How to Djent?

• Thread starter scottro202
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
so, after being on this forum for a few months, I have come to know and love the word "djent". I know what djent is, but I want to know HOW to djent (like gear, tunings, playing style, etc etc).

can anyone help me djent? :hbang:

Scottro

EDIT: and sorry if this is the wrong forum, or if this has been said before.

splinter8451

Reaction score
Palm mute a double octave power chord. It has to sound like "DJENT" not your usual "Dje" or "djen" if ya know what I mean.

:agreed:

Nylis

lute city
Reaction score
so, after being on this forum for a few months, I have come to know and love the word "djent". I know what djent is, but I want to know HOW to djent (like gear, tunings, playing style, etc etc).

can anyone help me djent? :hbang:

Scottro

EDIT: and sorry if this is the wrong forum, or if this has been said before.

Eq hi-mids in at about 1.5khz and suck out the low mids (150-250 depending), Presence and treble knobs up and don't use too much gain, Saturation is the exact the opposite of what you want. Go easy on the mids but don't scoop them, using too much mids will provide an effect akin to playing through a telephone. These will provide a good starting point but you need to play around with your pick attack and writing style because thats what 'djent' is in reality. Pick attack is actually alot more important than people think, mess around with it. Tuning is pretty much personal preference but I would go as low as possible while still using thin strings, the longer scale length the better for the low end. You don't have to go meshuggah low but doing so adds a massive agressive low end that I love, especially when it fights the wonky EQ. As for amps Engl is a pretty dry and tight amp and is synonymous with 'djent'. For digital processing axe-fx seems to be the best nowadays but if you can pick up a pod or if you have one they get extremely usable tones. Playing 'djent' is cool but you really should make it yours and do different stuff than the played out cliche music thats coming out. just my twooo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score
Some people call the music I write "Djent". I'm still not entirely clear on what the hell that means... Just tune low and slam the shit out of every note. lol.

The poster above pretty much nailed all the aspects of what you are trying to do, IMO.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Innit man. Been well sensationalised, and thrown around and now seems to mean something completely different to what it did about 6 months ago :scratch:

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
I am indifferent towards the word, I am in truth jelous of those who can write in that style, curse all of you who can!

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
Watch Petrucci and learn! :lol:

2:14

Eq hi-mids in at about 1.5khz and suck out the low mids (150-250 depending), Presence and treble knobs up and don't use too much gain, Saturation is the exact the opposite of what you want. Go easy on the mids but don't scoop them, using too much mids will provide an effect akin to playing through a telephone. These will provide a good starting point but you need to play around with your pick attack and writing style because thats what 'djent' is in reality. Pick attack is actually alot more important than people think, mess around with it. Tuning is pretty much personal preference but I would go as low as possible while still using thin strings, the longer scale length the better for the low end. You don't have to go meshuggah low but doing so adds a massive agressive low end that I love, especially when it fights the wonky EQ. As for amps Engl is a pretty dry and tight amp and is synonymous with 'djent'. For digital processing axe-fx seems to be the best nowadays but if you can pick up a pod or if you have one they get extremely usable tones. Playing 'djent' is cool but you really should make it yours and do different stuff than the played out cliche music thats coming out. just my twooo.

those 2 posts really help me guys, thanks for helping me on my quest to djent-ness!!!

o, and my apologies to anyone who doesn't like that word

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
It's not a style of music. It's a method of playing. It would be like saying "I play Chug music" when referring to Metallica style Thrash Metal.

Stop getting it confused, people... :squint:

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
wtf does it stand for

Nothing. It's just an onomatopoeic term coined by the Meshuggah boys to describe the sound of the palm mutes they got on one of their albums back in the day. Then plucky bastids like Bulb popularised the word over teh Internetz and then popular metal culture somehow picked it up.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
why does everyone hate it so much?

is the word djent really that annoying?

personally it doesn't bother me at all :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.