How long does it take to get used to a 7?

• Thread starter KailM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
It really depends on the usage, if you try to apply theory, licks, improv and a more educated approach it will take a bit more time but your understanding of the instrument will be better. If you just want to play 7 string songs, like I do, then the transition is a lot easier. Personally I struggle a bit when I play 6 string songs on the 7 and have to remember not to take the lowest string into account. That's why I try to play 6 string songs with a 6 string and not a 7. Unless I'm vibing with the 7 too much to change and/or I'm being lazy lol!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
I had a heavy reliance on 'counting the strings up from the low E' when I got my first 7 string. It took a couple days to get myself picking the higher strings accurately.

Two things that took a lot longer was noise muting, and the ability to switch between a 6 or 8 and back to a 7 without some sort of 'feeler' warm up.

GuyB

Reaction score
If you only play in patterns, it shouldn't take more than a week.

If you want to learn all the extra 7 string notes on the whole of the fretboard it could take a year to be fluent, providing you already know all the notes on the fretboard on a 6 string.

tedtan

Reaction score
If someone already knows the notes in standard tuning, adding a low B string shouldn’t cause much of a problem since the notes are the same as on the existing B string, just two octaves lower. Reading them in standard notation may take a bit of getting used to, but otherwise it shouldn’t be an issue.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
When I first started playing 7's back in 2006 someone on this forum gave me the best advice I got anywhere. don't look down across the strings look, the bottom 6 are still the same.
I started playing just normal 6 string songs on it (RG7620 best 1rst 7 money can buy IMO ), then when I got it all figured out in standard tuning and got comfortable playing an E chord on the 5th fret etc, it didn't take me long at all. now almost 20 years later I switchback and forth between my 6's and 7 effortlessly, I actually prefer playing my 7 over almost any of my 6's but since I play is 'Dad Rock" classic rock band I have to play 6's when I gig. Once you figure out th n ew intervals you have available to you it's a piece of cake.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Basically just start playing on one and give it a week. I like B standard more than drop tunings on a seven personally.

Dayn

Reaction score
I went from 6 to 8. It was fairly easy, about a week or two to adjust my muscle memory. Took a few weeks to adjust from 8 to 10 which had no inlays and a bigger scale.

You went from 0 to 6, so you'll be fine. If you have any doubts, ask yourself: do you find it difficult to play the 1st to 5th strings without hitting the low E? You'll be fine. (And if you answered 'yes', then practice will fix it.)

bjjman

Reaction score
Seem a lot of people are the same as me - 6 to 7 = no biggie. 7 to 8 multiscale = arrrgghh. I still like my 8 but I just don't know if I'll ever feel as comfortable with it as I do with 6s and 7s.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
If you just want to play, it's a no brainer.
If you want to learn shapes and note positions...well, that's about your learning speed