How weight lifting relates to guitars

• Thread starter Charles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
Just trying to throw some food for thought out, gentleman.

I read an interview with George Lynch where he claims that weight lifting ruined the muscles in his hand and killed his dexterity. Now, while he was referring to the period in the 80s where he looked like Rambo, I wonder if there's any truth to this. It would seem that when muscles enlargen, they become less flexible (George Lynch described a cramping-like feeling when he tried to play fast) and it would seem harder to move your fingers at a high speed.

Currently, I'm on the second week of a work out plan constructed for me. There seems to be no difference in my playing, but then again I'm sure Vern Troyer could do the lifting that's part of my program.

Yes, yes, "look at Petrucci" and all that, but there are exceptions for every rule, and I wonder, will lifting REALLY hurt your guitar playing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
No. Not if you stretch daily. Don't worry about all that hype. I used to be crazy rambo buff too and it never affected manual dexterity.

I can see some people suffering setbacks w/out stretching though.

And as far as large muscles = less flexible, again, that's not really true. Some people who never stretch perhaps will become less flexible, especially if they are putting on fat w/ their muscle. I wasn't able to touch my toes until I was repping w/ 700lbs leg press and squatting 350lbs (believe me I'm not even attempting to brag, neither were really that impressive for my size). I started at squating 45lbs and leg pressing 90lbs.

Ive had two competive body builder friends both capable of turning into a pretzel and both who arnold sized. I'm pretty sure the rest at the competions can do the same thing.

Reaction score
Definately not true,
Having large muscles doesnt ruin flexibility,
The only advice I have to give is to stretch, constantly.
Its always going to slowly increase or at least maintain the flexibility you do have.

Ive had two competive body builder friends both capable of turning into a pretzel and both who arnold sized.

There you go, I wouldnt worry too much
Just make sure you have a light stretch after weights. Maybe even again later on.

xiphoscesar

Reaction score
ive actually heard that when you weight lift, it makes your playing more relaxed

Arminius

Reaction score
ive actually heard that when you weight lift, it makes your playing more relaxed

It's definitely helped me. I think I remember hearing somewhere that a lot of the motion for playing guitar comes from the forearms. Plus it makes setting up for shows easier ;)

xiphoscesar

Reaction score
It's definitely helped me. I think I remember hearing somewhere that a lot of the motion for playing guitar comes from the forearms. Plus it makes setting up for shows easier ;)
yea same here

:flex:

Arminius

Reaction score
Unfortunately even that won't help me with my show Saturday. We have 25 minutes to do a 18 minute set, which leaves about three and half minutes to set up everything. Luckily we don't have to set drums up or it would be impossible. And we're using pods, so that helps a little:lol:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone not seen John Petrucci? That guy is pretty big and his dexterity is probably better due to a his forearm muscles being larger and thus having more control.

Hell even now Lynch is big but I think honestly don't think he "lost" his dexterity because of the weights.

Nick1

Reaction score
Back about 6 or 7 years ago I worked out 6 days a week. Lots of lifting and cardio. My life at the time was just playing guitar and working out thats it. After a few months of that I noticed a fatigue in my left arm only when playing. It began to get worse. I was feeling it all the time not just when I played guitar. Eventually I lost the feeling in the half of my left hand ring finger through my pinky and palm. Like cut me with a knife and Im not gonna feel it. Also it was to the point where barre chords were not an option. I saw a few doctors and physical therapists about it and they said it was the classic signs of a pinched ulnar nerve. (Fancy name for the funny bone). So I had it moved surgically. All of the doctors did say that having big biceps did NOT help my playing in anyway. It made it harder for the blood flow/nerves and tendons to travel thru my arm.
Now I just do light weights and lots and lots of stretching.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I don't think it makes a negative difference at all tbh if anything it's improved my playing stamina as I no longer get that burning forearm feeling that I used to get after 40 mins of playing, if your not already doing them I'd recommend you throw some hammer curls into your workout as they work the bicep very well but also the forearm too.

As for the advice of doctors most of them are ill informed anyway plus like most average joes they make that assumption that weights is all about steroids and an obsession with being super huge which is bullshit plus if they are so well informed about health how come so many of them are out of shape?

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I personally never had a problem myself. Playing guitar for 16 years and did competitive lifting/bodybuilding for the last 14.

xiphoscesar

Reaction score
ive never had a problem with playing guitar and working , unless i just did a bicep workout and play guitar right after, cause my bicep cramps up, but ive always stretched and warmed up

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
sounds like crap if you ask me. if you´re stronger, you have more stopping power. this means that after picking the string, you can stop the pick faster and turn the direction around to come back, and so tremolo picking and fast and precise stuff in general improves alot.

when you have more muscle, you also get more stability in your hands.

i think it depends on what you´re trying to achieve when you train though. if you´re after that "big-ass muscles" look, then that doesn´t equate to more strength. that´s just your muscles being large. if you´re after strength, however, your muscles won´t be as defined and fashionable-looking, but you´ll be strong as a fucking bear :D

i´m planning on getting a Powerball to exercise my wrists and arms, so i can have more to go on when playing. also, those things are fun.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
sounds like crap if you ask me. if you´re stronger, you have more stopping power. this means that after picking the string, you can stop the pick faster and turn the direction around to come back, and so tremolo picking and fast and precise stuff in general improves alot.

when you have more muscle, you also get more stability in your hands.

i think it depends on what you´re trying to achieve when you train though. if you´re after that "big-ass muscles" look, then that doesn´t equate to more strength. that´s just your muscles being large. if you´re after strength, however, your muscles won´t be as defined and fashionable-looking, but you´ll be strong as a fucking bear :D

i´m planning on getting a Powerball to exercise my wrists and arms, so i can have more to go on when playing. also, those things are fun.
Engl? Are you going to bench the head? :nuts:

TheAmazingBlob

Reaction score
Chris Broderick anyone?

5.jpg

I've only been lifting seriously for about 3 months now, and if anything it's helped my playing.