How to monitor fx while recording DI?

• Thread starter GalacticDeath
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
I'm new to using amp sims and recording DI's. I hear a lot of you guys recording with the amp sims enabled and monitoring on, but I'm getting a ton of latency.

I'm using a Scarlett audio interface and even with the ASIO buffer size set to 1.0 ms I'm getting about a half second delay.

Could this be because of my settings within my DAW are not optimal? I'm using Reaper btw.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RHEX-7

Reaction score
there will always be a delay doesnt matter which daw you use or what interface. it has to send the signal to the daw, and play that signal after all of the effects you put on it.

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
I understand there will always be some latency. But the latency I'm experiencing in Reaper right now is pretty extreme.

I've tried using some amp Sims in standalone mode with the same settings on my audio interface and it worked beautifully, no noticeable latency. So it's only when I use it within Reaper that this happens. It must be the settings something I must be missing

TylerE

Reaction score
The problem is likely the playback device. You need your sound OUTPUT to be low latency ASIO as well. Look into ASIO4ALL. I get totally acceptable (probably a few ms total?) latency with a Rocksmith cable going in, and integrated sound SPDIF out to my external DAC/AMP out, both running ASIO4ALL drivers. Works great playing with Amplitube, and recording in Sonar.

Descent

Reaction score
That's really bad considering that your interface should be one of the better ones.

Maybe it is time to upgrade RAM on your system, look up settings within Reaper. I'm surprised you can pull out 1ms delay and you actually notice it.

Maybe try different DAW? Studio One Artist is free now I think...

When I get to having that problem I just go ahead and go old school. DI box, splitting the signal, the direct to record on my audio interface and the other going into one of my multifx/amp line outs/etc. (effected signal) then into my mixer. The return of my interface also goes in the mixer. I mute or disable monitoring on the DAW so once I achieve a good DI level I just listen to my multifx through my mixer and the playback off my DAW.

I just happened to have all this gear from my band practice days but a cheap multifx and a small mixer shouldn't set you up too badly. You can use say Zoom 505 and one of the cheapie Behringer mixers, both together used probably about $60.