I got a big dilemma, start playing drums or keep with guitar?

• Thread starter Mechanix11
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mechanix11

Reaction score
Hi everyone, well i got a huge dilemma here.
First of all i like both instruments drums and guitar, but i think i like better the drums because i think its more entertained and more easy (for me) to play, also i love playing guitar but i think i can go better to play and its a bit frustrating. (im a bit lazy or i get desperation when i want to learn something, also i never learned a full solo of any song i played).
So i want to know some toughs about this problem i got.
Or continue with the guitar or get on drums.
Another problem is that im on a band with already a drummer and well he is my friend and i dont want to kick him of the band only because i want to get on drums.
So i got this big problem.
:scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MJS

Reaction score
You know it's not illegal to play more than one instrument, right? :scratch:

Mechanix11

Reaction score
lol, yeah but i really want to stuck only in one. but drums as 2nd instrument sounds good to me

Dayn

Reaction score
And that's another thread solved!

I'd go with drums as a side instrument too. Besides, they're easier to program than guitar samples.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
Why stick to one when you could do both?

If Misha can do it, you can too.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
I'll echo: why give either one up? I'd love to have command of both instruments. Besides, in my experience, guitarists and drummers often have conflicting opinions. Be both, and you can bypass all of that bullshit. :D

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
Dave grohl did it. It never hurts to have background in multiple instruments because it makes you more aware of how to play with it. If you play guitar and know how to play drums you will be able to program drums for a demo or you can show your drummer how you imagine a part.

Mechanix11

Reaction score
all your replies are right, i could do both, and when i get some money buy a drum kit, well i think i solved my problem :agreed:

Jazzamatazz

Reaction score
Seriously? Why was this a big dilemna, this is the kinda thing you figure out in a few seconds... I've played drums all my life and jumped at the oppurtunity to play guitar. You don't have to give up one to do the other. You don't even have to relegate one to secondary status. Play what you happen to feel like playing whatever moment in time you decide to play something.

pawiffuwee

Reaction score
I actually had this same dillemma, but reversed, a few months back, I just decided to stick to both. But be warned, drums are definitely going to get expensive fairly quick.

Cthulhu23

Reaction score
As someone who owns a grand piano, drum set, bass rig, and guitar rig, I say fuck it. Play 'em both. But keep in mind, the more time you spend on one, the better at it you will be. I do something I call "making the rounds" almost everyday. I fire up my guitar rig, play piano while the tubes warm up and/or the computer boots, play guitar, play bass, play drums.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Play guitar and play the kick and hit everything else with your headstock

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Start hitting a guitar

Or strum on the snare wires.

To the OP: in my living room I have four guitars (7- and 6-stringed), three basses (fretted and fretless), a ukulele, two violins, an èrhú, a tin whistle, a bodhrán and a cello. Then there's the broken double bass in my mother's garage and the set of flat practice drums I haven't played in years. With the exception of the ukulele and the tin whistle, I've taken lessons on all of them, and I can bash out a tune or two on the piano for good measure. There's no limit.

I'd say that learning other instruments has only enhanced my knowledge and perspective as a musician, and has made my grasp of my primary instrument (the electric bass) far more complete. Every instrument (and indeed every teacher) has its strengths and focuses. Learning the drums teaches one the building blocks of rhythm and limb independence in a very visceral way. Viol-family instruments' fretless fingerboards give one a deep reliance on intonation and ear-training, their Asian stick-fiddle cousins even more so. To be honest I'm not sure exactly what the ukulele has taught me, but I'm sure it's very important in its own way.

As a musician, not just an 'instrument-ist,' I find a more complete understanding of the different angles from which these instruments approach the same tune gives one a far better idea of both the limitations and the possibilities of one's role.

TL;DR: Learn the drums. It'll make you a better guitarist. Then learn more. It'll make you a better musician. It worked for me.

broj15

Reaction score
I'm not sure how it is in your area but where I'm from good guitarists are a dime a dozen where as I can count all the good drummers in my area on 1 hand. Do both if you can, but if your a good drummer you'll be a hotter commodity.

Just to list some benefits of doing both, understanding terminology and techniques of both instruments will make song writing much easier and will generally produce better results in a band setting. I'm not a good drummer by any means but I know enough to communicate a song writing idea to a drummer and have them understand what I mean.

Mechanix11

Reaction score
all replies are right, i would choose both, but first im want to learn more and buy a nice amp before buy a drum kit and learn to play drums. Well thats my plan