Humidifying

• Thread starter Seabeast2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
So does everyone keep their acoustics moist? What do you prefer to use as an in-case option?
Are some acoustics less needy of humidifying than others?

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used the D'addario stuff that keeps a constant % and you have to buy new packs to replace the old but it got a bit expensive so now just a sponge thing that gets more water when it's dry, whatever. It's been fine so far.

Solid wood is more prone to cracking than laminates I guess, and certain species. Ebony fretboards tend to crack. Generally if it's a nice acoustic I'd be careful.

I tend to be extra careful in winter when the heating kicks in. But it depends on where you live, some places are drier than others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
One thing that happened with a D'Addario humidifier that I had, was that the sponge/ media began to degrade within maybe a year. There were so many little bits of it coming out when I'd refill it, that I eventually just threw it away. In defense of the D'Addario humidifier, I don't think that I ever used distilled water... just tap water, so that might have led to the issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
So does everyone keep their acoustics moist? What do you prefer to use as an in-case option?
Are some acoustics less needy of humidifying than others?

Unless you live in an extreeeeemely dry environment, that's unnecessary.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Unless you live in an extreeeeemely dry environment, that's unnecessary.

I don't think this is true. But maybe your definition of extremely dry is different to mine. Nice acoustic guitars are built of thin pieces of solid wood in order to sound good. The downside is they crack if they get dry, and they will if the humidity isn't high enough.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And I think apart from cracks you can also have problems with bracing coming loose etc.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
I don't think this is true. But maybe your definition of extremely dry is different to mine. Nice acoustic guitars are built of thin pieces of solid wood in order to sound good. The downside is they crack if they get dry, and they will if the humidity isn't high enough.

Oh, so you're saying they're different from electric guitars? That's news to me. Go get a humidifier.

But seriously, all the cracking issues I know of are with rather old acoustics and even there it's very rare compared to the total number of old instruments in existence. There are thousands of classical guitars and violins built even before 1900 that have been stored more or less carelessly for decades without any issues. Don't worry too much about what D'Addario claims in order to sell their product.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
40-60 is a decent relative humidity for guitars iirc (@MaxOfMetal i could be off). You do not want to keep guitars moist lol.

My basement sits around 70-75 in the summer without the dehumidifier and my boards still get dry.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh, so you're saying they're different from electric guitars? That's news to me. Go get a humidifier.

But seriously, all the cracking issues I know of are with rather old acoustics and even there it's very rare compared to the total number of old instruments in existence. There are thousands of classical guitars and violins built even before 1900 that have been stored more or less carelessly for decades without any issues. Don't worry too much about what D'Addario claims in order to sell their product.

Uh yeah they're different to electrics? Electrics are solid. But electrics often get fretboard cracks, especially ebony.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I did not take precautions when I moved to MTL to keep my apartment humid. I didn't realize just how dry it got out here in the fall/winter/spring and I had a couple of my acoustics develop issues.

I run a humidifier almost all year round now except in the super humid summer months. Plus it's good for the skin lol:rofl:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I did not take precautions when I moved to MTL to keep my apartment humid. I didn't realize just how dry it got out here in the fall/winter/spring and I had a couple of my acoustics develop issues.

I run a humidifier almost all year round now except in the super humid summer months. Plus it's good for the skin lol:rofl:
Dare I ask how bad your hydro bill spiked?

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dare I ask how bad your hydro bill spiked?
oh it was negligible.

It's just one of these little dudes

The downside of the ultrasonic ones though is you get white stuff everywhere even with those filters and those little drop in tablet/ball things. like this

Amazon product ASIN B09QYS5LFF
the balls do help though.

My hydro bill's gone up more from me working from home and having all my lights and stuff running than what that humidifier does.

ediit: biggest pain is cleaning. you're suppoooosed to clean humidifiers fairly often.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have modern central heating and cooling, and don't live in an outlier as far as dry/wet or hot/cold, most acoustics will naturally acclimate to just about whatever after a fairly short time.

Different manufacturers recommend different conditions for their guitars, so if you're curious that's usually a good place to start.

Good storage and maintenance practices will help too.

Some guitars just want to crack, and others might as well be bulletproof. Use your best judgment based on construction, age, and the other bits above.

JSanta

Reaction score
I only play acoustic instruments, and specifically the Selmer style that want to crack because of how thin the tops are. I keep the room humidified in the winter when the forced-air heating is on, and now have to run a dehumidifier to keep the RH within reasonable range. Even with electric instruments, if you don't humidify, you'll get fret sprout or cracked boards. I'm probably being overly cautious, but I don't want to come home to an exploded guitar. Most Selmacs crack over time for whatever reason, but I'm trying to avoid it for now.

I do have the D'addario humidipaks as well, but my luthier buddy said they are mostly useless. Dunno, better safe than sorry.

mikeSF

Reaction score
42% relative humidity is a good target for wood instruments. Where I live it is currently 11-15% RH, so yeah, humidifying is necessary. When we first moved here, the soundboard of the piano cracked all over from drying. it was ugly.
be careful our there!

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I live in a semiarid desert. I have an ancient ibanez classical from the 60s that is definitely dried out and has an angle to the bridge because the body bows out behind it, but overall plays great. I don't humidify it, it hangs on my wall and gets played maybe two dozen times a year.

Two years ago I dropped $800 on a used mid-high-end classical, can't remember the brand, but it was $1400 new so I thought I was getting a deal. When I got it home I realized it had tons of problems from drying out here, my beater Ibanez played better than it. Had a hell of a time reselling it, ended up taking $400 at the pawn shop. Never again.