Ibanez RG 5328 or Schecter C8 Multiscale SLS Elite Evil Twin

jamcss777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys! I want to buy a new 8 strings guitar, ibanez or schecter.
schecter c8 has a 7pc neck looks very beautiful and hard, it has fishman fluence modern pickups, i like active pickup especially fishman, they are quiet diversity and great tone; but i don't like multi scale, multi scale makes it harder for me to play chords in the 1st fret.
ibanez rg5328 is Prestige series, made in japan, maybe it's better quality, its neck looks like a shredder; but it doesn't have a fishman pickups.
both of them are good guitar, I have a hard time choosing;);)

p_region_RG5328_LDK_00_02_sub_1.jpg C-8 MS ELITE EVIL TWIN TILT.png

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
schecter c8 has a 7pc neck looks very beautiful and hard, it has fishman fluence modern pickups, i like active pickup especially fishman, they are quiet diversity and great tone; but i don't like multi scale, multi scale makes it harder for me to play chords in the 1st fret.
ibanez rg5328 is Prestige series, made in japan, maybe it's better quality, its neck looks like a shredder; but it doesn't have a fishman pickups.

View attachment 98715 View attachment 98716
If you like the Ibanez better, but aren't sure of the pickups, get the Ibanez.

Once you have it and have played it, if you don't like the pickups, replace the stock pickups with Fishmans.

Mura

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Certainly Ibanez with fishmans may be the best choice.

However, if you want to install fishmans on the rg5328, you will have a problem that you have to route the pickup mounting holes.

At least fishman modern8 only has soap bar size.

jamcss777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Certainly Ibanez with fishmans may be the best choice.

However, if you want to install fishmans on the rg5328, you will have a problem that you have to route the pickup mounting holes.

At least fishman modern8 only has soap bar size.

Javier Reyes pickups looks good, its size like a passive pickups

Mura

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Javier Reyes pickups looks good, its size like a passive pickups

I misunderstood that you just wanted to use moderns.

As you say, Javier Reyes pickups and Open Core Classic should have no installation issues.

jamcss777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I misunderstood that you just wanted to use moderns.

As you say, Javier Reyes pickups and Open Core Classic should have no installation issues.
I have a modern, too many guitar use it, i want to try some different

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
You might find an issue installing Fluences because the control cavity on an Ibanez 8 is very small to fit in any sort of complicated switching along with a battery. That's the problem I ran into anyway.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score

View attachment 98715 View attachment 98716

I have the Ibanez and can highly recommend it!

MaxAidingAres

Reaction score
Both are pretty damn good TBH. I don't think you could go wrong with either. However the Schecter is more loaded with specs IMO. Better pickups (better resale value), Multi-scale (not really better but more expensive to produce).

If you value the Fishman's then get the Schecter. If you are going to replace the pickups regardless. Then get the Ibanez.

However a MIJ Ibanez with stainless steel frets (if not a lemon) is hard to beat, really hard to beat

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I would say go with the RG since you mentioned that multiscale is something you actively dislike. Why waste time/money on something you know you aren't fond of? Unless you're hoping to change your mind?

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
RG 5328 plus D-Activators and you're set. I own the predecessor of this model (the RG852) with Abasis installed and while it was already routed for active pickups I had to to go my luthier and install a battery box because the control cavity was barely big enough for the 5-way switch and the cables. It was a small and rather cheap mod and now I have screw-less access to the battery but it is something to keep in mind (plus the routing for the pickups if you don't wanna go with the Reys, Merrows or Classics). The guitar is absolutely fantastic tho (like a slightley simpler version of the RG2228) and I believe the 5328 will be amazing, too.

xplanet

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
...Also Fishmans need a bridge ground wire (passives always have this?). Lucky for me my RG2228 already had a bridge ground wire and with the active pup housing this was an excellent modification.

I would get the Ibanez, the neck will be amazing… it is for a very poor player like myself!

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though I no longer play Schecters, I always recommend it over an Ibanez. But this is personal preference of the neck. Additionally, I know Schecter adds a lot of value for any of their guitars at any price point. Especially when you're leaning towards an SLS Elite Evil Twin. That's their mid-range guitar around $1000+. It will play better than the Ibanez from my experience.

RexK

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You might find an issue installing Fluences because the control cavity on an Ibanez 8 is very small to fit in any sort of complicated switching along with a battery. That's the problem I ran into anyway.

RG2228’s do not have a battery compartment and Ibanez just wraps the battery in foam and sticks it in the control cavity. I swapped fluencies in mine with a full sized super switch and the battery fits fine.

He’ll be fine.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
RG2228’s do not have a battery compartment and Ibanez just wraps the battery in foam and sticks it in the control cavity. I swapped fluencies in mine with a full sized super switch and the battery fits fine.

He’ll be fine.
For real, how? I had to take out a pot to have enough room.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Maybe it depends on the setup: I'm using a push-pull pot and a Schaller 5-way-switch (rather big) and there's no way I can fit anything else in there. Or maybe the RG2228 compartment was bigger, don't know. Also the EMG-hardware was more compact (and simpler) than the stuff needed for the Abasis. When I was still using EMGs it all fit fine with the battery in the electronics compartment.

How it looks after the battery-box mod.
IMG-20201204-WA0007.jpeg

RexK

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For real, how? I had to take out a pot to have enough room.

To be fair, I only have one knob on mine too, but that's purely because the only reason I ever touch a tone knob is make sure it's at 100%

I see lots of other people with two knobs and Fluences and they can't all have installed a battery box. Although, the RG5328 has that extra switch installed so that will make it even tighter.