How do you improve your technique?

• Thread starter 14drz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

14drz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it’d not effecting the sound or how you play, fuck it.

My pinky wags around like an excited dog’s tail when I’m not using it. I just consider myself a dainty guitar player.
I’d agree with you but sometimes it’s also a matter of being comfortable. In my case I notice that my hand is very very tense so at some point it actually starts hurting a little. Nothin dramatic but if there’s a way of doing it and being more comfortable it is worthy to give it a try

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
I’d agree with you but sometimes it’s also a matter of being comfortable. In my case I notice that my hand is very very tense so at some point it actually starts hurting a little. Nothin dramatic but if there’s a way of doing it and being more comfortable it is worthy to give it a try
You want to try to avoid as much tension as you can. You can’t get rid of all of it or you wouldn’t be able to support yourself or move, but the less tension you can use to play a part, the better.

You need to consciously focus on relaxing while playing. And don’t just concentrate on your hands - tension in your head, jaw, neck, shoulders, and back can cause tension in your arms and hands, too. And tensing your stomach muscles can cause tensions elsewhere, so pay attention to this.

It might take a week or a month (or more) to retrain yourself, but it will be worthwhile.

Demiurge

Reaction score
While I firmly come down on the side of doing the work: building dexterity, muscle memory, etc., I'd also advocate that playing smart is a good complement to technique. If there's a shape or fingering that just isn't agreeing with you ergonomically, find a different way to play it with substantially the same notes elsewhere on the fretboard.

nickgray

Reaction score
what do you mean with straight? i think i'm doing something wrong here
IMG_3653-1.jpg

As opposed to a bent wrist:

IMG_3655-1.jpg

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
Sorry english is not my first language so maybe I didn’t explain myself very good haha btw this is wha happens. It doesn’t really affect the sound since I don’t touch others strings but it’s kinda ugly to see. I couldn’t post any clips since the website doesn’t allow me
It can be improved, but it's gonna take a lot of time and patience, and you need to be very careful when changing the left hand technique, because drastic changes may lead to developing more than one technique, and that's real pain in the butt..
In my case, the process was this: start with extremely slow chromatic scale excercises, slowly increasing the tempo but not more than you can do it before your middle finger goes back. When it's acceptable, comfort and speed-wise (after couple of weeks maybe) try doing the same with other excercises or playing your solos, extremely slowly at the beginning, making sure each finger touches the string/fret with enough force to feel it right, but not more than necessary. Avoid engaging muscles of your fingers that aren't required.
If you notice that your hand gets tired and the habit comes back then stop, relax, start slower again.
After few months you may see improvement, but if you try to push it too fast, the wrong habit will be coming back, and that's a thing that will hold the progress.

Is it worth it? It depends.. If the tension of your hand prevents you to play correct or faster then yes it is, but if you don't have any serious issues, like pain in your hand, or synchronization problems, or insufficient control on one of fingers (touch too light or missed) then maybe it's better to simply slow down and refine the technique you already have.

T_Gobbs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No pinky wagging for you. Do the exercises everyone else posted and do them slow as shit. If it's still flapping around, wrap a hair tie around your fingers. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but people on the internet will make fun of you forever for it, and we all know what that does to the soul.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Honestly...not thinking any more than I have to. For me, if I just enjoy what I'm playing I sound better than when I try to focus on techniques and doing stuff the "right way"

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
There is a limit to how close to "guitar hands" you can get. It took me a few years to get my fingers to stick to the fretboard but there was a point where there was no more improvement. My pinkie will always curl up in certain positions because of the shape of my hands.

Some people people are lucky enough to have guitar hands like Rick Graham or Wes Hauch, their fingers naturally stay together on the fretboard and through conscious technique they use minimal movement and pressure while playing. You can find beginners on YouTube who have similar hands.