How Much of a Difference is 26.5 Scale vs 25.5

• Thread starter PhantomLimbFisting
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PhantomLimbFisting

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Plan to exclusively play in B standard. string tension-wise, I would prefer 25.5 but just not sure what the differences are for the distance between frets/playability. When I have played 26.5s in the past it felt like a huge difference from 25.5 but I'm wondering if it's all placebo. Essentially I don't care about the extra string tension and am wondering if the 26.5 will be harder to play. Context is im deciding between a used LTD H-1007 and Hellraiser C-7, both tune o matic, both mint. LTD is a 2015 or something so it still has the emg 81-7. Main difference is the HR is a lot more convenient for me to get to (location). Is scale a make or break? and any other general thoughts about comparing these guitars? Apreciate your help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thesius

Reaction score
bout an inch

I play on 25.5 and 26.5 often. They both feel great to me. Scales are make or break to a lot of people. I cannot stand Gibson scales so I rarely touch my Les Paul.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I think the neck profile makes or breaks the scale length personally. For example, my old 26.5 in Schecter SLS elite feels like a stretch to do quick runs down on the low end of the fretboard versus my 27 inch Tele Neck which honestly doesn't feel all that different than my 25.5 inch one. The SLS neck is razor thin and the tele Neck isn't thick but it's not anywhere near thin.

I for one also am in the camp that 25.5 is fine for B :shrug:

Thesius

Reaction score
I think the neck profile makes or breaks the scale length personally. For example, my old 26.5 in Schecter SLS elite feels like a stretch to do quick runs down on the low end of the fretboard versus my 27 inch Tele Neck which honestly doesn't feel all that different than my 25.5 inch one. The SLS neck is razor thin and the tele Neck isn't thick but it's not anywhere near thin.

I for one also am in the camp that 25.5 is fine for B :shrug:

Don't tell anyone but I'm in drop G# on my 25.5

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just got an HR C-7 (26.5”), and I’ve never been happier with a seven-string. I am in standard B-E with a 9-11-16-26-36-46-62 set. The extra tension feels great. The extra scale length over a 25.5” is pretty noticeable (to me), but I like that, too. If you are already pushing your limits to make a particular stretch or chord, you’ll notice it. If you are pretty comfortable doing what you do on a 25.5”, you’ll probably be fine.

xzacx

Reaction score
It's a big difference in tension to me, as someone who likes really light tension. I would have to tune way down for that to be realistic—I tune down 9s a half step on 25.5" scales even—I really only like Gibson scale for standard tuning. From a reach standpoint, it's no big deal at all, but I just don't like the extra tension.

JohnSacrimoni

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's a big difference in tension to me, as someone who likes really light tension. I would have to tune way down for that to be realistic—I tune down 9s a half step on 25.5" scales even—I really only like Gibson scale for standard tuning. From a reach standpoint, it's no big deal at all, but I just don't like the extra tension.
Im the same. I would have to use 8.5s on B standard to he happy. But the reach bothers me too.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
You'll probably notice a slight difference on the lower frets, but it's not really that big a deal. I do think 26.5 sounds "better" when you're tuning to A or lower, but it's a subtle difference and plenty of folks get by just fine with 25.5 guitars tuned super low.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
The difference is only 1" in total length.

You may really feel it at the 1st fret to nut if stretching a run at 1st position. You also may notice you have just a bit more room between frets in the high registers.

Someone mentioned that neck profile will make as much difference in neck feel as much as that extra inch. Tunings can make a difference, but string gauges can compensate too. I have an RG at A with 11-64 strings. That has a bit more tension than my RGD at A with 10-59. For the RGD to feel like it has the same tension with the same strings, I have to tune down to G#.

Another way to think of the difference is that if you were to put a capo at the 1st fret on the 26.5" guitar, you'd essentially have a 25" scale from that capo to the nut.

Just play around with whatever feels good to you. If you need to tune lower, longer scales or changing string gauges can both make a difference. The extra long scales really make the biggest difference if you want to tune lower and are maxed out on the strings your tuners can handle.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean it's not tight but it works fine for me. I don't beat the piss out of it either... I really don't like super heavy strings or stiff strings.

Back to the OP, maybe you could put some heavier gauge strings on the Ltd of you got that one? Or is that something you've tried and not liked?

oceanrose

Reaction score
For drop A in 25.5 scale, i normally use 62 + 46-10 and can get a great tone, feel, slinkiness, without strings being loose by any means (i prefer the light strings to be 10s with low action vs 9s but with slightly higher action in this tuning as i like its feel and tone this way more). However with a 26.5 i tend to have to use 62 + 46-9 with the same tuning, but i like its feel less despite similar tension as it sets up quite differently. Generally for 26.5 scales, the bass strings are just a slight bit tighter and can work great for low tunings without having to use thick strings (some do not like the tone of strings that are too thick), but its the playability and bendability and vibrato fluidity that is affected negatively for me when going up in scale lengths if not tuning lower.

Overall, if im in B standard or drop A, id stick with 25.5. If im tuning lower, i find 26.5 with 60 + 46 - 10 great for Ab standard. And feels similar to a 62 + 46-10 in drop A on a 25.5.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A lot of it for me on 7 strings is the neck profile. Granted I've not yet had the chance to try a 7 in anything longer than 25.5. But I have found that the thinner necks, for me the Sterling By Music Man Richardson 7 has the best neck I've ever played on a 7 string. Actually found that guitar more comfortable than most 6's (makes me wonder how nice the USA model feels) I'd say if you are in B standard souly 25.5 would be fine. Unless you want that extra inch, which should brighten the guitar up slightly.

mrdm53

Reaction score
Both feels good to me. I just using a bit smaller gauge for same tuning:

B standard
26.5: 9-46 + 60
25.5 : 10-46 + 60/62

I loved 26.5 because of less cramped space in high register

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From a playing perspective, it drives me insane. :lol:

I switch between 7s and 6s all the time, though, so I like them all to be the same scale. Interestingly, 24.75" doesn't bother me as much, for whatever reason.