How many potato chips?

• Thread starter gnoll
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
First I put some sour cream in a bowl and then I dump half a pack of chips on it. I might eat it with my fingers or sometimes with a fork - yes a fork!
Be aware, that sour cream doesn't work with every kind of chip - I've found that onions, tomato, salsa or spicy tasting chips work out great.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
First I put some sour cream in a bowl and then I dump half a pack of chips on it. I might eat it with my fingers or sometimes with a fork - yes a fork!
Be aware, that sour cream doesn't work with every kind of chip - I've found that onions, tomato, salsa or spicy tasting chips work out great.
I'm fairly certain that I can trace the event that triggered my lactose intolerance back to a tub of Sour cream 'n onion dip from CVS. I ate that whole thing with a bag of chips and then blew it out my ass and life was never the same again.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
I'm not as big a fan of barbecue chips as I was when I was young, but I killed a whole bag of these in less than a day. Even the bag image makes them look hearty and excellent. Love/hate relationship with kettle chips because I almost always wind up cutting my mouth open or biting down onto my cheek somehow. Good shit tho.

81-yBLZQRLL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not as big a fan of barbecue chips as I was when I was young, but I killed a whole bag of these in less than a day. Even the bag image makes them look hearty and excellent. Love/hate relationship with kettle chips because I almost always wind up cutting my mouth open or biting down onto my cheek somehow. Good shit tho.

View attachment 142977
The Boulder avacado oil & sea salt is the shit. IMHO, Boulder black pepper > Kettle brand black pepper.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I always eat all of them, especially if I bought them myself. If I'm at a friend's place and someone puts chips out, I'll try to limit myself to only a few every once in a while, but usually I end up eating all of it anyway :lol: Oh and if they're really plain ones I might not eat all of them unless there's some really good dipping sauce with them. There's a few brands (mostly corn chips, but also some potato ones) that are almost like eating slightly salted pieces of cardboard, and those are basically the only chips I'm able to resist in any way.

Oh and my favorite kind of chips? Salt & Vinegar, pretty much any brand except Taffel which are just too mild. Taffel in general kinda sucks IMO.

zappatton2

Reaction score
I always had great metabolism, even now at 48, and I tended to assume being thin meant being generally healthy, so half a bag of chips = no big deal.

Well, after a (mild) heart attack and a realization that I am in fact very not healthy, chips have been mostly stuck off the menu. But if I have to indulge, I'll pour a small amount into a bowl, rather than grab the bag. I've learned that it's not good enough to keep saying "this is the last one" while watching my hand keep going back for more, lol.

Also, I tend to get the low sodium ones and add vinegar, and found recently when I actually did steal a couple of legit salt & vinegar chips, I was so not used to the sodium levels, I swear it seared off the top layer of my tongue!

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
I'm the odd guy out. I will literally eat one Cheeto, Skittle, chip, etc. and put the bag away. I just want the bit of taste and I'm good. My friends have called me out on it...

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Over recent years I've gravitated more towards tortilla chips and salsa over flavored potato chips. But it sucks because you just can't find bagged tortilla chips that are anywhere close to being as good as your local Mexican restaurant. It's obv a freshness thing but I think that it's also the way they're prepared... like fried in oil as opposed to however they mass produce the bagged chips. Restaurant tortilla chips also have much better texture and crunch.

Also sucks that salsa is so expensive. Would be cool if my local grocery did some salsa-tasting days once in a while cause I just can't afford to blow $6 + on some boutique salsa that I likely won't enjoy. I could make good salsa at home but most times I don't want the hassle... just wanna eat.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I always had great metabolism, even now at 48, and I tended to assume being thin meant being generally healthy, so half a bag of chips = no big deal.

Well, after a (mild) heart attack and a realization that I am in fact very not healthy, chips have been mostly stuck off the menu. But if I have to indulge, I'll pour a small amount into a bowl, rather than grab the bag. I've learned that it's not good enough to keep saying "this is the last one" while watching my hand keep going back for more, lol.

Also, I tend to get the low sodium ones and add vinegar, and found recently when I actually did steal a couple of legit salt & vinegar chips, I was so not used to the sodium levels, I swear it seared off the top layer of my tongue!
My girlfriend cuts me off. In reality, I hand them to her after a few minutes and she puts them away.

I'd love it if more stuff that my girlfriend and I enjoy had a low/no sodium option.

jaxadam

Reaction score
These are a weakness of mine.

71Ls-aucjoL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing better than adding some chips in the middle of a sandwich; PB&J? Throw some classic ruffles right in the middle of that some bitch, get you some salty and sweet, smooth and crunch. Ham & cheese with mayo? Throw some spicy chips/fries in that bad boy and let it rip.

sleewell

Reaction score
I don't like chips that much. I kinda like pringles and cheeze its. But sweets are def much more my demise than salty stuff.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have never dipped those crab chips in anything, but you've given me an idea: I used to make this clam dip for chips which was basically cream cheese, and can of chopped clams, and some other stuff. I might have to experiment.
I've never had a dip like that and it also sounds tasty af

@sleewell I'm on the see-food diet...

brector

Reaction score
If you like BBQ chips w/ a little spice, stay away from Grippos. My wife is from OH and introduced me to them. They are addictive!

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Over recent years I've gravitated more towards tortilla chips and salsa over flavored potato chips. But it sucks because you just can't find bagged tortilla chips that are anywhere close to being as good as your local Mexican restaurant. It's obv a freshness thing but I think that it's also the way they're prepared... like fried in oil as opposed to however they mass produce the bagged chips. Restaurant tortilla chips also have much better texture and crunch.
Yeah I'm pretty much done buying most Mission brand tortilla chips. I have a certain nostalgia for Tostito's, so I'll still get them every so often, but Mission, Calidad, Santitas, and store brand chips are no longer on the shopping list. If I'm going to buy tortilla chips, they need to have shiny spots, and there needs to be tiny beads of oil on the inside of the bag.

The closest I've found to "restaurant style" is Juantonio's. The second best are the ones they used to sell at the main supermarket chain that were sold in the deli department...but a couple of years ago, right when they were bought by their competitor, their tortilla chips took a dive. Now I don't even consider them anymore, which was a big bimmer. Overall they weren't as good as a Juantonio's, but they tasted fresher.

In terms of potato chips, the best I've had in a while were these couple:

I'm not s huge fan of cour cream and onion, mostly because I'm not a huge fan of sour cream...so this was like the taking the best parts of it, and removing the part I didn't like. Had a dairy-creaminess, with the onion, and the cheese had some good depth do it.
1715301379665.png

Make no mistake, these are a salt BOMB, but aside from an odd sweetness, they were super, super good. It reminded me a lot of the Chicken in a Biscuit crackers (but equally as salty)
1715301473288.png

These were...meh, ok. I got my hopes up because when I first took a bit, they had a slight hint of a flavor that reminded me of my long-discontinued-but-all-time-favorite chip...but after that first hint, it was kind of a blend let down. In a vaccuum, they are probably OK...but they got my hopes up.
1715301648386.png

My all time favorite, but has been discontinued:
1715301694186.png

Latest posts