Humbucker repair?

• Thread starter venndi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

venndi

Reaction score
HI

I have a vintage SD Invader humbucker (BJ), wound by Maricela Juarez. I measured with ohmmeter, and it gives me 8.56 k ohm, when I touched the black wire and the red-white cable, when I touched the black and the green-bare cable, then is no signal.
I think one coil is not working...can I repair this somehow, or some expert?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hywel

Reaction score
On Duncans the south coil (normally the one with screws in single screw humbuckers) is the red and green wires and the north coil is black and white so it sounds like you've got a problem with the north coil.

I'd very carefully take the outside tape off and check resistance at the lead wires coming from the coils directly rather than at the other end just in case the problem is in the 4 conductor cable. If you don't get a reading at the lead wires and you can see them still connected to the actual coil by the tiny 44awg winding wire then the coil is most likely dead and will need a re-wind.

Reaction score
HI

I have a vintage SD Invader humbucker (BJ), wound by Maricela Juarez. I measured with ohmmeter, and it gives me 8.56 k ohm, when I touched the black wire and the red-white cable, when I touched the black and the green-bare cable, then is no signal.
I think one coil is not working...can I repair this somehow, or some expert?

For continuity, one touches the BLACK and WHITE for the north coil, then the RED and GREEN for the south coil. BARE wire DOES NOT links to anything besides the pickup's metal base plate, so no continuity to any of the other wires.

To see if there is a problem with the south coil, first touch RED and GREEN, because you could have a problem with the WHITE-RED joint.

Black and Green will only deliver values IF WHITE and RED are linked.