How Shitty My Food Allergies Are

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
So I have a pretty retarded and mostly unavoidable list of allergies.

- Garlic
- Corn
- Black Pepper
- Fish & Shellfish
- Iodine, (includes iodized salt)
- Grapes
- Beer, (I'm totally cool w/this one, I hate drinking)
- Cantaloupe
- Cranberries
- Cinnamon

Mind you, my last allergy test was done well over 8 years ago and they've changed quite a bit since then. Now I'm noticing reactions to foods I thought were safe and it's beyond frustrating- to the point where I'm afraid to eat. The hardest thing to avoid is corn simply because it's in EVERYTHING. Corn syrup is found in most foods, (breads, deli meat, hot dogs & tons more) not only as a sweetener but also as a preservative, which is fucking gross.

But it's to the point now where I question being able to tour because of my allergies. I mainly just break out and get an upset stomach... but it is possible for them to eventually develop a fatal reaction over time. And of course I'm one of the thousands in this country who doesn't have health insurancem so I'm pretty much fucked.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyferguson

Reaction score
viva NHS.
honestly though, that sucks beyond all measure. i feel so sorry for you! i have a friend who has tons of food allergies and has like 5 eppy pens all the time in her bag.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Damn, that sucks. I have bad allegies (but no food allergies except for fruits containing latex). Pollen season is coming and I'm sad to say that I'm retiring the contacts for a few months.

I didn't have bad allergies as a child until I was put on prednisone (a corticosteroid used to combat my ezcema). That drug fucked my system up. I gained 20-30lbs and gained all these allergies. My lil' sister (whose 5 years younger than me) has no allergies at all.

Well, I don't know what else to add, except that you are an awesome guitarist! I wish I had your chops.

thesimo

Reaction score
i think I'm allergic in some form to milk. Gives me bunged sinuses.

You have it bad though...Garlic sounds like a hard one to avoid too

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
allergies suck all around. Would be tolerable if I could take something to prevent the reaction before hand, however everything out there is aimed at clearing up sinus/seasonal allergies.

It could be worse... I could be an epi pen case like tonywozere's friend. Just glad it's not to that point just yet

anthonyferguson

Reaction score
allergies suck all around. Would be tolerable if I could take something to prevent the reaction before hand, however everything out there is aimed at clearing up sinus/seasonal allergies.

It could be worse... I could be an epi pen case like tonywozere's friend. Just glad it's not to that point just yet

yeah man. antihistamines? allergies are just histamine reactions arent they?

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
i think I'm allergic in some form to milk. Gives me bunged sinuses.

You have it bad though...Garlic sounds like a hard one to avoid too

Yeah. Milk will make me have too much mucus. It doesnt make sense for humans to have milk. Think about it.

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah. Milk will make me have too much mucus. It doesnt make sense for humans to have milk. Think about it.

Doesnt make much sense for humans to eat eggs either. It's a pretty weird food for humans if you think about it o.0

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Doesnt make much sense for humans to eat eggs either. It's a pretty weird food for humans if you think about it o.0

Welllll, they can provide a LOT of good shit like carbs and protein :9 it sucks to hear about your allergies >_< I've only had an allergy to spring in general but it seems to have pissed off. Like said before though, maybe antihistamines could help? It would SUCK to see you screwed out of touring cause of this

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score

What? You don't like the cow boob juice? :squint: LOL. I'm lactose intolerant (thanks to my non-western-european heritage). "Ranch dressing... why are you so delicious, yet so deadly to my bowels???" :lol::lol::lol:

Cyanide_Anima

Weeee!
Reaction score
mmm, eggs. tastiest abortions evarrrrr. (OT, Humans have some fucked up, double-standard values. rofl.)

yeah, food allergies suck. i have some problems with dairy, fucks up my sinuses, but i still eat it almost every day, hahaha.

try looking online for an organic local farmers/producers to get your fruits, breads, veggies, etc., you can get great package deals, the food is AWESOMELY FRESH, and a lot of the time they deliver strait to your door. All the goodness without the "Partially Hydrogenated Corn Syrup" or "Brominated Vegetable Oil". om nom nom.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
mmm, eggs. tastiest abortions evarrrrr. (OT, Humans have some fucked up, double-standard values. rofl.)

I hope I don't come across as a douche, but the eggs that we buy from a grocery store aren't fertilized.

Cyanide_Anima

Weeee!
Reaction score
Haha. Why would that sound like a douche? It's a legitimate question.

Well. Depending on which country you are in plays a factor. So, in america, almost all of the eggs are not fertilized. So that would make them technically just a hen's regular menstration here. But, for instance, I work with a lot of people from Southeast Asia, and almost daily they eat Balut eggs, or fertilized eggs.

Cyanide_Anima

Weeee!
Reaction score
Dude, i love vietnemese food!

I rent half of a huge house with a Cambodian man i also work with. He's cool as shit, and hes 56! he was a monk in thailand after the commiez raided his village and he lost his whole family. Anyways, his girlfriend is Vietnemese (and 27yo), and she cooks some of the best food i've ever had. I don't quite know what it is she cooks most of the time, hahah, usually assorted pig, stuff. Whatever it is, it's usually awesome and I don't really care what it is. couple of times it looked like whatever was on my fork was looking back at me though.

McCap

Reaction score
But it's to the point now where I question being able to tour because of my allergies.
I know what you mean...
...after years of self suggesting that I just have a weak stomach and that it is mostly in my head etc...

I'm starting to go after my food allergies more specifically.
I've come to the point where I don't step on a bus for longer journey's because there's no toilet.
I hate to drive in a car with others because I'm afraid to get on their nerves with sudden panic stops, searching for a toilet or that I will gas them to death.
I'm paranoid of all situation where I'm stuck, like theaters, ciniemas etc...

I have already found out that I have lactose intolerance, which is cool in germany as we are kind of the leaders in dairy and everything comes with a sauce that has dairies in it or comes with cheese! (Well and every ready food you buy has lactose in it...)

Next month I'm going to test other stuff, because I know it is not only lactose.

It is a pain in the ass in truest of its meaning :)
But hey there's always a way...I started to eat a lot of rice. (Luckily I'm a fan of asian cuisine anyway) and it really is good for me!

So don't give up hope :)
Cheers

RenegadeDave

Huge nerd
Reaction score
As disgusting as it may sound: Check out dehydrating fish. Any of the canned fish (Anchovies, kippers, sardines, whatever) can be dehydrated, and as long as you keep them in an air tight bag actually make quite sustaining snacks. Another great is pemmican, but that's somewhat contrived to make/acquire. If I were you, i'd get a food dehydrator, I'd dehydrate a ton of meat and vegetables and take it on the road with you. Only issue is if you're goign to be out for more than a week at a time, you'll need to cure your meat with some salts . Uncured jerky can last about a week.

Dehydrators are pretty cheap, and dehydrating stuff is fun. :p

Other than that, check into eating raw almonds with organic apples as a snack. The combination of the fat, fiber, and simple sugars make an incredibly satisfying snack.

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
I know what you mean...
...after years of self suggesting that I just have a weak stomach and that it is mostly in my head etc...

I'm starting to go after my food allergies more specifically.
I've come to the point where I don't step on a bus for longer journey's because there's no toilet.
I hate to drive in a car with others because I'm afraid to get on their nerves with sudden panic stops, searching for a toilet or that I will gas them to death.
I'm paranoid of all situation where I'm stuck, like theaters, ciniemas etc...

I have already found out that I have lactose intolerance, which is cool in germany as we are kind of the leaders in dairy and everything comes with a sauce that has dairies in it or comes with cheese! (Well and every ready food you buy has lactose in it...)

Next month I'm going to test other stuff, because I know it is not only lactose.

It is a pain in the ass in truest of its meaning :)
But hey there's always a way...I started to eat a lot of rice. (Luckily I'm a fan of asian cuisine anyway) and it really is good for me!

So don't give up hope :)
Cheers

I fully understand your situation, mate. I really feel for you and although my allergies aren't as painful as yours it still prevents us from enjoying simply things in everyday life. The key in your situation is to eat as healthy as possible. I for one am the healthiest food consumer out there because of my allergies. I do not eat processed foods, NOTHING with corn syrup, and have to freshly prepare all of my organic foods myself. Eating out is out of the question! Another good idea for you would be to take some fiber supplements, it helps with the digestive track. :agreed:

Here's an allergy update... Yesterday morning I woke up and my eyes were very swollen. This has never happened to me before but I'm at an age where my body's doing some changes, (never thought I'd grow hair there haha jk) I've never had seasonal allergies on top of my food allergies but chances are that's exactly what this reaction is. It looks like someone punched me square in the eye. Luckily I took a Zytec and the swelling went down some.

All I can say is that this healthcare reform really needs to go into effect like yesterday lol. I could be dead by 2014! LOL