I want to hear your opinion

• Thread starter Proffa3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    7 strings
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Proffa3

Reaction score
Hi.
Im going to buy new guitar in next couple of months and im wondering should i buy 6 or 7 string guitar. Now i have jackson js32. I play pretty much everything from van halen and megadeth to architects, suicide silence, dream teather and whitechapel. Im planning to buy mayones duvell elite, but not sure if 6 or 7 string, so please give me your honest opinion which one should i get.
Ps. Does the 7 string make it harder to play 6string songs like tornado of souls or master of puppets.
Thank you for your answers :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BubbleWrap

Reaction score
I recommend trying out a 7 string before spending Mayones type funds on one. Either buy a cheap used one or try to find one just to play for a bit.

Proffa3

Reaction score
Yea, i agree to that. Maybe the near guitar store could give some 7 sevenstring for week or so to borrow, the same shop works as mayones retailer.

vividox

Reaction score
Definitely try out a 7-string before you buy a Mayones. Some people like 'em, some people don't, some people want to quickly jump to an 8-string.

As far as playing 6-string stuff on a 7-string goes, it's not too bad as long as your tuning works out. Biggest obstacle to overcome is figuring out how to silence an extra string - it's a small but noticeable increase in difficulty. Nothing you can't overcome with a little practice.

MetalHead40

Reaction score
I agree with others regarding trying before buying. Spending that kind of coin, I would be making a point to play an actual Mayo if possible.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
As a long time seven string player, my opinion would be too biased toward getting a seven string.

I think the recommendation above is a great idea, but, I would caution that not all seven string guitars play similarly, so you might want to try one out that is as close as possible to what you are thinking of purchasing. Just like you wouldn't try to test drive a Volkswagen Bug if you were thinking of buying a Porsche 911.

domsch1988

Reaction score
This depends highly on your style of playing. For me 7's are closer to 6's than 8's are (obvious statement is obvious...). For me 7's feel like a "normal" guitar, 8's feel like a new instrument.
None the less, for my playing 7's are not usable for 6 string arrangements. I play with high energy and really wack on those strings. When having to avoid the 7th string i loose to much of that power.

For my money? A duvell elite is around 2.5k€. I'd get a nice setius 6 if you want mayones and invest the remaining 700 or 800€ in a mid tier 7 string. But, while mayones guitars are reeealy nice, i'm still not 100% sure they are worth what they're asking for me. Plenty of nice guitars in the 2k range...

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
If you do a lot of Hendrix cords (using the thumb to fret notes on the 6th string) and you don't have huge hands, I wouldn't get a 7 string. Otherwise, I think they're great. Always best to try, but it'll take more than a few minutes in a store to adjust.

I'd buy something like an RG7620 and live with it for a few months and see what you think. Not a fancy guitar, but high quality and can be sold without losing any meaningful money if you then want to buy a Mayones.

Proffa3

Reaction score
Lately i have played a lot with my six string down tuned to b or even f and tried to play normal e riffs one string higher, it has workd surprisingly well, but you are right that maybe i should buy cheaper first. Only trouble is the situation where im getting this guitar, my father's aunt just died and he got some money from her so he wanted to buy some special instrument for me as a memory. So i doubt it very strongly that he agrees to buy cheaper first or two guitars(of course i can buy the mid priced 7 string by myself too)

bpprox22

String Breaker
Reaction score
As a long time seven string player, my opinion would be too biased toward getting a seven string.

I think the recommendation above is a great idea, but, I would caution that not all seven string guitars play similarly, so you might want to try one out that is as close as possible to what you are thinking of purchasing. Just like you wouldn't try to test drive a Volkswagen Bug if you were thinking of buying a Porsche 911.

This is an important point. The first 7 I tried did not sell me on getting a 7-string. Then I tried my Ibby Prestige 7-string and got hooked.

Overtone

Reaction score
Personally, I'd go for a good six string in a situation like that. Sevens are cool and all, but I really prefer playing 6 string stuff on a 6 string, and I know that most of the music I play was written on/for a 6 string guitar (whether by me or someone else). I don't really like playing 6 string stuff on a 7, so if it's "one guitar to rule them all" it's going to be a six.

But, really, that's just an opinion... and if you are pining for a sweet seven string, there's really no reason not to go for it!

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I've bought a 7 string telling myself that it would also be my 6 string, but that's just not what happens.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go for a good six string in a situation like that. Sevens are cool and all, but I really prefer playing 6 string stuff on a 6 string, and I know that most of the music I play was written on/for a 6 string guitar (whether by me or someone else). I don't really like playing 6 string stuff on a 7, so if it's "one guitar to rule them all" it's going to be a six.

But, really, that's just an opinion... and if you are pining for a sweet seven string, there's really no reason not to go for it!

:scratch: I don't follow your logic. If you can play 6 string songs on a seven, but you don't really like it, but you can't play seven string songs on a six at all, and you are only buying one guitar, get a six string? :confused:

It depends really on what you want to play. If you don't want to play a seven string, then, well, obviously, you don't get a seven string. :lol:

But if you have to choose only one and you intend to play six string stuff AND seven string stuff, the answer is equally obvious, but opposite.

I think some guys (me) prefer to play a seven, and some guys (Overtone) prefer to play a six. It's like some people prefer dark chocolate and some prefer milk chocolate, and some don't like chocolate at all ( :nuts: ). The time went seven string guitars were trendy came and went and then returned. I wanted a UVMC when I first saw Steve Vai holding one. It took me a couple years to save up enough to get a seven string and I have not looked back since then. Since I've just gotten used to it, I don't feel like it's any adjustment to play six string songs on seven... if you played a six string most of your guitarist career, then it's going to be an adjustment. When I started playing eight with a high A all of the time, I started having serious problems adjusting back to regular seven strings, so I had to make sure to give both equal play time. ;)

For me, personally, if I were limited to just one guitar, I'd go with the highest number of strings for sure. But as far as recommending something for someone else, I say go for whichever you like best. If you are going for a seven to look a certain way or to make your band sound heavier, then I'd suggest thinking about that reasoning and determining if it wouldn't be better to just get a six string and tune down. If you like the idea of having extra range, then get the seven, or maybe even an eight.

A-Branger

Reaction score
if you are already playing music (covers in your case) that would require a 7 string, so you already have a full on list of songs to learn that you werent able to play them before, then get yourself a 7 string. You would be bussy and happy enough with those songs.

Then you can grab your current 6 string and have it change to a different tuning, or not. Either way later down the track you can get a better 6 string for those times you dont want to deal with the 7th string

Overtone

Reaction score
My logic is that he wants to buy one premium instrument, and that it has a sentimental value... so if he's more of a six string player, to get a 6 for that particular purpose and buy a cheaper 7 later down the road and see how it goes. See post #11.

For real though, I wouldn't be afraid to do the seven string either, especially if they see themselves being passionate about it.

A-Branger

Reaction score
I know but I would see it the same way Is aw it when I got my 5 string bass. Buy smart, buy once. RAther than buy cheap to "try", then to later find a way to re-sell in order to get some money for a better buy

if he already has a bunch of songs he wants to learn in 7 string (due to the list of bands he covers), then there wont be any issues with him getting a 7 string as he would be using it in fully(same reason why I jumped from a 4 string to a 5. I already had a bunch of songs to learn and to use it for, then later down the track I learn more about the advantages of having one and to use it on a different context). Problem comes when someone buys a 7 string to "try it", to see what they can do with some riffs and maybe play one cover, thats when they dont gel with the instrument as 99% of their playing would still be on 6 string.

Plus also dont kid ourselves, there wont be a "one guitar to rule them all" scenario hahaha. So chances are in a few months or a year or two, the OP would be looking at getting a "premium" 6 string too (if he doesnt already has one).

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
My (heavily biased due to GAS) opinion is get the 7 cos it's cooler. IMO you can play any 6 string stuff just as well on a sev unless its stuff where you gotta thumb notes on the low E. You'll get used to/feel at home with whatever guitar you play the most.

Jujex

Reaction score
Hi.
Im going to buy new guitar in next couple of months and im wondering should i buy 6 or 7 string guitar. Now i have jackson js32. I play pretty much everything from van halen and megadeth to architects, suicide silence, dream teather and whitechapel. Im planning to buy mayones duvell elite, but not sure if 6 or 7 string, so please give me your honest opinion which one should i get.
Ps. Does the 7 string make it harder to play 6string songs like tornado of souls or master of puppets.
Thank you for your answers :)

I'm like you, we actually covered Tornado of souls a month ago with my band for fun and I used my new Kiesel 7 for it. I loved it at first but after a few takes my hand started to hurt a bit so I reverted back to 6.

In my opinion you should spend good money on your 6 string and have that as your main guitar. I did that with my Mayones. I mostly play 6 string music anywhere from death/prog to fusion shred so I'm more comfortable on my 6s. And that's why I spent the money on the Mayones.

But I also got a 7 string that is a bit cheaper but still I love it just as much.

One thing that I realized specially since my 7 has a thinner neck is that your hand will tire out quicker playing 6 string chords than it would on a 6. You should take this into consideration.

As for your 7 I would recommend a used Ibanez prestige. They are affordable and still great and in case you feel that you don't like it you won't lose too much money on it and the market for them are always good.

Get the Mayones or Jackson USA for your 6.:hbang:

Latest posts