Hunting thread

• Thread starter hilljack13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
Single shot and double barrel models always kick more, I had a side by side 10 ga. that was brutal, I sold it to an ex Boston Bruin/LA King, and he wanted to sell it back after shooting it.
I would say American break action guns kick more because they generally have poor stock dimensions (too short a length of pull, much drop at comb and heel, no cast off, and no toe, etc.).

Try an English, Scottish, Spanish, or Italian break action for a better experience. They still kick, but you notice it much less when they fit correctly,

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Single shot and double barrel models always kick more, I had a side by side 10 ga. that was brutal, I sold it to an ex Boston Bruin/LA King, and he wanted to sell it back after shooting it.

Sounds nasty. Growing up I used to dove hunt with a guy that had a Belgian Browning over under and that thing was a beauty.

Scroll down a little and the listing reads like a 1999 Ibanez Jem for sale ad.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would say American break action guns kick more because they generally have poor stock dimensions (too short a length of pull, much drop at comb and heel, no cast off, and no toe, etc.).

Try an English, Scottish, Spanish, or Italian break action for a better experience. They still kick, but you notice it much less when they fit correctly,
Some are too light for their power. I had an Italian Franchi semi auto 12 ga. with an engraved stainless steel receiver. That was a pleasure to shoot.

tedtan

Reaction score
Some are too light for their power. I had an Italian Franchi semi auto 12 ga. with an engraved stainless steel receiver. That was a pleasure to shoot.
Yeah, some can be pretty light. But they are either designed for lighter loads (like most of the British guns (and the Spanish copies of British guns)) or are light because they are intended to be carried long distances (think quail or ruffed grouse hunting where the walking greatly outpaces the shooting).

hilljack13

Reaction score
Apparently vegan activists got together and bought all the deer tags for almost every zone in CA.

Fuck.

I might be able to go non-resident in NV though.
That is kinda funny because most hunters understand about how animal populations work. At some point there will be a lot more road kills and insurance claims, or the population will become so high that it will crash killing way more than any hunters would. Not ethical at all to watch a population of deer starve.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
That is kinda funny because most hunters understand about how animal populations work. At some point there will be a lot more road kills and insurance claims, or the population will become so high that it will crash killing way more than any hunters would. Not ethical at all to watch a population of deer starve.
These were my thoughts exactly.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score

Not only that, but the property I hunt on is about 80 acres and has a couple areas that would be good fields to grow some food on.

Kevin Costner summed it up best on Yellowstone

Going with meat is murder...if you had to pick how you died, would you starve to death? Be stuck on death row while they fatten you up? Ground up by a lawnmower or run over with a tractor? Or while you're out trying to figure out where you're going to get dinner at *snap* lights out.

Unless you are completely delusional, or hate animals, hunting is more ethical than being vegan.

hilljack13

Reaction score
Appreciate the replies. Education is the key. Unfortunatly it is hard to get the message out when people don't understand the reason.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Appreciate the replies. Education is the key. Unfortunatly it is hard to get the message out when people don't want to understand the reason.

FIFY

I've had this conversation before with a vegan, and me hunting deer is worse, because it's murder, than the time I ran over a fawn with a tractor and ground it up with a brush hog while we were getting ready to plant a field because....IDFK...reasons or some shit.

I mean...I try not to judge people, because I've lived my life and had my experiences, and you've lived your life and had your experiences, but goddamn, vegans make it hard. Don't want to eat meat because you see how horrible slaughter houses are? Figure out how to fix it, I mean I went from playing smear the queer in school to now, I'm sure you can fix how fucked up the meat industry is.

Me personally, i've ran over this with a brush hog trying to plant vegetables.
2405222-1147559501.jpg

All of the vegan arguments still work for that, only problem is it didn't die so someone could eat meat (there wasn't any usable meat left), it died so I could plant a vegetable.

hilljack13

Reaction score
FIFY

I've had this conversation before with a vegan, and me hunting deer is worse, because it's murder, than the time I ran over a fawn with a tractor and ground it up with a brush hog while we were getting ready to plant a field because....IDFK...reasons or some shit.

I mean...I try not to judge people, because I've lived my life and had my experiences, and you've lived your life and had your experiences, but goddamn, vegans make it hard. Don't want to eat meat because you see how horrible slaughter houses are? Figure out how to fix it, I mean I went from playing smear the queer in school to now, I'm sure you can fix how fucked up the meat industry is.

Me personally, i've ran over this with a brush hog trying to plant vegetables.

All of the vegan arguments still work for that, only problem is it didn't die so someone could eat meat (there wasn't any usable meat left), it died so I could plant a vegetable.
I am sure you had this talk as well. Since hunting is murder and you consider it wrong, what about all the bugs hit while driving or insects in the house. Ever use worms or crickets while fishing. Some of these arguments are over the top, but like you say we each have our own experiences. I think part of the bigger issue goes back to the post of the vegans purposefully buying the tags just to keep hunters out. I don't remember anyone cutting down crops so the vegans can't enjoy their meals. See how ridiculous that sounds? 🤪

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been home in the Canadian Arctic for a month now, my older brother shot an adolescent lone caribou that strayed off from the herd two weeks ago. Decent size, good amount of meat from the animal.

received_1569231713533233.jpeg

Today on November 26th, my brother in law harvested a moose and trust me guys, it was fucking HUGE! I don't have any pictures of him with the moose, but he dropped off a front leg and the leg alone was tall as me! I'm 6 feet tall btw, so you can imagine how MASSIVE the moose was! I helped my Mom cut up the meat from the leg, grinded up part of the leg, then cut the rest for soup and stew.

received_1317339402373551.jpeg

I'm supposed to head out tomorrow with my brother and my nephew to look for musk ox, but that depends on the weather.

hilljack13

Reaction score
So far I have got two does and a coyote. Alabama rut is getting started. I finally found a nice rub and scrape. Will have to be careful because I'll be on the ground.