

Bummer Focusrite's color actually is red because if it was still blue that'd be a great collaboration idea.

Adieu

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I thought the (red) marketing initiative was so ubiquitous that everyone would have caught it simply from the parenthesis. :lol:

They've broadened a little bit, but the initial goal was fighting AIDS.

Nope, never heard of it. Ever.

And I've had periods when I've driven taxi in Los Angeles and other periods when I watched 16 hours of YouTube w/o Premium per day.

In other words, it's not advertised anywhere and absolutely no one in Southern California talks about it.

j3ps3

Reaction score
I have a 18i8 that bumps the volume up and down 1-2db randomly. Has been doing this since I bought it. Last 18i8 just crapped on me after the warranty expired. At this point I'll probably try something else when I need a new interface. Shouldn't have problems like this at this price point.

p88

Reaction score
My focusrite 2i2 is too hot for instrument even at gain at zero. Fix that.
This ^

I'll never buy anything Focusrite again - I used their 1st Gen 2i2 for the best part of 7 years, and thought that gain issue was normal. So I, like I'm sure a lot of others, used the line in switch on the input to control the gain...which in turn screwed the instrument signal.

Now yes, you can call me a newb and inexperienced for not realising this would cause issues...but I contest that I am a newb and that this interface is specifically designed for and targeted at inexperienced users.

I was only aware of this issue retrospectively after switching to a MOTO M2 and being amazed by it. I had to do an autopsy on why the Focusrite sucked so bad comparatively (specifically with passive pickups) - and this is what I found out.

I wasn't contacted by Focusrite, or the dealer who sold the interface, despite it being a known and 'corrected' issue down the line with it's subsequent generations.

For years, I was unknowingly recording and playing through a line in input, and having a compromised tone/experience, because of their poor design. Very very frustrating.

So yes...no more Focusrite again - ever.

I would implore all those still using earlier generation (and potentially newer generation) 2i2 interfaces to try new interfaces, such as the MOTO M2...the difference is ridiculous.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This ^

I'll never buy anything Focusrite again - I used their 1st Gen 2i2 for the best part of 7 years, and thought that gain issue was normal. So I, like I'm sure a lot of others, used the line in switch on the input to control the gain...which in turn screwed the instrument signal.

Now yes, you can call me a newb and inexperienced for not realising this would cause issues...but I contest that I am a newb and that this interface is specifically designed for and targeted at inexperienced users.

I was only aware of this issue retrospectively after switching to a MOTO M2 and being amazed by it. I had to do an autopsy on why the Focusrite sucked so bad comparatively (specifically with passive pickups) - and this is what I found out.

I wasn't contacted by Focusrite, or the dealer who sold the interface, despite it being a known and 'corrected' issue down the line with it's subsequent generations.

For years, I was unknowingly recording and playing through a line in input, and having a compromised tone/experience, because of their poor design. Very very frustrating.

So yes...no more Focusrite again - ever.

I would implore all those still using earlier generation (and potentially newer generation) 2i2 interfaces to try new interfaces, such as the MOTO M2...the difference is ridiculous.
yeah, 1st gen wasn´t great. 2nd gen fixed some stuff but still had its issues. i´ve had a 1st gen 6i6 and sent it back and went with presonus instead at the time. so i won´t argue any of that. but let´s be fair now, some issues with some gear doesn´t mean the entirety of the brand is always bad and wont ever improve. 3rd gen is great. i´ve been using a 3rd gen scarlett without any issues whatsoever for like 3 years now. sure, search out options, but i wouldn´t completely omit focusrite. they have impoved and fixed those big issues.