I need a crash course in Jackson guitars

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Never owned one but I've wanted a Rhoads ever since I saw Kisser play one in the Roots bloody Roots video. Been looking around and the most appealing would probably be a RR24 or a Kevin Bond which are no longer made. Don't really like any of the current models except a RR1 which is too much.

Are non no longer made in Japan? Is it USA or Indonesia only? 2nd hand MIJ seems to be the way to go. Are the Indonesian any good? Some of the Pro models are kinda nice but if they're the same level as Misha's Indo line then I'll stay away.

Any Rhoads models I should look for or avoid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kreprn

Reaction score
Yeah, all made in usa and indo nowadays.
I think they made atleast some of the pro line guitars in mexico few years back, which seemed to have pretty good quality on them. atleast the few dinkies i’ve come across had.
I honestly think that the way to go would be the rr24, or some else mij rr.

EDIT: sorry for the faulty info, only the dinkies were made in mexico!

NateFalcon

Reaction score
The used MIJ Jackson “professional” series Rhodes neck-thru’s are about as close to USA quality as your gonna get :agreed:...much nicer IMO than a new Indonesian model

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
When did they stop with Japan production? Is it easy to confuse these desirable "Professionals" with the current "Pro" lineup?

What's the going price on MIJ Professionals?

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Factory closed. I wouldn’t buy an Indo one unless you got to try it in person or bought it from a place with a solid return policy. Many are great, some are not. I had a first run RRMG Pro from Indonesia and it had black side markers on black ivoriod binding. Just impossible to work with.
RR3s are sick. But keep an eye out for those Professional models for sure. Last one I saw in person was $600 at a pawn shop. Not sure what they go for usually now.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
$600 for an MIJ pro is way too much unless it's a pre-1997 neck-through (even then, it's a lot, although it's more reasonable). About 2x the price it should go for with the case. Those guitars haven't held their value at all, which is great news if you're looking for a solid player at a really good price.

As for where they're made now -- the bolt-ons are made in the Mexican Fender plant, the neck-throughs are made in Indonesia. Both are overpriced for what they are, IMO.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
600 for a neck-thru pro Rhodes in GREAT SHAPE is a good price...most in the 5-600 range have damage of some sort

NateFalcon

Reaction score
There is a difference between the bolt on pro’s and the neck-thru pro’s with MOP Jackson logo, MOP shark fins and ebony fretboard

Edika

Reaction score
If you're in the US you can find a RR1 for about $1100-1300. However I've seen that since Jackson has raised their prices so have the used prices risen. I haven't played one of the professional Jacksons but the 3 MIJ ones I tried, while nice and good value for the used prices I got them, were nowhere close to a US Jackson.
I have been curious to get one of the RR24 withthe single humbucker they put out a few years back but the prices I see them selling in the UK and the condition they're in are quite ludicrous. Especially since a few years back they were going for about 200 less. Only one I had found that was reasonably priced but I had just got another guitar then so my wallet could not afford a second one.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Locally for sale:
repainted and dinged 1990 Professional, Low Profile FR, asking price 1090€.
RR24 with added neck pickup, asking 1100€. That must be like double price.

I remember the Kevin Bonds being 9XX€ brand new. Anyone know how much the RR24 was?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
RR24 was about 1k euros new as far as I remember, so 1100 must be a joke :)

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to sell overpiced items to people, unfortunately. People who do not have an immediate need for money will let their goods sit if it means selling for more later.
The reverse is true, if you made an "awesome deal" you likely took advantage of someone not knowing what he had and the price he could sell it for.

Exit Existence

Reaction score
As stated before, the old 90's MIJ "Professional" series Rhoads were nearly Identical to their USA counterparts in specs. They have real MOP inlays, same binding, ebony fretboards ect.
(There used to be rumors that they discontinued them because they were hurting Jackson USA sales...not sure how much truth there is to that, but still attests to their quality / price ratio)

Unfortunately they are really hard to find used and in good condition, and even then people are asking a lot for them. Used USA RR's are probably easier to get your hands on in better condition.

Just my opinion but Jackson Imports have really been declining in quality. I own a USA Jackson and the gap in quality between their USA line and their imports is astounding. I walked into guitar center a few months ago and saw a Dinky with the binding literally unglued falling off the neck....

Edit: I actually have a picture of it XD
J7OQEVg.jpg

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
When did they stop with Japan production? Is it easy to confuse these desirable "Professionals" with the current "Pro" lineup?

What's the going price on MIJ Professionals?

Now if you could even come across a Jackson Stars guitar that is MIJ, that would be a REAL deal you'd be getting. What's even better? A Jackson Stars that was Made in the USA ;)

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Personally I won't buy an Indo Jackson. I've had nothing but bad experience with them. I've owned two, and I returned/sold off both of them. USA Jacksons are worth it, but IMO nothing else by them are. I've played many newer "Pro" models and I hated every single one. A Prestige Ibanez absolutely blows away any Jackson "Pro" model I've ever played. Just my two cents.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
RR24 was about 1k euros new as far as I remember, so 1100 must be a joke :)
It's not stupid to ask but to pay =)

Right now a early 90's Fusion Pro was listed for 650€. Aren't they the same quality as the RR Professionals?

1b4n3z

Reaction score
I've only owned USA Jacksons and the build quality is quite random tbh - I'd be inclined to think MIJ means more consistency in that regard. I'd hit that black Fusion up right away if I needed a good super strat right now

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
The MIM Pros are killer. I regret selling my silverburst DK2M. But the MIJ RR Professionals, with the MOP logo, etc, I don't know if I'd say RR1 USA quality, but definitely not too far off.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Used USA or MIJ are the only way to go, most of the newer jacksons below 800 USD are pretty meh for the specs/overall quality. If you want something in the vein of the RR then the LTD alexi model is pretty much a rhoads, and they're pretty high quality usually. no matter what, try the guitar before you buy it (if possible).