How long did it take before you were okay with hearing your voice?

• Thread starter Fenriswolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just barely okay with hearing my recorded guitar playing. I hate hearing my own voice. I am trying to get over it. Any type of hardcore punk, yelling, death metal growling, etc. sounds comical unless you really commit to it. I have not been quite able to get to that level yet.
The funny thing is my death metal vocals I'm most proud of. It's actual singing that gives me anxiety.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I was always told I have a beautiful singing voice, though I never trained or took care of it, so my technique sucks and my range where I sound good isn't that great. I don't know how training can help with the range thing though. Anyway what pisses me off the most is that hard rock and metal, which are the only genres that I really love, are the ones that I can't sing. I can't sing with a raspy voice whatsoever. Either squeaky clean vocals or full on unhinged death metal screaming (without hurting myself). Just sucks, man...

I try to compensate with effects but still... Wish I could sing like 90s grunge type of thing.. 😢

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I generally hate hearing myself talk. I only do it for some of my videos where I need to give some context or elaborate on certain details of the video.

I can do clean singing pretty decently but I never share it with people beyond some family members that are really into music. I never share my harsh vocals except for when I'm fucking around and come up with something funny.

That why I made this post. Singing I can nail this

When it comes to talkin I sound like the dude version of this

Then you look at my redneck ass

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I am just barely okay with hearing my recorded guitar playing. I hate hearing my own voice. I am trying to get over it. Any type of hardcore punk, yelling, death metal growling, etc. sounds comical unless you really commit to it. I have not been quite able to get to that level yet.

I'm fine with fucking up on guitar.you can rerecord that or punch it it I can do backup vocals if I have something to match to. I'm still fucked up because someone said I have a relaxing voice when in my mind I sound like the dude version of Teeter from Yellowstone.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I'm still not happy with my vocals. The thing I have learned lately is to watch your vocals, and cut the boomy frequencies (and those only).

Also, we are all guitar players, but finding a mic that suits your voice will make things A LOT easier. Yes, that means buying the more expensive microphones. It's like guitars, yeah, the inexpensive guitars are okay, but if you're serious you really want something more than a $300 Ibanez. Same with microphones.

Stephen

Collibus/Scar Symmetry/Ex-Devin Townsend
Reaction score
I still don't like hearing my own voice. I've gotten to the point where I tolerate it though.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I still don't like hearing my own voice. I've gotten to the point where I tolerate it though.

The only thing I have going for me it my set up right now is very bass heavy, so I have a little Sam Elliot to my voice. When it comes to talking though...I'm still just the dude version of Teeter of Yellowstone. Had a 30 minute conversation because apparently I have too much of a drawl for people to understand what barb wire is.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I've always been ok with it doing backing vocals in my projects when I had a singer, never bothered me or felt weird. Singing as a front man though I was always of the impression that I just couldn't do it, couldn't sing loud or scream without cracking. That is until I finally let loose one day. Was at home playing Korn's Helmet in the Bush cranked up and just sang along and sang at full blast and well holy shit apparently I had the ability to do it,and I liked it. Did a few more songs from other bands and sang along full blast and those also went very well. So I think I was just nervously holding back all this time.

We'll see though. When I finally finish this dang cover of Helmet in the Bush that I'm working on and will sing I'll be sharing it and y'all could be the judge if I should give it a go for my own music or shut the fuck up and stay just being a guitarist lol. Hope to finish it within the next couple of weeks (not enough time in a day and the weekends).