How to connect MXR Noise Clamp FX loop

• Thread starter ProphetOfHatred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BaptizedBurning

Reaction score
Do you mean running the Noise Clamp in your amp's FX loop? Or are you asking about the loop that's in the pedal?

BaptizedBurning

Reaction score
I think it works pretty good in front of the amp with my 'front of the amp' pedals running through its loop. It helps greatly with cutting out the overdrive pedal noise.

vick1000

Reaction score
In my experience, they work better out front, or to isolate noisey pedals, as they are more of a gate than a supressor. The Smart Gate works better in the loop for supression, the Boss NS-2 is good in a loop as well. I never liked the Decimators.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
^^^

Might be getting noise from your preamp? Try a gate in the loop as well as out front.

ProphetOfHatred

Reaction score
^^^

Might be getting noise from your preamp? Try a gate in the loop as well as out front.

That's what I'm trying but I don't know how to connect the Noise Clamp in the loop, when I did, the overall sound of my amp decreased by like 80%. Maybe it's ground loop hum.

nlaplante

Reaction score
You gotta watch your channel volumes when using a gate in the loop. Too much gating and too little channel output will trigger the gate and cut your signal. That's my problem with gates in the loop. Gotta adjust them whenever I change the channel volume.

Desolate1

Reaction score
Try putting the Decimator in the loop and see if you still have the problem. What amp are you using? Does it have send or return levels for the loop? It could be that your amp does not play well with pedals. I know parallel loops do not work with noise gates.

ProphetOfHatred

Reaction score
Try putting the Decimator in the loop and see if you still have the problem. What amp are you using? Does it have send or return levels for the loop? It could be that your amp does not play well with pedals. I know parallel loops do not work with noise gates.

Yeah send and return.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.jimdunlop.com/files/manuals/M195_man_WebSite.pdf

When you open the back there is a switch to bypass the loop. Just make sure its in the right position.

That switch only makes it so the loop is bypassed when the pedal is off. Basically it lets you gate several pedals in front of the amp and then bypass them all when you turn the gate off. Useful if your amp is clean and your clean tone doesn't needed gated; you can disengage your distortion pedal, wah and flanger or whatever with a single stomp.

Dannyz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bump.

Anyone tried the Noise Clamp loop plugged into a high gain amp's effect loop? Like if the preamp of the amp was a giant Distortion pedal?

I already have a Noise Clamp in my board and i'm gettin an Orange Jim Root 15w amp (which has an effects loop).

I would like to know if i can tame the brackground noise from the amp with the Clamp's loop attached to the amp's effect loop. I know that the Smart Gate is Made for that task

PS: i usually set the Clamp's threshold at 0 to cut noises when i'm not playing.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
The noise clamp, I didn't like it because it is too slow. It clips the attack of your notes after it has been muting.

A much better way is to get a double ended suppressor like a ns2 or behringer nr300 which is a clone.

Run it in an X pattern with four cables. Or if the noise isn't too much just run it in the loop.

The way it works is it senses the guitar input, but applies noise reduction in the loop, make it silent.