Ibanez 7//My tone knob kills tone. Wiring problem

• Thread starter KGINDI7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KGINDI7

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I bought a 1999 Ibanez rg7620vk off eBay. While it is a terrific guitar in terms of playability, I am having problem with the electronics.

The tone knob on this thing is like a volume knob. Even if the volume is at 10, if I turn the tone knob to 0, there is no sound .
Also, the sustain is very low. I can hear a very faint sound for a longer period but as I said, its very faint. I believe too much signal is getting away into earth wire.

I checked the wiring on this guitar according to the diagram but it seems fine to me.

I have a little experience with wiring dimarzio pickups but cannot find a solution for this problem..

Any help would be appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
I'd think that your 0.022u cap might be desoldered or as crapped out, since its made to dime some frequencies to the ground, if its not soldered correctly it will send the whole signal there.

Either that or the wire that connect the volume to the knob as a short.

Best I can do without pictures :lol:

KGINDI7

Reaction score
Pictures will be here soon. Just a little lazy. :D

So if I simply disconnect the tone knob(dont use it anyways), will it be good to go?

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
If you don't use it anyway, it should be good to go even if it's just acting like a volume. Leave it on 10 and ignore.

tedtan

Reaction score
Pictures will be here soon. Just a little lazy. :D

So if I simply disconnect the tone knob(dont use it anyways), will it be good to go?

Yes, if you don't use it, you can simply disconnect it. Doing this will give you slightly more high end, too.

KGINDI7

Reaction score
I solved the problem of tone knob working as a volume just by removing and then again soldering the wire that connects volume pot to tone pot.

Sustain is still an issue though.

Here is a pic of the controls cavity.

Is this pickup height too much?

Shask

Reaction score
I think that looks high. I am not sure, but you might be getting magnetic pull which is killing sustain by having it so high. Then again, lowering it could reduce sustain also. Guess it doesn't hurt to try though!

KGINDI7

Reaction score
Tried. No luck.
So here is what I have tried till now
1. Disconnected the tone pot . No effect on sustain.
2. Reconnected the tone pot which somehow removed problem of tone pot working as volume pot
3. Lowered pickups but still no luck.

I have a pair of SD blackouts which I might install if I am unable to rectify it in a few days.

vick1000

Reaction score
Try some strings without a coating, if you are using those DR Black Beauties in the pic. Also the bridge is not level in that pic.