How does a Strandberg Boden Prog 5 Bass compare to a Dingwall NG3

• Thread starter BeyondAntares
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
I know I'm supre late to the party but I really enjoy playing and tracking Bass. I recently tried a Dingwall NG3 and fell in love with the B string and the comfort in playing the bass. However, with the wider neck width, my had did cramp up playing the 6 string, so I'd say the 5 string would be my sweet spot.

How do the two compare? For players of both instruments (regardless if you sold one) were you happy with the purchase and enoyed playing it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have not played the Strandberg but own 4 Dingwalls and can't praise them enough. Strictly comparing the scale lengths, I'd go with an Ibanez Soundgear multiscale over the Boden for a lot less money. The low B is half an inch longer than the Boden as well and should be great for drop A, maybe drop G.

Otherwise, I'd look at something with a minimum of 36" on the low B if you're tuning down. Dingwall's 36.25" (NG and D Roc 4/Custom shop 4 strings) is perfect for drop A and normal sized strings. If you're going lower you may need heavier strings and a nut replacement depending on how you play. I liked it down to drop G with regular strings but it was getting a little loose.

The 37" scale works well down to drop E with regular gauge strings (for me) because I dislike super thick strings. I think it's absolutely perfect for drop G or F# and with normal string sets.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you're in love with that 37" low B accept no substitute.

The Strandberg is okay, but you can get a Canadian ABZ for about the same price and it's a far better made instrument.
Absolutely. Depending on your build request and your patience for waiting it might be the best option. Otherwise the Dingwall imports are incredible performers for the money.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
QC is probably way better on the Strandberg , made in china NG3’s are a huge gamble imo

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know I'm supre late to the party but I really enjoy playing and tracking Bass. I recently tried a Dingwall NG3 and fell in love with the B string and the comfort in playing the bass. However, with the wider neck width, my had did cramp up playing the 6 string, so I'd say the 5 string would be my sweet spot.

How do the two compare? For players of both instruments (regardless if you sold one) were you happy with the purchase and enoyed playing it?
I take it there are no Strandbergs near you that you can try out? What about any of the other Ibanez multiscales like the BTB or EHB? Spector?

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Dingwalls are great, I was shocked at how good mine was considering it was made in China. The strandberg bass seems vastly overpriced for what you get.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would agree with that though I haven't tried a Strandberg. But I likely would have skipped it anyways due to the scale length.... I would have gone with an Ibanez instead. I for sure would have gotten a Soundgear multiscale if they made them 37" on the 5 string models.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I forget, did you go through a couple with qc issues?
Yup . Minor sanding flaws for the neck , and paint scratches for the first one , and then lopsided pick guard and debatable neck joint for the replacement . It’s still sitting at the local shop actually .

I’m not trying to rip a company based off my experience , but it’s well known they try and make a big deal about the QC for all models happen at their shop in Canada . Meanwhile I pick up a MIM Fender Jazz bass off a wall with better build quality for a third of the price . I’ve actually heard rumours they’re going to switch to Korean or Indonesian factories if possible due to this being fairly regular . I have picked up flawless DRoc models off the wall , but too hit or miss for me . Like I said , I’d only go custom shop , and I plan on getting a custom shop one day , but no china stuff by Dingwall for me . With so many other companies pushing multi scales designs , I feel like people should give them a shot as well , and not just buy the “ cool thing “ instantly . I just sold my Ibanez BTB sadly , but I got to play their new 37-34” version multi scale and that thing was literally flawless . Or even the Spector Dimension ( they still having pickup issues for the 5 string version ? Anyone know ? ) . I know Peter from Dingwall was awesome and he actually worked with guys at my local shop too , but he’s since left and I’m not too sure what’s going on with Dingwall . The Strandberg Prog bass seems amazing and I love the headless design , and I feel as if that weird angled neck combined with a multi scale would be a perfect match . That being said , they are Indonesian built and cost about the same as a custom shop bass where I live , so it’s also a trade off .

As well , I actually feel 37- 34” is too big . If I go custom I’d want a 37-35” . The sharp angle of the 3” was really odd to me as well , regardless of the bass , so ideally I’d even say a more “ standard ” fan like 2” is perfect . I believe the Strandberg is a bit shorter . Also , I’ve gone drop A on a 34” jazz bass with stock strings … sure it wasn’t optimal , but you could still go out and play it . People over think the scale lengths for sure . 35” is already perfect in my opinion for most tunings , so a 36.5” for example is already giving you an extra inch and a half to drop that low string down . It’s already considerably more than needed . If I needed to go that low , I’ll be pitch shifting from now on , and I have talked with many people who use NG3’s who tour professionally that just do that live . Also finding strings for multiscales suck haha

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve actually heard rumours they’re going to switch to Korean or Indonesian factories

The D-Roc Standard 5-strings are already made in SK. The limited run of Hellboy basses were too.

If imports have the one piece bridge, they're SK, if there are the individual mono bridges, they're China.

The plan was to move everything to SK, but the pandemic made setting up the production very very difficult and it's running behind, which is why the Hellboys took like twice as long and why only a single model is made there thus far. The NG and regular Combustion stuff is in such high demand that they need to stick with existing Chinese manufacturing until they can get something else up to speed which doesn't seem possible right now.

I've seen and worked on some wonky Combustions and even some rough NGs, but generally they're still fairly good, much better than a lot of the Strandberg stuff I've had, and I've had a bunch.

But I think the best value in the Dingwall lineup is the ABZ, if you don't make any upgrades they're cheaper than some NG configurations, and if you go modest they still come in around the price of the Strandberg basses.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s luck of the draw like anything . Just hard when it’s a $3000 gamble and a year wait .

Did not realize some of the drocs are made here , that is cool . Only the 5 though ? I know they have a custom shop version , why would they make a custom MIC and a DRoc 5 MIC but not the 4’s ? Unless that was just the Hellboy ones , which would make sense .

I’d actually get a J or P , due to them having a smaller scale option as I mentioned above .

@MaxOfMetal , do you work at a shop or distributor ? Something I’d love to do if it paid better

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It’s luck of the draw like anything . Just hard when it’s a $3000 gamble and a year wait .

Did not realize some of the drocs are made here , that is cool . Only the 5 though ? I know they have a custom shop version , why would they make a custom MIC and a DRoc 5 MIC but not the 4’s ? Unless that was just the Hellboy ones , which would make sense .

I’d actually get a J or P , due to them having a smaller scale option as I mentioned above .

@MaxOfMetal , do you work at a shop or distributor ? Something I’d love to do if it paid better

By "SK" I mean South Korea.

So they make custom ones in the Canada, the Standard 5s and derivatives in South Korea, and the Standard 4s in China.

The entire Combustion range, and NG range is Chinese made.

I haven't worked for a retailer in many years, but I still keep up with some I know, and I still buy too much gear so tend to talk shop with the owners and management of some shops I frequent.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
If it's the 37" B you love and you want to be a bit more frugal, there's that new Ibanez BTB 5 that's 35-37" multiscale. It's a fair bit cheaper than an NG, and like half the price of the strandberg. Could be worth checking out.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't tried the Strandberg but I have a couple Dingwalls and used to have a headless Ibanez with the same 33-35 scale as Strandbergs. I also say go for the Dingwall. I love Strandberg guitars, but the best thing about them is the alternate thigh cut that lets you hold them at an angle; I think bass scale is too long for that to work very well, so Strandberg loses some advantage there. And yeah that extra 2 inches on the 5th string makes a big difference.