I lost my temper and bought a Digitech Death Metal pedal

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
So, I was at work and got frustrated after a meeting, it was the end of the week and I was tired. I went home and while looking/browsing used distortion pedals I came across a Digitech Death metal pedal. As I was pissed off and wanted something foul-sounding for my guitar practice of the day, I offered the seller 14 Euro and he agreed. So in hindsight, it will be easy to sell after I calm down or just use it as decoration.

My usual Damage Control Solid Metal does not provide that nasty dirt of the Boss Metal Zone and Digitech Metal Master (which was my first distortion pedal ever) and to be honest, sometimes you play guitar to blow some steam and not to sound elegantly heavy but at the same time boring and sterile like Ola, Abasi, that Lamp guy whose name I do not remember, etc. I just feel that there is more of an emphasis on constructing a tone with those guys (understandable if you like them as they work hard on what they do) rather than going balls to the wall.
Sometimes you need to sound ugly, so these pedals have their use, despite being mocked by the tone purists.:mf666:

I never owned the particular one but a guy from a band who shared the stage with one of my own in the past had one and when he forgot it on a gig, we used the Metal Master and he got the exact tone after dialing it right. So it was within the range of the Metal Master, which was a better choice due to it Morph knob which made it versatile to an extend. I remember the Digitech pedals of the 00s being build like tanks, cheap and fun as hell so they are not worthless despite not being a great choice for a serious rigs.

The DM came out many years ago (where is the hate for the Fuzz face or other legendary old pedals which grew old in a bad way?), there is NO Gain knob as it is cranked to 10 and has only the normal EQ selection and the volume (they seem to be very sensitive though). This may be silly to some but how many players that you know, who dial to that point and leave it on their standard distortion pedals, my guess is quite a few. So it made sense to produce one for this crowd, despite it being wrong from a point. :idea:

More details and needless review, when it shows up in the post.
death_metal_front_large.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
I had one when i started learning guitar. Paired it with a line 6 combo amp.
Didnt know about clean boosts back then hahaha

Chainsaw cutting into a bees nest

Shask

Reaction score
I used the old DOD version back in my teen years. Loved that pedal back then.

The Grunge pedal is almost the same, except instead of a mid knob, it has the gain knob. I actually modded my Death Metal to have a gain knob at one point.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I lost my temper and bought a Digitech Death Metal pedal
You monster! Act like an adult next time and just beat your children!

All kidding aside, does it serve the purpose of sounding apocalyptically pissed off to your satisfaction?

Last edited:

cyb

Tune Low Play Slow
Reaction score
I had one in high school..ran it in front of an old Peavey 2x10 SS amp. Pretty sure that amp had an FX loop, and it probably would've sounded a lot better that way, but I was young and dumb and, at the time, thought it sounded killer. I miss being blissfully ignorant sometimes...

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They get my vote for the coolest looking pedal ever dare I say? The looks make me want one.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
"sometimes you play guitar to blow some steam and not to sound elegantly heavy but at the same time boring and sterile like Ola, Abasi, that Lamp guy whose name I do not remember, etc."

I'm 100% on board with this sentiment. I practice to be cleaner, sweep better, play faster, etc. I even have Fryette, for Pete's sake. But, that's not why I play guitar. I play guitar for that super strat into a scooped Dual Rect, for a wall of noise and the articulation replaced by greasiness. Hitting that first power chord and letting it ring out with your legs apart and picking had pointed at the sky is the musical equivalent of cracking open a beer.

I've never heard that pedal, but cheap pedals are never a bad move.

watson503

Los Cochinos
Reaction score
Someone actually went through the trouble of stealing one of these from me a couple of years back lmfao I always dug the pedal and the sounds I got from it so I bought another one when I heard most of DigiTech was soon to be no more a while back.

Strobe

Reaction score
This was my first distortion pedal I ever owned. Funny thing is, it was actually a birthday present. From my mother. I am actually not sure if it was any good - but I do know it did not sound great into my Crate amplifier - nothing really did.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I'm just going to say this, man... a lot of the tones that are called "bad" I think are making a bit of a comeback. Ever since people started this Boss HM-2 hype and Metal Zone hype once again, it seems like more and more players are after that filth and grind. I say plug that motherfucker in and let your emotions out. Sometimes you just gotta vent some steam man and guitar tone doesn't always have to sound totally clean or overly processed like so much tone today. If anything, get us out of the neutered 5150 sound and see what you come up with. I'm glad more players are bringing back the grime and filth.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This was my first distortion pedal I ever owned. Funny thing is, it was actually a birthday present. From my mother. I am actually not sure if it was any good - but I do know it did not sound great into my Crate amplifier - nothing really did.
I think everyone beginner had a Crate GX15. And your right, nothing good ever came from, or out of it!
Especially putting a metalzone in front of it. :fullofit: