How to get used to playing different guitars?

• Thread starter Willyjacksonjs22-7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love strats because of the single coil sound for other genres. But everytime I grab my strat, i can’t get used to it. is like my technique doesn’t progress, it moves allot keeps falling, puts my picking hand on a weird angle, my picking hand hits the volume knob, if I play high gain stuff on the bridge pickup ( Humbucker) it’s noisy because my pinky touches the pickguard.
I swear is the guitar I practice the most. But when I grab my schecter ( has a tune o matic bridge) my technique is better! I don’t touch that guitar everyday lol. It’s like an automatic thing or something? The string gauge?
I’m still a beginner/intermediate. So did I made the mistake of buying different guitars? I seen pro artist shredding on different guitars like nothing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don't sweat it. I have en EC1000 with a tune o matic and a superstrat with a floyd and a few others. It's odd at first but it will get better with time. Some guitars will feel better while playing though. It is personal preference at the end.

Demiurge

Reaction score
What kind of guitar did you learn on? Some guitars just handle differently and sometimes, with the playing-style one has developed that means that you'll pick up one that doesn't take your style well.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
As @Demiurge said, sometimes your technique and muscle memory just won't jive with certain instruments. Personally I'm not a fan of strat styles either, I like more room between the strings and the body. PRS flat tops I even find hard to play, and while I'm sure I could eventually train myself to adjust, I see little reason to when I can (and did) sell the guitar and buy something else that works for me. LPs and Schecters with TOM bridges have been the best players for me over the years.

Could be a simple technique thing, could be that you just don't like strats. Sounds like you like the pickups, which is good news because you can find lots of different styles of guitar with single coils in them.

Try adjusting your technique first, but don't beat your head against the wall. If it isn't working sell it. Move on and don't look back.

Reaction score
What kind of guitar did you learn on? Some guitars just handle differently and sometimes, with the playing-style one has developed that means that you'll pick up one that doesn't take your style well.
I first started with an LP that needs lots of repair and then an Ibanez rg that I sold. Now I have the strat and schecter.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i have a pretty good sized range of guitars. I just play them all. Like ...all the time. I'll go through a round of just grabbing each one and playing it for a few minutes, before settling on one to play for a while. Eventually you just get used to it. Having each guitar setup properly helps a ton. If you go from one that has good action vs one that is way off that sucks and it's hard. If each one is setup nicely though, the differences are negligible even when going form 6 to 7's

Reaction score
As @Demiurge said, sometimes your technique and muscle memory just won't jive with certain instruments. Personally I'm not a fan of strat styles either, I like more room between the strings and the body. PRS flat tops I even find hard to play, and while I'm sure I could eventually train myself to adjust, I see little reason to when I can (and did) sell the guitar and buy something else that works for me. LPs and Schecters with TOM bridges have been the best players for me over the years.

Could be a simple technique thing, could be that you just don't like strats. Sounds like you like the pickups, which is good news because you can find lots of different styles of guitar with single coils in them.

Try adjusting your technique first, but don't beat your head against the wall. If it isn't working sell it. Move on and don't look back.
Yeah Im just realizing that. I will like to grab any type of guitar and you know just feel comfortable. But I guess I’ll just stick with tune o matic bridges, flat radius, no arm contour and see what else I find that I don’t like. And also practice practice.

Reaction score
i have a pretty good sized range of guitars. I just play them all. Like ...all the time. I'll go through a round of just grabbing each one and playing it for a few minutes, before settling on one to play for a while. Eventually you just get used to it. Having each guitar setup properly helps a ton. If you go from one that has good action vs one that is way off that sucks and it's hard. If each one is setup nicely though, the differences are negligible even when going form 6 to 7's
Man you’re lucky. Maybe I just need to stick with one and practice more because how I said I’m still considered a beginner/intermediate player.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ha well I'm also old. I'll hit 40 next year so I've had a lot of years to build up a small collection. (I've never sold a guitar. Only bought)

But yeah just keep practicing. One day it'll just click. But ...if you pick up a guitar with a bad setup, it'll feel like crap no matter what.

Dushan S

Reaction score
It isn't unusual to have a bit of a problem when shifting from neck to neck. After years and years of playing it is still kind of hard for me to immediately move from Ibanez style flat wide neck to rounder and more narrow neck. It doesn't take a lot of time these days but it still takes 10 to 15 minutes.
If you are still working a lot on your technique, and it is a problem for you, it could be good idea to just use one kind of guitar. The thing is, it may not be difference between guitars, but just one thing, different bridge, or just the size of frets, if your Strat has more vintage style or medium frets and Schecter has jumbo frets. You could try another strat that has different frets if you can find it in a store or a friend has it. Try out different guitars whenever there is a possibility, in time you will find out if the problem is just one thing, like fret size or shape of the neck, or it is a number of things and then it is just a matter of preference. For instance, I can record and play Les Paul style guitars, or vintage style Strats, but I will always feel more comfortable with Superstrat guitars with jumbo frets, that's just the way it is. It may be that you just like Strat because you think it is cool guitar, and you like how it sounds, but it just isn't working for you playing wise, it happens. I got EVH Music Man once, REALLY liked the sound of the guitar, spent weeks trying to get used to the narrow neck and finally capitulated and sold it.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
I remember when I first got my strat. For me personally, it was as if I almost had to relearn playing, which is/was weird, but it was the fundamental piece that took my playing to another level. Once I meshed with it, and learned how it responds, it boosted my creativity and songwriting, as well as my technique.

idk if this helps at all, but I say work to “tame the beast” so to speak. I think you’ll be better for it.

Reaction score
It isn't unusual to have a bit of a problem when shifting from neck to neck. After years and years of playing it is still kind of hard for me to immediately move from Ibanez style flat wide neck to rounder and more narrow neck. It doesn't take a lot of time these days but it still takes 10 to 15 minutes.
If you are still working a lot on your technique, and it is a problem for you, it could be good idea to just use one kind of guitar. The thing is, it may not be difference between guitars, but just one thing, different bridge, or just the size of frets, if your Strat has more vintage style or medium frets and Schecter has jumbo frets. You could try another strat that has different frets if you can find it in a store or a friend has it. Try out different guitars whenever there is a possibility, in time you will find out if the problem is just one thing, like fret size or shape of the neck, or it is a number of things and then it is just a matter of preference. For instance, I can record and play Les Paul style guitars, or vintage style Strats, but I will always feel more comfortable with Superstrat guitars with jumbo frets, that's just the way it is. It may be that you just like Strat because you think it is cool guitar, and you like how it sounds, but it just isn't working for you playing wise, it happens. I got EVH Music Man once, REALLY liked the sound of the guitar, spent weeks trying to get used to the narrow neck and finally capitulated and sold it.
I think for me is the body more than the neck but i get what you are saying maybe it could also be the neck didnt pay a attention to my left hand.

trem licking

Reaction score
The cool thing about having at least 1 guitar that's harder to play makes your return to your most comfortable that much more enjoyable. This is especially true going from an ERG down to a lesser number of strings and more comfortable neck. I get used to all my guitars but when i return to my number 1, it feels like i was benching 300 and dropped down to 100 haha

Demiurge

Reaction score
The cool thing about having at least 1 guitar that's harder to play makes your return to your most comfortable that much more enjoyable.

I've been using a hollowbody as my main for the past several months and I can attest to this. It's not unpleasant to play, but you've gotta earn them notes, especially up the neck.

bjgrifter

Djentleman, Esq.
Reaction score
I enjoy my collection, but I've also been taking a look/feel at the action--and I need to tweak my Squire HSS. I guess the overall would be make sure you've set your guitars up well along with playing them to make sure they stay that way if you need to get a feel on it.

Reaction score
Its the fretboard radius. I tried an esp ltd strat copy with a flat radius and it felt like I been playing for years. But if it’s the radius and also the neck shape ( thin-u) how does it affect my right hand if the Ltds body is the same as my strat? Weird no?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
As someone who plays standing, the biggest difference to me is guitars with strap button on or near the neck heel vs guitars with the button on the horn.

I play an SG and an Explorer, both with the button right on the neck heel. So when I recently picked up an Ibanez S, I feel the fretboard is like too far to the right. I'm sure people have the opposite experience if they are used to a strat and then pick up an SG. It's weird, I assumed that an Ibanez with an AANJ would have superior upper fret access, but the SG has it by a mile. I feel like I can barely play above the 15th fret on the Ibanez. But I know other people shred on these things no problem. I don't get it.

Reaction score
As someone who plays standing, the biggest difference to me is guitars with strap button on or near the neck heel vs guitars with the button on the horn.

I play an SG and an Explorer, both with the button right on the neck heel. So when I recently picked up an Ibanez S, I feel the fretboard is like too far to the right. I'm sure people have the opposite experience if they are used to a strat and then pick up an SG. It's weird, I assumed that an Ibanez with an AANJ would have superior upper fret access, but the SG has it by a mile. I feel like I can barely play above the 15th fret on the Ibanez. But I know other people shred on these things no problem. I don't get it.
I remember trying out an SG at GC yes, easy to access the upper frets but right hand felt weird.