Ibanez just posted my new instructional video! Prepare for "Glitch Tapping!"

• Thread starter koalanights
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

koalanights

Reaction score
Hope y'all will appreciate this! Ibanez posted up my new instructional video this afternoon, it's about this technique I've been working on called "Glitch Tapping." I'm sure others have done something similar, this is just the path I took figuring it out. Let me know what you think, it's mostly clean 8-string stuff in an indie/progressive/folk context.

http://youtu.be/xCTRCG20Jb4

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ikarus

Reaction score
Great playing man.

I wished you would have shown the expamples slower, so that one can actually follow what is going on. IMHO the instructional part is lacking, all i see is fingers flying around. ;)

AuroraTide

Reaction score
Great playing man.

I wished you would have shown the expamples slower, so that one can actually follow what is going on. IMHO the instructional part is lacking, all i see is fingers flying around. ;)

Agreed! Sick playing though, love to see all the crazy stuff you come up with

koalanights

Reaction score
I definitely went for density in this vid. I was very excited to have Ibanez interested and did not wanna blow this shot so I tried to pack a semi short video with a lot of logically consistent material, and despite covering a lot of ground without much specificity I tried to emphasize the possibilities of the technique more than the actual specifics. Hopefully it will work out for the best, and I'll ultimately have more opportunities to break stuff down and shoot more videos. I'm glad y'all liked it despite the bloated content!

I responded to a question earlier about the basic mechanics of the original glitch, maybe this can shed some light.

It was easiest for me to start with my right hand, but it may be different for others and I've had more success explaining it to people using the left. I would start with a hammer on using your left ring finger at let's say the 5th fret of 5th string. Try and really HAMMER. Then add your middle finger right after the index. You can go back and forth and get this cool delay kind of sound. Then try ring, middle, index. You really have to hammer the notes at first, it's like your aiming for a conspicuously hard sound, that won't sound good at first, but it's a necessary step to be able to tone the technique down get it to sound smooth. I would then add to the end of that, picking, thumping, sliding, whatever you want. Hope that makes sense for an intro. I also teach over Skype if you ever wanted to get the microscope on any of this. Thanks for watching!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Ohhh, I get it! So it's tapping multiple times on the same fret, but with different fingers.

And I loved how your cat just jumped up there. :lol:

RickSchneider

Reaction score
Incredibly cool sounding technique - while it sounds a bit bizarre on it's own it's awesome hearing it in the context of other instruments. Cool video man and congrats on Ibanez promoting it!

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
I came in here to post this. Heroic non-metal 8-string playing. Plus cat video-bomb

Mad skillz. Maaahaad skillz.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
josh, you are an amazing player. that's all I have to add. :yesway:

AxeHappy

Reaction score
I've been doing stuff similar to this, but this is way more badass then what I was pulling off.

Also:
10 points for the cat.

GunnarJames

Reaction score
When you have your own signature 8 string Ibanez, please make it an S Series and I will immediately buy it. This is based purely on the fact that you're playing the same guitar I do, so I'm blindly assuming that we have similar taste in guitars. :lol:

But really, that was awesome. I dig your band a lot, and love seeing/hearing an 8 string in a "non-traditional" context. We need more clean 8 string! :yesway:

stuglue

Reaction score
Yeah you need to do a follow up video with close ups and slower examples. I got confused as to what you were doing.
Great playing

Orgalmer

Chuggasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Man, that was awesome! This gives me something to try out and see if I can even coordinate at that level.