Ibanez choices! RG7421 with upgrades or RGIT27FE?

PeterHaugh

Reaction score
Hello 7 string players! :shred:

Currently looking for my first 7 string and I need some advice on what to get.

As a fan of Ibanez necks and the feel of guitars such as the RGIR27 I would ideally want something similar to this. However there isn't anything that fits my criteria exactly. (In the UK at least)

Criteria:
Passive pickups
Fixed bridge
Be under £800 or $1250

Is it worth getting an RG7421 and putting some BKP Aftermaths in it, or buying the RGIT27FE (incredibly good looking IMO) and dealing with the active pickups for a while until I can afford to change to passives?

Are there any other options?

(PS I wish I could justify importing an Agile but its not cost efficient)

Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gujukal

Reaction score
I would probably choose RGIT27FE, but if u're planning on doing a record or something the cheap Ibby with BKP will sound better.

vkw619

Inspired Beginner
Reaction score
If you can find an old MIJ 7421 used in good shape, that is worth way more than the Iron Label (as someone who has owned/played both). You will get a better deal and an (arguably) higher quality instrument going with a used 7421 or even a used 7621 for the price of an Iron Label.

Heck for that budget, you could maybe find a used prestige easily! Possibly with already upgraded pups!

FarticusMaximus

Reaction score
Bit of a budget stretch but have you considered the RG752fx? Specifically the RG752LWFX as it's available in the UK.

Prestige, PAF7's and sex factor 9.2.

If you are into the S shape I can recommend the Iron Label SIR27FD/SIX27FDBG. Again, PAF7's. This will be well within your budget, and personally I love 'em (just make sure you thoroughly inspect the neck before accepting it as fret end quality can be variable)

gujukal

Reaction score
You should buy used like above said, Ibanez are so cheap used compared to decent new models these days.

PeterHaugh

Reaction score
Bit of a budget stretch but have you considered the RG752fx? Specifically the RG752LWFX as it's available in the UK.

Prestige, PAF7's and sex factor 9.2.

If you are into the S shape I can recommend the Iron Label SIR27FD/SIX27FDBG. Again, PAF7's. This will be well within your budget, and personally I love 'em (just make sure you thoroughly inspect the neck before accepting it as fret end quality can be variable)

I did look at them briefly, I haven't had the opportunity to play one so finding it hard to tell if its worth the extra money. Having passive pups is a big bonus though.

I would love to buy second hand but finding a high end Ibby that someone actually wants to part with isn't incredibly easy round these parts. Probably worth persevering for perhaps?

Anyway, thanks for the assistance

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Do you guys have the RG927 QMF fixed bridge models in the UK? - would need to buy used since they are discontinued, but you'll get probably better initial quality (especially frets) than either guitar in your OP (those new RGT's do look sweet), and you can still swap the pickups, which are decent to begin with, since these guitars are not too pricey used - much cheaper than the new iron label. Plus they have some nice finishes with the 927 series.

here's a pic - actually i think in the 7's they only have this red - 6 string models much more variety
RG927QMFRDT-6d0f986132a4cacf4440cabf86668d82.jpg

PeterHaugh

Reaction score
That guitar would be great but I don't think they were sold in the UK; I can't find any anyway. I keep looking on the Ibanez USA site, its so unfair haha
Is the premium line being phased out?

I'm tempted to get the RG7421 for the time being until I get to grips with a 7 string fully, and save up for something that is closer to what I want. Maybe have to sell on of my 6's

Either that or move to America

As the for the SIR27FD, I prefer the RG body shape - and this is going to sound incredibly picky apologies in advance - the plastic cover for the pickup selector looks so bad...

stevexc

Reaction score
Premium line got axed for the US, still exists for the Canadian/Euro market. The hardtail 927 was available last year (or the year before) so some shops may still have some.

I'd go for the Iron Label over a new stock 7421 any day. The 707s really aren't as bad as people think, unless you're going for that stereotypical djent sound.

Don't forget to check evilbay for MiJ 7421s though, they go for pretty cheap.