Http://home.planet.nl/~boons105/

TWF

Reaction score
(Sry, if this already is on sevenstring.org anywhere.)

As I have been playing and professionally learning classical acoustic guitar for some years now for me an eight string electric guitar would be interesting because I could transfer and expand my skills and knowledge from this field (counterpoint playing, classical guitar technique) to the new instrument - next to the facts that I could use it for "normal" but extended electric guitar playing.

On Monday I found a beautiful and impressive webpage that - for me - offers a good introduction in playing eight string guitar like Charlie Hunter:
http://home.planet.nl/~boons105/ - Eight String Common Pool

Here you can download many files about single method trainings and a fantastic PDF file named "Eight String Lessons":
http://home.planet.nl/~boons105/EightStringLessons.pdf that includes many explanations with note and tab examples.

From my point of view you didn't need to play a Novax Charlie Hunter (jazz) guitar but can transfer his style of playing to your "standard" Ibanez RG2228 (overlooking the scale length and the fact that you don't have seperate pickups for the bass strings). You only have to tune down your deep E, B and F# string two semi-tones so that you can use the Charlie Hunter tuning EADADgbe (the three deepest strings tuned like a four string bass; standard eight string tuning would be F#BEADgbe).

Then the step from six string classical guitar playing isn't that great to the first steps of learning to play like Charlie Hunter.
The author of the above-mentioned page writes to this theme:
The second approach is one easy way into playing eightstring guitar. You can see it as a 6 string, with the A and D strings doubled. Chord voicings on the 6 string can then easily be transferred to this instrument (although not all of them are as easily playable…). Methods for chord melody playing that are available from many sources can easily be applied to the instrument. The first approach calls for a different line of practicing, and this is what I focus on in these pages.

When you see the eight string guitar tuned EADADghe as a six string guitar with doubled AD-strings you could easily new-interpret some of your old pieces from your Classical guitar repertoire by playing the accompaniment bass notes on the one ocatve lower EAD strings.
From my point of view the tuning of the "guitar strings" (ADghe) is very great because you can start with an A like on a piano [There's a ten string guitar in my head tuned A1-D2-G2-B2-E3-A3-D4-G4-B4-E5 (last 7 strings tuned like a seven string guitar :D, maybe someday) ].

Have fun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Not bad info .........but.........I don't like any non standart tuning and all that lessons in non standatr ...sorry I am pass

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
It's always good to have some more info. Great pdf lessons, but like mentioned above not for everyone - different tunings etc. But good for me. :metal:

Eddie Loves You

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you: playing classical for a while, trying to transfer those skills over. I've got a Wes Lambe built Charlie Hunter-style 8 string on the way, and until then I've been playing on a 7 string classical I have tuned ADadgbe (no low E)