How many potato chips?

• Thread starter gnoll
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I love salsa with tortilla chips but the thing I never think to make is ceviche, I love that stuff.
My wife loves ceviche. I make her my version every couple of weeks for her to take to work. I use talapia or cod, tomato, green onion or shallot, cucumber, jalapeno, and lime and lemon juice... served with tortilla chips. I don't greatly care for it but she digs it and it's pretty healthy compared to other stuff that she could be eating.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Some of the nic pouches can be sketchy, I forgot about that. I've heard of people getting screwed up teeth and gums from them, but I have one in every waking hour for years now and have zero impacts from it. I don't know if it's people's respective mouth bacterial chemistry, or if they don't brush and floss, but I know a lot of those folks are also sleeping with them in and that's downright dumber than disco.

I just eat the thc/cbd gummies now. Quit the combustion.
I have been on a huge Faded Fruits (edibles) kick since things became legal here in Old Dominion. Also about the point my Goldfish kick started, hmmm. One thing about the Goldfish is they seem to vary quite a bit from box to box, so if I get a bland box I'll save it to throw on soups and stuff.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Some of the nic pouches can be sketchy, I forgot about that. I've heard of people getting screwed up teeth and gums from them, but I have one in every waking hour for years now and have zero impacts from it. I don't know if it's people's respective mouth bacterial chemistry, or if they don't brush and floss, but I know a lot of those folks are also sleeping with them in and that's downright dumber than disco.

I have been on a huge Faded Fruits (edibles) kick since things became legal here in Old Dominion. Also about the point my Goldfish kick started, hmmm. One thing about the Goldfish is they seem to vary quite a bit from box to box, so if I get a bland box I'll save it to throw on soups and stuff.

I'm a goldfish fan too. My problem lately has been the harvest cheddar sun chips.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Reading how some of you eat chips and how much has made me lose my appetite. I eat chips, but I generally, as a rule, have my girlfriend cut me off well before the "slightly nauseated" phase. Also, doritos and pringles? Yuck.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm probably misremembering a bit, but there was an Onion headline "scientists find gene responsible for eating the whole goddamn bag".

I like potato chips.
Shit, my memory isn't that bad:

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I love salsa with tortilla chips but the thing I never think to make is ceviche, I love that stuff.
I love ceviche, but it's not as easy to keep around as salsa for me. It's basically salsa that I have to eat immediately, and I usually don't have any damn seafood on hand when I want it.

gnoll

Reaction score
Good to hear I'm not some weirdo outlier freak after all!

I also try not to buy this stuff though, and I'm mostly succesful. But I couldn't gain weight if I tried, so I guess part of my brain is like "hey why SHOULDN'T you live off of only candy and snacks?"

I think finding some really kickass fruit is a good help. Not something that's like "eh, I guess it's healthy" but something that's actually good. Then I can get excited about that instead of potato chips. Especially since each fruit is only in season for part of the year, so it's like get it while you can!

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Once in a while (like less than once a year) I let myself buy a bag of Tim's jalapeño chips and a jar of French Onion dip, knowing that's what I'm having for dinner that night. I mostly try to eat healthy these days but you gotta live a little!

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Good to hear I'm not some weirdo outlier freak after all!

I also try not to buy this stuff though, and I'm mostly succesful. But I couldn't gain weight if I tried, so I guess part of my brain is like "hey why SHOULDN'T you live off of only candy and snacks?"

I think finding some really kickass fruit is a good help. Not something that's like "eh, I guess it's healthy" but something that's actually good. Then I can get excited about that instead of potato chips. Especially since each fruit is only in season for part of the year, so it's like get it while you can!
Fruits and vegetables are awesome.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Kettle Chilli Chips (has 3 kinds of chilli's in it) I went through a phase of doing a workout and then eating a whole bag for lunch, needless to say it didn't help.
Smiths BBQ Chips, my wife doesn't like them so don't buy them anymore
Thins (Lays) Light and Tangy, I don't know whats Light about them but I can't stop eating them

I haven't bought chips for myself in 2 years but seeing the kids eat them and having them at parties I can't control myself, its like when you were kids and if you left something out your brothers would eat and you'd get fuck all. Now I see my 3 boys doing the same behaviour.

Also Taki's bags are too small and you just end up finishing the whole bag anyway.

Chip companies have made the snack bags smaller, used to be 25 g and now they are 19 g (!) Feels like 3 chips now....

spudmunkey

Reaction score
An annoying thing with chips lately: the sale pricing. I might consider buying them every once in a while if i could just get 1 bag and feel like I am getting a good deal. I try to rarely buy things at full price. But so often you can't just buy one to get a sale price. You have to buy multiples or else you get zero discount...and this is just the normal supermarket, not a "bulk" store., but you end up having to buy FOUR bags, or else you feel like you're getting ripped off...and then when there's FOUR bags of chips around...it reminds me of the old Dennis Leary bit. "Hey, let's get an 8-ball (of cocaine), and it'll last us all week...and then three hours later, it's [manic screaming] 'Cmonletsgetanother8ball!Letsgetanother8ball!'"
1714360951398.png 1714361015748.png

They do this with soda, too. You often can't just get a single 12-pack on sale. To not feel ripped-off by the $10/pack full price, you have to buy four, or sometimes five when it's the occasional "buy two get three free" deal....
1714361088316.png1714361327384.png1714361307792.png

These used to be the exceptions, but more and more the last few years, these "you have to stock up to get the sale" promos are more and more the new standard.

The last couple of times I did buy chips, I think it's been twice this year, I splurged and went to World Market (FKA "Cost Plus") and got some imported chips. Super tasty and worth it as a "treat", and was inspired based on reviews by one of the few Instagram accounts I follow:
1714361889997.png

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
That sucks! ^

My neck of the woods, a bag of Doritos is 6 bucks. I think Fritos are about the same.

Only time I get chips nowadays are when State Line or Utz are on sale for $2 or sub-$2.