Hype about Ola Englund

• Thread starter Dehumanized
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dehumanized

Thumprentice
Reaction score
What's all this hype about Ola? All I know is that he has a kid, a dog, a well payed job and obviously friends that borrow a very small amount of the gear that he displays on YouTube. I don't get what the hype is all about?

If I had no idea who Per Nilsson was, saw his channel, watched his videos and listened to his music, I'd definately understand why Per is a success. However, Ola is very... very... very far from being as technical and uniquely creative as Per. (Don't start the whole technique discussion with me, I know shredding isn't everything.)

I don't like Feared, I've never heard Six Feet Under and wasn't he in Scarpoint or whatever? He's been in like 10 bands that hasn't really contributed with anything special. His riffs are generic to say the least. They sound like the improvisations the german guys at Music-Schmidt on YouTube do when they poorly showcase some new piece of "metal" gear.

Keith Merrow on the other hand, makes great riffs! You can tell by a riff if it's Keith or not. So tell me, why all this attention? I just want to know why :flame:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of his playing as I have to agree with OP, it is very generic middle of the road chuggy stuff, though he is better than me I'll freely admit. He spotted the gap in the market for half-decent product demos on youtube and he has get himself in a decent spot there. Who else really demos metal amps like he does? Guitar World do it to an extent but the guy they use doesn't have the first clue about metal really.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
It's just like everything else, people have different tastes. I love Ola, you don't, it's as simple as that.

Dehumanized

Thumprentice
Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of his playing as I have to agree with OP, it is very generic middle of the road chuggy stuff, though he is better than me I'll freely admit. He spotted the gap in the market for half-decent product demos on youtube and he has get himself in a decent spot there. Who else really demos metal amps like he does? Guitar World do it to an extent but the guy they use doesn't have the first clue about metal really.

Thank you for a very simple, mature and clear explanation! :) instead of saying "This thread :noway:" or "This thread :yesway:". I don't really think he does a good job showcasing amps either, they all sound the same to me and if you want me interested in buying a piece of gear, I need more than "chug chug" like the rest of the music he makes. I don't mean to be harsh.. It's just weird to me.. Stockholm syndrome up in this mother.. all the little boys have a crush on Ola and will defend him til' death!

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
I don't get it, why did you create a thread just to tell us you don't think any of the "hype" surrounding Ola is unwarranted when compared to other guitarists?

Dehumanized

Thumprentice
Reaction score
I don't get it, why did you create a thread just to tell us you don't think any of the "hype" surrounding Ola is unwarranted when compared to other guitarists?

I was merely saying that I would understand why a guitarist like Per would be attractive on YouTube or in the Guitar world. The comparison isn't my point, Ola's fame is what I'm curious about. Everyone else seemed to get what I meant. If you like Ola, explain why? What makes Ola special?

Is there really nobody who can give me pointers on WHY? That's even more weird to me tbh.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Wait... Did he have a hype over him?

To be on topic, he's a solid guitarist that writes some decent death/groove metal, have done some tutorials on studio setup and gear, along with demoing gear for companies. And I would hardly call his riffing generic; maybe not the most groundbreaking material, but far from generic.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I'm also curious as to what he's done with a band that gets critical acclaim, and would love to have a listen to whatever it is that has gained him recognition. I don't get it myself, he seems to be famous mostly as a gear endorser.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
My explanation is that he is accessible (he is active on facebook and youtube), he does pretty good demos, and he's pretty nice.

And it probably matters that he is European as well, as there is a degree of exoticness for americans.

Mr-Jemhead93

I think I'm profound
Reaction score
I totally agree with you on this I don't really see why so many people are in love with him, ya I do like that he has his metal specified gear reviews and all that shenanigans but Ola as a guitar player hasn't (atleast for me) shown me anything with his guitar playing that he is an excellent guitar player. Ya he's a good guitar player but I feel he's just above average at best nothing phenomenal or revolutionary.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
there's no hype really. he admits his short comings as a guitarist. He likes to demo gear and write the kinda music he likes he was just fortunate enough to be a cool enough dude that people took and interest and followed him along the way. I think he quit his job a while ago to focus on music related stuff but i don't know if that's changed recently.

also helps that's he's super nice and personable!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I like Ola Englund, I like Feared, and I like his work in Scarpoint. Fuck me, right?

It's some old fashioned groove and death metal. He may not be the most technical guitarist, but he can write some groovy riffs, and he's a pretty damn good producer to boot.

And as people said, he's awesome as a person, too. He doesn't let his success get to his head.

Dehumanized

Thumprentice
Reaction score
I accept that we all have our differences, I'm not taking a shit on Ola's musicianship or musical abilities. He doesn't suck, he's just not my cup of tea and all I wanted to know was why people like him so much, because I don't get it. I'm not easily impressed. I think RyanSiew is a good guitarist and I don't see why he has so many views either but the difference is that I get it with Ryan, but I don't get it with Ola. He might be a nice person, but that doesn't change the fact that 90% of his viewers never even met him. I'm sorry that some of y'all are butthurt and I appreciate that the ones who like Ola, have given me a straight and mature response.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Because we like his music and demos? What else is there to say? It's not like he's some wizard that mesmerizes people to watch his videos. A lot of us don't care that he isn't revolutionary or isn't technical.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I don't think anyone's really raving about his playing or what an amazing musician he his, he's just popular. Everyone around knows about him because he's Ola Englund, he does tons of decent quality metal gear demos and he fills that void in the YouTube world some of us. Everyone knows about him because he's that guy - but he's also a solid guitar player and has some famous friends which have helped him out.

I feel the saem way about Rob Chappers. Yeah he can shred and he's a good player, but nothing about his playing doesn't anything for me. But, he's gained popularity by doing his thing - just like Ola - and it works for them. The "hype" as you put it isn't exactly the right word as I don't there is hype, just popularity.

I will say though that my views on either of these players has nothing to do with the amount of respect I have for them. I respect them both a lot because they're good at what they do - marketing to musicians.

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
I accept that we all have our differences, I'm not taking a shit on Ola's musicianship or musical abilities. He doesn't suck, he's just not my cup of tea and all I wanted to know was why people like him so much, because I don't get it. I'm not easily impressed. I think RyanSiew is a good guitarist and I don't see why he has so many views either but the difference is that I get it with Ryan, but I don't get it with Ola. He might be a nice person, but that doesn't change the fact that 90% of his viewers never even met him. I'm sorry that some of y'all are butthurt and I appreciate that the ones who like Ola, have given me a straight and mature response.
The problem is that you aren't starting a mature conversation. This thread is a bad thread, and nothing positive can come from it.

Dehumanized

Thumprentice
Reaction score
The problem is that you aren't starting a mature conversation. This thread is a bad thread, and nothing positive can come from it.

It can only be what you make it out to be. I wanted answers and I got them. Besides, you only decide what is positive for yourself, you don't decide on my behalf. What else do you want from me? Do you want me to go down on my knees and say that I'm sorry that I'm not as articulate as you please? That I'm sorry that I might have used words that doesn't suit your personal standards? Say and feel however you like, but I stated that this.. is.. not.. a.. hateful thread.. and the questions aren't for you, they are for me.. I want answers, not you..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts