I always figured he would be a tool, kinda like Yngwei

• Thread starter Fenriswolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Mirror

Reaction score
MAB and Yngwie are basically the same. Only major difference is that MAB knows how the whole 80/90s shred metal has to be taken at least in part as a joke, whereas Yngwie is just dead serious about it.

That's why Yngwie these days sucks whereas MAB is the same wackey dude he was 30 years ago.

In any case, Rob's adventure into weird instruments and their musicians has been phenomenal. They are all worth watching if one is interested in instruments that don't get much attention. Stuff like the Cristal Baschet and Koto are just the best.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
MAB just seems to genuinely love what he does and will share his passion with anyone interested in learning from him.

All of his recent videos just make him seem like a decent wholesome guy doing what he loves doing.

I could understand why some people would find his confidence a little hard to come to terms with, but I think but he's earned the right to be confident in his abilities.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Early internet there was a conspiracy that his videos were sped up. I know now they weren't, but I know a lot of people didn't take him seriously.

I've watched a lot of MAB stuff from interviews, to clinics and everything in between. He seems like a dude that genuinely loves playing guitar and loves teaching/showing people new things. And he has a fuck ton of toys.

He's a little quirky, but he seems like a genuinely nice dude that got a lot of hate for no reason.

The only complaint I have no is his tone has always been complete dog shit to my ears. Say what you will about yngwie, his guitar sounds good.

Zhysick

Reaction score
MAB is a nice guy. Very close to the fans, kind and funny because he knows, at least these days, that part of the show is being ridiculous and don't take the "rockstar" thing too seriously.

Even thou I only like just one of his songs, but he is a great performer live, always a good show!

Matt08642

Reaction score
MAB seems cool as hell and like others have said the dude just likes music/I think has a degree in music conservation or something - Point is he knows what he’s talking about lol.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Few years ago, I was looking at some Dean guitars during NAMM, MAB was next to me and after a few minutes, turned around, saw me looking at guitars and just started talking about how nice they were, which Deans I was interested in and if I was enjoying the convention, really nice dude.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the video, really cool to see that. Errr, have you mis-typed "tool" instead of "fool" in the thread's title?

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
There's a whole lot of adjectives we could use to describe yngwie. Does the website have enough storage for that

Adieu

Reaction score
I've never heard him speak before this but always assumed similarly. He seems like a kindly aging nerd though. I'm surprised to find myself actually watching the whole thing.

Well, a lot of older guitarists are technical music geeks

Aging nerd is exactly what they are

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
I met MAB twice at a local guitar store for Dean sponsored guitar clinics in the mid 2010s. Super entertaining shows and extremely nice dude. He really just loves guitars and playing, and his enthusiasm is VERY contagious

Buffnuggler

Reaction score
Yngwie is definitely a testament to how important the sound of your guitar actually is. Rising Force has aged really well and a big part of that is just that the tone is so good. I think the fact that he didnt do the humbucker thing made him a little more unique and his playing has a lot of balls and emotion despite being a one trick pony. In an era where Yngwie’s technique and style are really dated, the ferocity of his playing still stands up. Its hard to get through a full album but Black Star will always be awesome.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Yngwie is definitely a testament to how important the sound of your guitar actually is. Rising Force has aged really well and a big part of that is just that the tone is so good. I think the fact that he didnt do the humbucker thing made him a little more unique and his playing has a lot of balls and emotion despite being a one trick pony. In an era where Yngwie’s technique and style are really dated, the ferocity of his playing still stands up. Its hard to get through a full album but Black Star will always be awesome.

I agree, but man, I feel like I can still listen to Trilogy all the way through without getting sick of it.

Latest posts