How should you learn to play?

Ravvij

Ravvij Creation
Reaction score
This is an interesting question I got asked by my friend's kid brother.
While I told him how I learned to play I had to admit I don't know how to answer him correctly. So...

How should you learn to play? What should you learn first and what should you be able to do in a period of time?

These are questions I wished I could answer him, but I'm not a teacher. I think with the help of people on this forum I might be able to answer him or any else that asks.

(This should be stickeid to the top of this section once it's refined.)

THINGS TO START WITH...
Learn the first, most basic, chords. A, B, C, D, E, F, G
Learn to switch between them quickly and Rhythmically. Such as G, D, C, D. Or some repeating mix of a few chords.
Learn one song that will be easy for you to play and remember because you like it.

Update:
I just realized the most important thing to watch out for as a beginning player. TRICKS!
Be careful to not fall into the trap of learning Tricks instead of Techniques.
A good trick is learning how to use a Technique effectively, but, do not make the mistake of thinking that (for example) practicing Alternate Picking is the same as practicing Downward and Upward picking. Practice your Downward strumming and your Upward strumming separately! Don't think that alternate picking will kill two birds with one stone. You should practice going up and down and over the strings of your instrument using Down-picking, then Up-picking, and then Alternate picking. This will make your strumming and picking hand much stronger and much more accurate.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The first thing you have to do is define your goals as a player. Do you want to be a virtuoso guitar god? A light speed shredder? Do you want to demolish buildings with your riffing? Just strum some folks on the beach?

That goes hand in hand with what you want to do. Do you want to play in a band? Pick up some open mic gigs? Just rock out in a mirror at home?

Ravvij

Ravvij Creation
Reaction score
The first thing you have to do is define your goals as a player. Do you want to be a virtuoso guitar god? A light speed shredder? Do you want to demolish buildings with your riffing? Just strum some folks on the beach?

That goes hand in hand with what you want to do. Do you want to play in a band? Pick up some open mic gigs? Just rock out in a mirror at home?

Although I agree with MaxOfMetal, I have to say that it's not always necessary to choose your goals right away. If you like learning to play guitar or just like playing... do it. You'll discover what you want to be as a musician when the inspiration hits you. Then again, you might already know what you want to be.

I can tell you this, I started out learning guitar because I wanted to play guitar JUST for the sake of playing guitar because it was cool! :)
Then I got addicted to people's praise when they listened to me play their favorite song or one they knew. So, I learned more and became better.
Now, I have resolved to be the best I can possibly be by becoming a virtuoso. I want to be among the best players in the world and as a goal to reach that place, I aspire to be better than the most renowned guitarists ever. That might sound arrogant at first, but think about it, what would I have to do to reach that point? Nothing is holding me back so I'm going for it.

Just remember that your interests and commitments might change someday and as you become better you may want to be better than what you wanted to be when you started out.
Instead of setting a possible goal, set an impossible one. Everything else between now and that impossible point you're aiming for will seem so much easier.