How much do you like playing guitar?

• Thread starter gnoll
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Up until March of this year, the level of liking to play guitar would be have been about 8-9. I had time to take guitar lessons and was enjoying time practicing and playing guitar. However, once the Covid lockdowns began, my Company laid off a ton of people, including one person from my department. The layoff of the one person led to the rest of the department (there are now 3 of us) to work 12-hour days during the week plus 3-5 on Saturdays. I had to stop doing guitar lessons because I was exhausted after work and I didn't have time (or the energy) to practice. Now, my level is absolutely zero.

Remster

Reaction score
It used to be up there at 10 but I have been playing much less as I used to in the first few years...probably because pool(billiards) has become something I'm more passionate about. I'd like to be a Canadian Champion one day so all my free time is dedicated to train by myself or with a coach to turn pro and compete against the country's elite eventually. If I play guitar for 1h straight nowadays... it's exceptional

ajsfreily

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love playing guitar, it is a 10 when I feel inspired.

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how the answer could be anything less than a 10. Any time I see a guitar I want to pick it up and play it. Whether I'm feeling inspired or not is not a part of the equation. Heck, I spend way too much time just looking at guitars on the internet that I'll never even touch!

Themistocles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
8 on a bad day, 9 on a good day... getting a good tacke while recording something interesting is a 10. Helps that I like the sounds I use, a lot.

gnoll

Reaction score
It's been really interesting to read the replies in this thread.

And when I get that tone, mmmm, heaven. Like a drug.
Perhaps you too have heard it, the one that makes you disappear into the music the seems to just happen while you take the ride.

Awesome, hehe. I never felt anything like that, for me tone is more either good enough or not good enough. It doesn't really "do" anything for me I guess.

Wouldn't bother playin if the best you can muster is a 4.

But I like making music :p

It's a means to an end I suppose.

Reaction score
Most of the time, I have to force myself to pick up my guitar, otherwise, I know I won't. It's not that I hate it. The opposite in fact. I love it, I just don't have time for it. To give you an idea, despite COVID and working from home 100% of the time, I just had a 2 month stretch where I didn't pick it up at all. Now that I have some stretches of free time while I'm logged in to work, I'm going to use those stretches to practice.

10 when I can get into a routine that fits guitar into it and actually work on improving my technical abilities
7 or 8 when I'm just jamming out to a song I know.
3 when I force myself to pick it up.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
10 because it’s how I write songs and express myself. Fun stuff. I never don’t want to play, even when deep into writing something and it’s driving me mad.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It used to be up there at 10 but I have been playing much less as I used to in the first few years...probably because pool(billiards) has become something I'm more passionate about. I'd like to be a Canadian Champion one day so all my free time is dedicated to train by myself or with a coach to turn pro and compete against the country's elite eventually. If I play guitar for 1h straight nowadays... it's exceptional
BDDC1C53-1541-4D67-A256-C33544637FAD.jpeg

PatientMental76

Reaction score
Its been 4 months since i picked up mine but... new strings are on the way! Its like a woman, too much you get bored & frustrated but after a long break you want it again!

Annonnymous

Reaction score
I don't like playing guitar for the sake of playing it - I'm not good enough to come up with cool stuff on the spot. But if I develop and idea, or play a song I really like, or learn a new technique that makes me feel good about my "progress" (if there is such), or even better - play with a band of my own (playing our songs, not covers) - I'd say about 7?
But that's fairly high, cause I can't think of anything that I'd rate above 7. 10 should be some kind of quiet, drug enduced euphoria according to my undestanding of that scale of enjoyment.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
I only play when I feel like playing, and that gives me a 10/10 enjoyment. The problem is that I feel like playing maybe 3 times a month, nowadays.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like playing guitar for the sake of playing it - I'm not good enough to come up with cool stuff on the spot. But if I develop and idea, or play a song I really like, or learn a new technique that makes me feel good about my "progress" (if there is such), or even better - play with a band of my own (playing our songs, not covers) - I'd say about 7?
But that's fairly high, cause I can't think of anything that I'd rate above 7. 10 should be some kind of quiet, drug enduced euphoria according to my undestanding of that scale of enjoyment.

The drug is seratonin.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
love it, solid 9! (leaving the 10 for stuff you don't discuss in public)

I think I play around 2 hours a day, and some more on writing stuff.

A day without making music is a lost day....

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I used to love it, but so much of my issue comes with not having a “space” to play in. I don’t like sitting on the edge of the bed, I can’t really play on the couch if the woman is out there (and she always is, works from home etc). With the weather getting shitty I won’t be able to play outside anymore. I loved having an area I could just plug in and go, now I have to wait until the house is empty.

I did get an FM3 so I’ll be able to jam into headphones but having an inspiring space means so much, and I didn’t know that until we moved to our current spot.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Been interesting reading these replies. I quit for 6 years and came back this year. At the mo, its about 6/7 for guitar playing and 8/9 for mixing atm. Chasing a sick mix sound is like crack to me

Repo251

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
“Means to an end I suppose “, another underwhelming description of the magic of music making...

nikki-k

Reaction score
I love music, started on piano (self taught) at age 5. Only reason a 9 and not 10 is because I love all instruments, but guitar is my favorite of them all. So, maybe 10 for guitar then, and 9 for all others? Maybe guitar 10, bass, keys 9, and 8 for all others? (sigh)

When I came out of an almost 5 day coma, and was told I was now a paraplegic for life, my first question was if I would keep use of my hands/arms, and any neurological damage. When told yes, and no, I likely sighed loud enough for them to hear me. They asked if I was ok, and would I like to see someone to help help me through this. I told them no, thanks, all good, because as long as I could use my hands, and my head was same as before, I could play guitar, and other instruments, and use a computer to record and do other stuff. Big oops on the piano part though, since no more use of pedals, and I was just starting learning drums, so I had to sell the kit I bought. But, made a small switch thing I could hold in my mouth to trigger a momentary switch, which allowed me to play piano via MIDI keyboard. So... yeah... music is my life, and all instruments are 10. Guitar is just a little more :)