Ibanez RG Neck on an Epiphone?

• Thread starter Ginsu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
You go, Ginsu. A guitar is just a hunk of wood with wires on it. I found out that my ibby uv neck doesn't fit my fender squier body by trying to put it on. Just take your time and measure stuff a lot before you cut.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
I can see the future:
money will be spent, time will be wasted, guitar will be unplayable. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
If all it did was add two frets, I wouldn't bother. I'm doing it because it will look freaking awesome. XD
no it wont.

You go, Ginsu. A guitar is just a hunk of wood with wires on it. I found out that my ibby uv neck doesn't fit my fender squier body by trying to put it on. Just take your time and measure stuff a lot before you cut.

if your serious (i hope this is sarcasim im just missing) then you never had a uv that you tried to put on a squire body.

im calling bullshit.

basically by saying "a rg neck will look awesome on an sg body" your saying " megan fox's head would look great on drew cary's body."

with the amount of work it would take to do this you could build an sg 24 frett body for the ibanez neck.

FYI: it much more easy to put a sg body on a rg neck than it is to put a rg neck on a sg body.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Change RG neck to ZR Tremolo and Epiphone SG to RG560 and you have exactly what everyone told me about installing a ZR in my RG560.

167964_123312264400827_100001661620582_147803_863716_n.jpg

Anything can be done with the proper tools, time and patience.

You will definitely need a new bridge, try looking for a fixed bridge Ibanez neck (RG321) so you can also get the matching bridge and save the hassle of using the tune o matic.

Once you've filled in the old bridge holes, neck and bridge pickup route, measure out the scale length (25.5) and drill the new holes.

As far as the neck goes, Vai had one of his JEMs modified to accept a AANJ neck, so taking that into consideration, you will have to fill in the old neck holes, reshape and sculpt the neck joint to fit the AANJ screws, but try to save as much wood as possible, don't want to weaken the neck joint and have it break...

Good luck man, and again, patience and don't forget to measure, measure and MEASURE.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Back when I was but a wee Sagelet, frisking about in the fields, I had this Yamaha with a 24 fret neck, but I hated the superstrat body on it and it's crappy imitation floyd. My friend had an old Japanese strat copy body laying about. It was built to receive a 21 fret neck. I left the bridge where it was, routed into the neck pickup cavity, routed the neck pocket a little wider, put in a shim, measured thrice, cut once, sawed off the top end of the old neck pocket, extended the cutaway, spraypainted that fucker flat black, installed a Fender bridge and the electronics from the Yamaha, and, voila! Piece of shit guitar. But it was MY piece of shit guitar and it was a hell of a lot better than the original configuration. I played the snot outta that thing for 3 years. It eventually found its way into the hands of some needy musician.

Moral of the story: Yes, you can match bloody near any neck to bloody near any body. It just takes a little work, a little research, a lot of balls, and the willingness to fail and say, "Fuck it, that SG special is a $150 guitar. Where's my router?"

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
Change RG neck to ZR Tremolo and Epiphone SG to RG560 and you have exactly what everyone told me about installing a ZR in my RG560.
Change RG neck to 'swim in a' and epiphone SG to 'pool' and you have exactly what everyone told me about swimming in my pool. :lol:

Installing a trem on a hardtail is not anything near the same thing as putting a different neck on a guitar. :2c:

Could it be done: yeah.
Will it take a lot of modification: oh yeah.
Would it be easier to make a body around the neck: probably.
If someone has to ask without even checking for themselves if it can be done, seeing as they have the pieces laying around, will they probably have enough know how to do the necessary work to make it happen: I doubt it. :|
EDIT: [/cynic]

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
Change RG neck to 'swim in a' and epiphone SG to 'pool' and you have exactly what everyone told me about swimming in my pool. :lol:

Installing a trem on a hardtail is not anything near the same thing as putting a different neck on a guitar. :2c:

If someone has to ask without even checking for themselves if it can be done, seeing as they have the pieces laying around, will they probably have enough know how to do the necessary work to make it happen: I doubt it. :|

my exact thoughts. i know it sucks to get told " bad idea" but when you start a thread by asking a qestion then once you get your answer you change the question, then look for support on a project that everyone said would be a bad idea, you cant be caught off gaurd by the cynical comments. if you wanna do it go the fuck ahead, no one cares. can you do it? sure. did pack1080 put a zr on his hard tail? apparently. dose santa deliver gifts to all the good girls and boys accept jewish ones? (they get the draidle man) you bet your balls.

i got alittle off topic there. all im saying is this, if you have the desire to do this mch work, why not bild a body? at least then you would be learning an actualy usefull luthier skill ya know.

ps my u button just broke. dammit.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score

RG560s have a Lo Pro edge tremolo :2c:

It can be done, with a lot of work, is it worth it? only to the person playing it.

I think it's an interesting idea IF executed properly :mrburns:

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
no it wont.

if your serious (i hope this is sarcasim im just missing) then you never had a uv that you tried to put on a squire body.

im calling bullshit.

What do you do when your UV body is busted and your only other 7's are a set neck Epiphone V and a Squier? Well I had my old Schecter too, but that was my workhorse. Frankenstein 'em all, I say! Besides, who do you know has an original UV body they're going to part with? That's right- nobody.

rekab

Reaction score
I vote post pics every step of the way and go for it.
Even better would be a video diary documenting every second of the project so we can truly feel your frustrations as the project goes from excitement to hmmmm to I'm beginning to regre... @$&@@***%#@!!!!!!

I feel this will not end well for you. If you're set on trying, at least document the findings for humor or a big lesson in how shits done..

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Moral of the story: Yes, you can match bloody near any neck to bloody near any body. It just takes a little work, a little research, a lot of balls, and the willingness to fail and say, "Fuck it, that SG special is a $150 guitar. Where's my router?"

If your project is something you want to do in the real world, why not read some actual guitar repair and construction books, instead of looking for advice on an internet forum?

Since you talked about wanting to invest time and money in the project, do as you say and invest that time now in reading.

Bonus: You'll learn about guitar construction in general, beyond trying to figure out how to work on this particular project. You'll learn about different approaches. You might even decide you can get to your goal in a different way which works better.

Good luck!

----

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/members/tltstand.htmlOh, and thanks and reap to tltstand for posting that link. I've been considering some LP/SG shapes in 7- and 8-string for conversion to fretless, and that was helpful.

Ginsu

Reaction score
......GAHHH. Why didn't I think of that first? Well, it's a good thing I didn't start yet. XD Thanks.

Oh, and I'm not going to build a body around the neck. I don't HAVE the neck. What I'm trying to do is get a way thinner neck on my Epiphone SG than it currently has, since it's rather uncomfortable to play on.