I need suggestions for better pickups (active)?

ACfireandiceDC

Reaction score
Hi,

I own an Agile Interceptor 7 string with EMG 707s that I got last November. The guitar plays great, and acoustically, it sounds amazing and loud compared to my other electric guitars.

However, when I record with it, it sounds so dark and muffled, as if it's being recorded from behind a wall. Turning up the high mids and treble do not seem to help, because doing so just makes the guitar sound tinny or gives it a buzzing sound. So, basically, I either have a rich tone that sounds incredibly muffled, or else a clear tone that sounds really empty. I've spent hours trying to dial in a good tone, adjusting all of the settings on the amplifier and noise gate, etc. but to no avail. Even the Cepheus active pickups on my other Interceptor (which are much quieter) still produce a much better sound.

Can anyone suggest some pickups for me? I would prefer active (because my guitar is wired for them) but passive would work as well. Thank you in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
EMG 57-7/66-7. They're a very clear, dynamic, and versatile set that fixes all of the problems with older EMG's (707's, 808's) sounding like they have a blanket over them. Plus they should be an easy solder-free swap.

If you want something a bit hotter, but still dynamic and not dark/muffled when you record, the 81-7x/85-7x set would also work great.

Noxon

Is a Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I own an Agile Interceptor 7 string with EMG 707s that I got last November. The guitar plays great, and acoustically, it sounds amazing and loud compared to my other electric guitars.

However, when I record with it, it sounds so dark and muffled, as if it's being recorded from behind a wall. Turning up the high mids and treble do not seem to help, because doing so just makes the guitar sound tinny or gives it a buzzing sound. So, basically, I either have a rich tone that sounds incredibly muffled, or else a clear tone that sounds really empty. I've spent hours trying to dial in a good tone, adjusting all of the settings on the amplifier and noise gate, etc. but to no avail. Even the Cepheus active pickups on my other Interceptor (which are much quieter) still produce a much better sound.

Can anyone suggest some pickups for me? I would prefer active (because my guitar is wired for them) but passive would work as well. Thank you in advance.

I have eight string Blackouts in my Agile and I really like them. I also have the EMTYs in my seven string. They're amazing for distorted stuff, but sketchy for cleans. I would recommend checking out Duncans. If you want to stay with EMG, check out the X series stuff. I really like the sound of the 81-7x. Of course this is all subjective...

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
81-7 would be a cheap and easy replacement. It's a lot more defined/tight/aggressive than the 707 in the bridge position

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Just went to the 57/66 set in my Boden OS that had 707Xs. Massive improvement in basically every regard.

Atomic Kemper

Reaction score
Active: SD Blackouts AHB-1 calibrated set (7 string Blackouts are actually BETTER than the classic 81/85 set) or just get 81/85

Passive: Lace alumitones or lundren;< BETTER option but more expensive; definitely worth for tone though

GL :)

boogie2

Reaction score
Just went to the 57/66 set in my Boden OS that had 707Xs. Massive improvement in basically every regard.

Ditto. The 57/66 set is less compressed and much more dynamic. Cleans up better with the volume control. The 707X set was good for metal and useless for pretty much anything else.

Latest posts