I found a pick I love (big stubby) but the tip blunts so fast, and I don't even pick hard!

FTB

Reaction score
I had never used "solid" picks until I picked my guitar back up after a decade away, and I bought a Dunlop Big Stubby 2mm just to check it out, and I love it! However I'm already on my third now, as the tiny sharp tip, which is what I love most about it, seems to blunt within one week.

I do like palm mute riffing, but I really do pick on the lighter side, and this is just annoying. Anyone have any recommendation for fat picks with tiny tips that won't get blunt so fast? Many thanks :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
Have you tried the Ernie Ball Prodigy 2.00 mm ? Similar to Big Stubby but lasts a bit longer for me. Like you, I use to prefer the big stubby 2.00 & Dunlop Jazz 3s.

Have shifted to Prodigy 2.00mm since the last few months..

FTB

Reaction score
No but they look pretty good, I'll add them to the list. Thanks!

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Winspear Amber, find a shape your like. They last a LOT longer than the Stubbies. I was using them for awhile, but I'd shred a big stubby in a couple of hours and have a bunch of purple dust all over my guitar.

Reactions: FTB

foreright

Reaction score
Winspear Amber, find a shape your like. They last a LOT longer than the Stubbies. I was using them for awhile, but I'd shred a big stubby in a couple of hours and have a bunch of purple dust all over my guitar.

Are they ever in stock? I’m finding Chickenpicks Badass 3 to be my favourite right now with the Prodigy picks mentioned above as a second fave (I bought the mini but they are slightly too small really...). I really wanted to like the Petrucci flow picks but they are not that sharp and there’s something I can’t put my finger on about them I don’t like that much.

But anyway I can certainly recommend the chickenpicks - I have them in both 2.0 and 3.2mm. Tend towards the thicker most of the time.

foreright

Reaction score
I’ve always wanted to try them but they never seem to have the particular ones I want to try in stock. I guess your mileage may vary depending on how large you like them. I’m very much a jazz iii size pick fan.

olejason

Reaction score
That's just the nature of the beast with stubby's. I've used the small 3mm ones for a few decades, never found anything I like better.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Seriously? How long do you spend playing per 'session'?

I use Ultex Sharp picks which wear the tip out fairly quickly. Now I bought some Tortex III picks which are same shape but different material. It really depends how long I decide to play... and if there has been band rehearsals. And it's by player's judgement when the pick is too worn out ;)

olejason

Reaction score
Dunlop Flow picks. 2, 3 and 4.2mm. Just got the 4.2mm the other day.

The 4.2 Flow is dope. If you ever get the desire to go even bigger check out the Primetone 5mm. I use the large rounded ones for gypsy jazz.