I dont even use all 6 strings of my guitar...

• Thread starter Tobi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tobi

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am really interested in 7 String guitars, however, the more I think about it, the more I notice that I dont even use all six strings of my guitar.
I play heavy metal sort of stuff and have allways been more of a rhythm guy, rather than a solo shred guitarist.
Mainly when I am playing I stay on the low four strings, which I dont like and want to change.
So how can I incorporate all six strings in my (rhythm) playing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
Well, one way is to redefine the genre you play or just change it. You are not limited to one genre/style of playing. Work on playing full chords. Do not limit yourself.

Infamous Impact

Reaction score
It never hurts to add some variety to your playing. When done in my moderation, stuff like sweeps can add to your riffs. A decent example of this is Sleep Terror. Nice heavy playing with a bunch of other thing thrown in.

Tobi

Reaction score
Well I'd rather not change the genre I play, as I do enjoy playing metal. I do like mixing other genres in, however dont think that Im very good at it :D
I like adding heaps of accoustic or clean playing in songs (which I use full chords and all my strings for) and (would) also like to add sweeps (if I was better at it, lol) to my rhythm, so I like that idea.
Anything else you guys can recommend?

Also can anyone give me some tips on, well incorporating, well, more higher notes into my rhythm playing? I generally dont manage to do that without losing the rhythmic base of a song...

Hope that's not too confusing, thanks for all replies.

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
A simple way to advance your playing / use more strings = write 2 guitar harmonies. Using octaves or minor3rd. Record a few riffs and make some harmonies on top.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
IMO, just stick with low tuned 6's. Unless you were gonna go baritone that is. If your not getting wild with leads and solos, then 6strings is more than enough to get your point across. Just remember, for super low tunings, a baritone(maybe 27" or more)6string beats a 25.5" 7string unless your running up and down scales all over the fretboard.

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
If you have more strings you have more notes in one hand position/can start runs lower... You can explore lower tunings in metal.

I had a freind who did not want to switch to sevenstrings because he said he has not mastered the six string yet.... I was seriously like WTF.... When does anyone ever "Master" a six string.... If you like sound of sevens, Might as well start learning on them asap.

turbo

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am really interested in 7 String guitars, however, the more I think about it, the more I notice that I dont even use all six strings of my guitar.
I play heavy metal sort of stuff and have allways been more of a rhythm guy, rather than a solo shred guitarist.
Mainly when I am playing I stay on the low four strings, which I dont like and want to change.
So how can I incorporate all six strings in my (rhythm) playing?

by nature, those same strings will still be lonely on a 7.

as for changing it up, your gunna have to consider other types of music and chord voicing and such.
you can be metal without chugga-chugga-chugga-djent-djent-chugga,chugga-djent-squeal.

sunbasket

Reaction score
My advice is to start using octaves more. Scales are really nothing more than a series of steps to get from one octave to the next. It all starts with being able to play a lick, chord, whatever, in more than 1 position.

To start, take something simple like strumming on an Am chord, then a C Major in the open position-- bring that up to the next octave at the 12th fret.

You don't have to get all fancy and harmonize in thirds and stuff like that to start. Just say, if you play a lick, find the next octave up where it will work.

Also having at least one of the pentatonic box positions (A minor)-- play your exercises and whatnot beyond the 12th fret as well.

Even if it's some kind of chugging/galloping rhythm on your low open string, bring that up past the 12th fret and play the same thing. That should start opening up your playing a bit.

A lot of the other guys have suggested arpeggios, which are awesome because of their nature to incorporate wide intervals. They get you moving up and down the register really quickly. They really fill in "mind map" of the fretboard. That's good because you can get stuck seeing only those box or 3-note-per-string scales...

Tobi

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies, especially sunbasket, that helped, i am going to have to look into that a bit more ;)
I didnt want to start a discussion about if I need a sevenstring or not though, I was kinda looking for tips in improving my playing / making it more versatile and incorporating more higher strings in my metal rhythm, however, now that I think about it, I realize that rhythm in heavy metal doesnt really have many / any higher notes, so I will probably start working on my leads more now.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Well, one way is to redefine the genre you play or just change it. You are not limited to one genre/style of playing. Work on playing full chords. Do not limit yourself.

I can't stress this enough. Never limit yourself, and never be afraid to try and change things, you never know what it could do to influence others. Let's face it: No great guitarist ever knew they would change things, they just experimented, and did.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Definitely try out matching your power rung out chords with a D/m shape so say you would hold a G5 (doubled powerchord) you would do the D/m shape where your finger on the G string would be on the g which is the 0, 12th or 24th fret, depending on the scale you would play the minor d shape or if major just a normal (major d).

And as was said before, try play some octaves on the A or D string with your index on the root, ring finger on the octave 2 strings higher as mute the middle string with some chugs on the open E string, while you play things on the A and higher strings.

Tobi

Reaction score
@Fiction
I didnt quite get the first part of what you were saying, what do you mean by
'Definitely try out matching your power rung out chords with a D/m shape so say you would hold a G5 (doubled powerchord) you would do the D/m shape where your finger on the G string would be on the g which is the 0, 12th or 24th fret'

Sorry, dont really know how to use the quote function XD

PrestigeFan92

Reaction score
Listen to Veil Of Maya. Their guitarist, Mark Okobo is great at putting together full chords which encompass great complex rhythms and interesting melodies at the same time.

Tobi

Reaction score
You can play some mega challanging music like Spawn of Possesion, Origin, or Brain Drill. SWEEPS IN YO RHYTHM!

yeah look mate, maybe I should have said this before. But I am really not that good :D That's why I posted this in the beginners section ;)
Origin are freakin awesome though

Reaction score
yeah look mate, maybe I should have said this before. But I am really not that good :D That's why I posted this in the beginners section ;)
Origin are freakin awesome though

Oh fuck sorry man :lol:

But you know what, try your hand at some Spawn of Possesion slowed down. They actually tabbed out their own stuff and its on Rivers of Gore - Brutal Tablature.

I cant play it either (I WISH!) but its great for grasping at advanced writing styles and their use of counterpoint is pretty badass sometimes. Look into "In my Own Greed". Thats a good one. Honestly though, if you're still starting out dont worry about not using all your strings, you'll start doing it as you learn what notes can be played with what and how to extend certain things.

ShreddingDragon

Silence the discord
Reaction score
Opeth use upper strings and chords along with low string chuggings. Beneath The Mire intro is a good example, try that!