Hydroxy Cut

• Thread starter Digital Black
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
I don't like fat burners. If you lift as hard as you can and eat right, the fat will come off anyway. I have a blood pressure issue anyway so I stay away. There isn't much research that supports their benefit

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I thought about trying somethign along those lines- I used to cycle 20 miles per day and do sit ups a ton but still had a bit of a gut...

I figured screw it Im antsy enough without worrying about speeding all day long..

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
You do need to do some cario if you want to lose the fat, but honestly if you go to the gym focused and don't shoot the shit with other people there it will help quite a bit as well. Do not rest for more than 30 seconds between sets and no more than 1 minute between exercises. Your heart rate will stay up there just like you were doing cardio. Some people call it circuit training but if you follow all of the advice I have given you, it will be so much better than that. Circuit training is for chicks. It is tough, no doubt but you want to go balls out for as long as you are there. Don't wory if you look at the clock and you are ready to go after 45 minutes. If you have completed you exercises, than you are done. You probably would have done more in those 45 minutes than most people do in 2 workouts. Lots of people go to the gym to socialize. Ignore them completely. The best invention for weight training ever is the MP3 player. People do not bother you when you have headphones on. Also keep a notebook on your progress. Buy some magazines and clip out articles that pertain to what you are trying to accomplish and put them into your notebook. Log everything from water intake to rests between sets. It helps.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
^ + 1 million

My workout lasts about 30 minutes if I don't have to wait to use a piece of equipment. On a chest day, I will literally burn myself into the ground: 3 sets of bench, 3 sets of decline bench, 3 sets of incline bench, 3 sets of flies, 3 sets of tricept push-downs, done. It didn't seem like much on paper, but when I got into the gym and just kept going, I ended thirty minutes later completely whiped out and out of breath. I felt like I go so much more done, compared to when I did twice as many exercises at a leisurely pace, taking two hours to chat with people and rest between exercies.

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
It makes a huge difference. I did the same thing. I have worked out on and off since I was 14. I have a really bad back (95% of one disc removed and 4 additional herniations as well as arthritis and degenerative disc disease) So staying strong is really important to me. I am a really big guy which hinders my situation. I'm 6'5" and weigh 305lbs. I was in a school bus wreck when I was a kid and got it hurt then. I have set backs but what I have learned is to stay away from people who are not serious in the gym. They are energy vampires and only try to bring you down. I love it when some 150 lb fan boy tries to give me advice as I'm working out. I can curl what the fucker weighs but he's telling me...priceless.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem: I'm 5'7" and 160lbs. I constantly get big guys coming up to me and trying to tell me how to do exercises, or tell me I'd lift more if I went "deep". Just because I'm not huge doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing!

Also, going "deep" is a bad idea, because you start putting the weight on your joints. I had a guy once who kept trying to tell me I was only able to leg press as much as I was (around 950lbs) because I wasn't going down until my calves touched my thighs "like you're supposed to". Lucky for me, a personal trainer came over and explained to him how that little trick can blow out both knees, making it difficult to walk, much less lift. Form comes before all else, and I don't care if I look like a whimp, because I'm not there to impress anyone.

Why do people feel the need to give unsolicited advice? I only give advice when I see someone doing something that is obviously endangering them--like throwing up a leg press so hard that the plate leaves the surface of your feet, and then comes crashing back down.

Most of the time, I respond to people in the gym with an emotionless face and a quick nod, because it says, "I'm in the zone and I don't want to be bothered."

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
The reason these guys think you're doing it 'wrong' (there's only really wrong technique, there's no such thing as wrong range of motion imo) is because the more motion there is the more you're using whatever specific muscle(s) it is. You can limit your chances of joint pain/damage by keeping your movement fluid and constant, none of this up-pause-down-pause crap.

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
Well...I agree with you in Theory...Doh! There is most definately a wrong way to do an exercise, and they tend to be dangerous ones. In High School, my football coach (yes I played ball with a bad back...STUPID..young and invincible) who made us touch our ass to our heels on squats. KNEEdless to say we had more than our fair share of ACL's and MCL's. You need to use the full range of NATURAL motion when you lift...nothing beyond that. Lift properly and don't cheat. If you want a good book to research get Arnold's Body Building Encyclopedia. Few people in the field have put as much research into the topic as the Governator has. After all, he knows his shit. Hell, he helped make the sport what it was. It is kinda a freakshow now but still amazing. I am one of the fastest muscle gainers I know. So what works for me may not for everyone.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Papa Shank said:
The reason these guys think you're doing it 'wrong' (there's only really wrong technique, there's no such thing as wrong range of motion imo) is because the more motion there is the more you're using whatever specific muscle(s) it is. You can limit your chances of joint pain/damage by keeping your movement fluid and constant, none of this up-pause-down-pause crap.

I never stop or "lock it out" like people do. To me, locking it out means you're taking the weight off your muscles and putting them on your joints. I try to keep everything one fluid movement.

My general rule of thumb is to never let my joints track more than slightly past 90 degrees. So, I keep the elbows even with the sholders on a military press, don't let the knees track past the tip of the foot on squats and leg presses, don't let the elbows drop below the sholders on bench presses, etc.