How do YOU programm drums?

• Thread starter TimTomTum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
All drawn in to Logic Pro 8. I have good timing, understanding of rhythm et c but no proper drumming skills and no suitable hardware to programme with. It usually starts with marking out my main beats in normal ways and then supplementing that to support the main rhythms of the piece, in either unison, mimicking or hocketing ways.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
I'm on the fence about suing either a MIDI pad or Keyboard. but either way i use logic for all my programming work.

i usually record a rough rythm guitar track, then use the midi pad for kicks, then add snare, tom's, hats, cymbals as i go. then quantize it, so it's all in time and dead to the click.

add and or remove from there. THEN RECORD THE REST O GUITAR AND BASS OVER THAT, AND REPEAT

sorry meant to add that i use SUperiror drummer 2.0 with metal foundary

danieluber1337

☻☺☻☼☺☻☺
Reaction score
I prefer to...

-Make my kit as big as I'll ever want it
-Make a custom MIDI map for it in SD2.0 (which I bet you can do in EZD), meaning kick first, then all snare hits, then toms, then hi-hat, then crashes, chinas, rides, splashes and COWBELL. In whatever logical order you like.
-Then name MIDI notes in REAPER that correspond to the MIDI map I made for SD2.0
-Program...

It seems that it takes a while, but just sit down for 15 minutes and do all the tedious work in one big go. Then you know how you set up your MIDI map, and you can program easily...

One thing I need to learn how to do, though, is to use the hi-hat layer change thing. Just use the trigger, but use the open/close automation to, well, open and/or close the hats.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ Same as me. I took hours making a huge template that even includes all the routing for tracks and busses. Now it's done, I can just press insert from template, draw in MIDI in a nice organised drum grid, and tweak the mix.
That's in Sonar.

Ginsu

Reaction score
I'm stuck with Guitar Pro 6...I say STUCK WITH because I have to use drum notation. :( The only kind I CAN'T read. I like the midi numbers better, i.e. 46 = Open Hi-hat, 57 (or 49) = Crash Cymbal, 40 (or 38) = Snare, 36 (or 35) = Bass Drum.

dantejayg85

Se7en
Reaction score
I use Reaper and just select 'New Midi Item' and just punch in the notes. It takes forever like any programming, but if i want to change the tempo, i can map it out and tell it to ignore the grid so that chunk can have a different tempo. I <3 Reaper

^^^ This.
I do the same thing my basic outline for writing the entire song is usually I come up with a basic song structure on the guitar and record a scratch track to the metronome,
then I set the looper section by section, verse, chorus etc.... then new midi file, I start with the hi hat or ride etc and get the timing I want then I add everything else.

The nice thing is that for the most part you can make each part once then copy and paste it again, so you make the chorus once then copy and paste it each time theres a chorus once you get each section done then you'll have a very generic sounding drum track for the entire song.

Once I have that done I rerecord the guitars bass etc and then go back and tweak the drums, add different fills or rearrange things so it sounds more human and theres variation
and that seems to work out for me and its more time effective then trying to map an entire song out, it makes it a less daunting task

hope that helps

Oh and for the tempo you can set markers on the timeline to change the tempo that way you always are on the grid and the metronome works with it the entire time.

Mn3mic

Reaction score
I program all my drums in Cubase via drum map editor - great and fast since I am not a fan of GuitarPro.

Basic setup: Cubase5 - midi drum map editor - Steven Slate Drums via Kontakt - EQ, compressor, reverb = Lotsa phun :)

Stiman

Reaction score
For those of you who go: GuitarPro > drum pluggin > DAW

I'm planning to export all my drums from GuitarPro to midi and bringing it in to my DAW, then I would assign each drum to it's own track, and mix down each drum separately to individual wav. files so as to no longer need to host the pluggin. Then do all my EQing ad compression with the wav. files. Does this make any sense? Is there a real benefit to leaving the pluggin active and doing all the mixing and EQing within the plugin?

Could someone explain in a bit of detail how they get from the midi file from GuitarPro to the final mixdown of the drums?

Maybe there's a good tutorial on this somewhere?

Thanks

dantejayg85

Se7en
Reaction score
^ In my opinion leaving the plugin open and using the midi is more convenient, because you can go back and edit the drums, I usually program the drum parts and then render mixes and listen to them for a week sometimes more and if I hear a fill I don't like or I think of a new fill or new kick drum pattern etc, then I can go back in the session and modify it.

I used to do the same and make each track into a WAV, but then I wasn't able to go back in and edit without having to open the plugin anyway. Plus I like to mix and match samples, some times I'll use the kick from addictive but use or blend a snare from metal headz/DFH etc, It's really just a preference thing I don't think theres really a right or wrong way tho.

sexybacon

Call me Jason
Reaction score
I program Superior 2.0 (avatar kit all day erryday) through REAPER's Piano roll! It's how I've always done it because it's fast, easy, and helps my flow :p

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
@JymE - I go almost the same route, using the pads on my R8 MkII Human Rhythm Composer. At this point, though, I've added a Yamaha DD55 to input when I want to play it all at the same time.

I record the MIDI onto my Yamaha QY70, and lock the MIDI to my Boss multitrack.

Someday I might make the leap to software, but I'm used to laying down tracks live, without a lot of the edits people have access to in recording software. I've always done it that way, because a lot of looped and sequenced stuff doesn't sound live or spontaneous to me. Maybe things have come along since last I checked....

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
For those of you who go: GuitarPro > drum pluggin > DAW

I'm planning to export all my drums from GuitarPro to midi and bringing it in to my DAW, then I would assign each drum to it's own track, and mix down each drum separately to individual wav. files so as to no longer need to host the pluggin. Then do all my EQing ad compression with the wav. files. Does this make any sense? Is there a real benefit to leaving the pluggin active and doing all the mixing and EQing within the plugin?

Could someone explain in a bit of detail how they get from the midi file from GuitarPro to the final mixdown of the drums?

Maybe there's a good tutorial on this somewhere?

Thanks

For sure keep the plugin active. As said, you can then edit the drums as you go - rather than having it set it stone like you'd gone to a studio and recorded them. If it's a matter of computer performance, most DAWs have a 'freeze' function for synths where it will bounce it all to audio and disable the synth but you can just unfreeze at any time and it remembers how it all was.

Just because you are keeping the plugin active doesn't mean you have to do your processing on the plugin, by the way. I don't use any of the mixing in Superior Drummer, I do it all with plugins in my DAW but I keep Superior Drummer 'live' all the time as I said.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Guitar Pro -> Reaper -> Superior 2.0

Pretty much what I do too. Except I use Tuxguitar, which is an open source clone of guitar pro and actually works on OS X. And logic instead of Reaper.
I usually bounce my drums to a track when I'm done, because if I keep s2.0 "live", it automatically puts the volume on max when I push play... I don't think it's a bug, because most of my plugins do this, I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the volume settings in the exported midi file...

MellowHypeDjent

Reaction score
Yeah I play the drums with my keyboard (sometimes each drum separately depending on the section) from S2.0, quantize, then open up the piano roll and edit the little nuances.