Smart home thread

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I just bought a few new sensors to test out, and if they're good I might buy some more to use all over the house. One is a PIR sensor that detects motion, and the other is a door/window sensor that detects if a door is open or not. So I installed the door sensor on my home office door and made an automation for when it opens - if I'm not at home, it makes the lights blink red until the door is closed again :lol: and if I am home, it just normally turns the light on.

Then I put the PIR sensor in the hallway leading to my office, and just made that send a notification to my computer that someone's coming, so I don't need to shit my pants every time someone suddenly knocks on the door.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm buying a new house with an unfinished basement. I'm in the early stages of trying to plan out how I can fit a home theater, a office/studio (sound proof so I can WFH and play guitar as loud as I want), gym, bar in there. The amount of info on home theater planning alone is crazy. My youtube history is just pages and pages of home theater videos. Exciting but daunting.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I'm buying a new house with an unfinished basement. I'm in the early stages of trying to plan out how I can fit a home theater, a office/studio (sound proof so I can WFH and play guitar as loud as I want), gym, bar in there. The amount of info on home theater planning alone is crazy. My youtube history is just pages and pages of home theater videos. Exciting but daunting.

Sounds kinda like what I planned my basement to be. Instead it became storage and my home office :lol:

Also I can't really sound proof it, because the ceiling's too low. I guess even partial isolation would help though, so I guess I'll do that to my office (which is also my music room) at some point.

jaxadam

Reaction score

There are some insane builds here.

soliloquy

Reaction score
I'm a techno-dino, so am trying to steer clear of any additional technology around the house.

I've had horrible experiences with those digital locks that some Airbnb hosts have added to their doors, where many times the doors would freeze and the guest had to pay to get that repaired.
I've had issues with the door bell randomly calling 911 on delivery people.
I've had issues with digital locks refusing to acknowledge finger prints, and/or passcodes that are being entered.
My LED Cabinet lights randomly sync with my LED lamp and will be controlled by the same power switch, which is not ideal.

its a hassle that I may get into when they make the transition from dumb to smart technology more seamless. Till then, I'm goin g to pretend my 11 lbs cat is a guard dog that will protect my house from things.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I've had horrible experiences with those digital locks that some Airbnb hosts have added to their doors, where many times the doors would freeze and the guest had to pay to get that repaired.
I've had issues with digital locks refusing to acknowledge finger prints, and/or passcodes that are being entered.

Yeah, I'm considering a smart lock for the simple reason that my wife and kids keep misplacing the keys all the time. We're supposed to have 2 spare keys hidden outside, but because they leave their own keys inside and rely on the spare ones all the time and then forget to return them, we just don't have any... I guess this is a good lesson though, at least the kids seem to have learned to carry their keys with them.

The kind of smart lock I'd prefer though would be one that can also be opened with an actual key, just in case the battery runs out or something else.

brector

Reaction score
I'm a techno-dino, so am trying to steer clear of any additional technology around the house.

My LED Cabinet lights randomly sync with my LED lamp and will be controlled by the same power switch, which is not ideal.

its a hassle that I may get into when they make the transition from dumb to smart technology more seamless. Till then, I'm goin g to pretend my 11 lbs cat is a guard dog that will protect my house from things.
We have a Nest smart lock on our cabin, and have had zero issues. We don't rent out or anything, but no issues in the 2+ years we have had it

brector

Reaction score
The kind of smart lock I'd prefer though would be one that can also be opened with an actual key, just in case the battery runs out or something else.
Not sure on other brands, but Nest allows you to place a 9V battery on it's connections, if the internal battery dies. It will also alert you way in advance it needs to be replaced