I have a 27 inch baritone 7-string and i want to tune to drop G#

rhysy

Reaction score
I am covering icarus lives for my year 12 HSC and i want to know what string gauge i should get for this tuning. I don't know alot about string gauges and i am very protective of my guitar so i just don't want to damage anything. Thanks in advance SSO :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
Well allow me to help you here. I just talked with Kalium (Circle K) Strings because that's my tuning of choice and I just picked up a Mayones 27" seven string. They recommended a 6 set of 9s with a 70 on the bottom - I couldn't be happier with Kalium Strings so far. They sound and feel absolutely killer! The overall set looks something like this (from thinnest to thickest string):

9-13-17-24-33-45-70

You will need to have your guitar set up and it is likely you will need to have a new nut made for it as I can guarantee the nut is slotted too deep for the thick bottom string. If you know a good tech I would highly recommend getting in touch with them before you proceed.

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
What kind of guitar are you using? I have an ibanez RG7421XL with a 27" scale tuned to G#. I currently use Dean Markley gauges: .010; .013; .017; .030; .042; .052; .060. It handles really well and stays in tune fine, plus this string guage requires zero modification. Works well for me, hooe this helps you.

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
I had to buy a 6 set and independently order a 70 for my 7th string. They don't make a 7 set for that. The reason for the thicker 7th on the Kalium strings is because their tension is different. To be frank I can't imagine ever going under 70 again after hearing how clear and punchy these strings sound. And I'm not prone to hyping.

rhysy

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help brother. I'm going to take your advice. I really appreciate you helping me out :)

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
what string gauge/tuning/scale length do you use now, and do you want to keep that tension?

using a tension calculator, it is easy to build a custom set (or find an existing set) that is close/the same tension as what you currently use. If thats your thing.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
what string gauge/tuning/scale length do you use now, and do you want to keep that tension?

using a tension calculator, it is easy to build a custom set (or find an existing set) that is close/the same tension as what you currently use. If thats your thing.

Yup :yesway:

The above suggestion is too light imo. Here's what I'd suggest
len 27
d4 .010 ckplg == 14.49#
a3 .014 ckplg == 15.94#
f3 .018 ckplg == 16.6#
c3 .026 ckwng == 18.7#
g2 .035 ckwng == 18.07#
d2 .049 ckwng == 19.36#
g1 .073 ckwng == 18.53#

This will feel like 10's in standard on 25.5 pretty much

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Pretty much what EtherealEntity suggested if you go with Circle K :yesway:

I actually just got a few sets of LaBella 10-70 for drop A on a standard scale 7, which would have almost exactly the same tension as G# with a 27" scale. The sets are 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46, 70, which is supposed to feel like 10's in standard with a standard scale. As an added bonus, that set is less than $6 USD per pack, which is an insane deal for a 7 string set and about $5 less than building a custom set on their site.

rhysy

Reaction score
Hey EtherealEntity, i just ordered those gauges off of circle k strings. I'll let you know how they feel man. Thank you all for helping me out. You guys rule ^_^