Ibanez RG1527 or APEX2

• Thread starter dantesdeception
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
money isnt really an issue, it will take me 2 months to work the money for either anyway.

and i would prefer the better quality anyway, even if i cant tell at the momnent i wont want to regret getting the apex

trouble is i dont know if the shop will get them both in just for me to try them :S

im not sure.. but that is good knowledge about the different types.

awesome so is the wizard 7 neck the better neck?

I don't think you'd regret getting the APEX man...

but if money is not an issue then go mad!

I personally think that at it's current price, the 1527 is a ripoff, but if you want a floyd then go for it :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
yeah, i'll second the above posters... the rg1527 is too steep price-wise. you would do just as well to get a used RG7620. It's all the same features (with better pickups, IMO) for less than half of what you'll pay for a 1527!

As far as my post about the Wizard being a "better" neck, it just depends on what you like. I know some people who prefer the fatter, slightly rounder feel of the Apex's neck (wizard II). it does feel a little more like a "normal" guitar neck, whereas the Wizard 7 feels outragous! Its sooooo thin and flat. I love it, personally, but i could see why some people wouldn't.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
trem or no trem... and if you want a trem just get a 7620. i haven't heard a comparison that makes the 1527 sound that much better (or that much more worth the money for that matter). as for the body wood... well i just won't even get into that. but i will say that with pickup experimenting and turning knobs i've been able to find good tone out of any of my guitars (good meaning pleasing to MY ears) regardless of what it's made out of. :shrug:

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
awesome so is the wizard 7 neck the better neck?

The RG1527 has an "Ultra" neck, which is a rounder C shape than the Wizard-II-7's D shape on the APEX2. I much prefer it to the square shape necks.

yeah, i'll second the above posters... the rg1527 is too steep price-wise. you would do just as well to get a used RG7620. It's all the same features (with better pickups, IMO) for less than half of what you'll pay for a 1527!

As far as my post about the Wizard being a "better" neck, it just depends on what you like. I know some people who prefer the fatter, slightly rounder feel of the Apex's neck (wizard II). it does feel a little more like a "normal" guitar neck, whereas the Wizard 7 feels outragous! Its sooooo thin and flat. I love it, personally, but i could see why some people wouldn't.

While the RG762*s are a lot cheaper and have a much thinner neck, they're of a lower quality than the RG1527 in nearly every way (except the Lo-Pro-7's locking studs but that's a minor modification you can do to any Edge-Pro trem) not to mention that the pickups are still crap in the RG762*s and will need replacing anyway. They're certainly not bad guitars but I sold my RG762* and kept my RG1527 if that's any indication of my stance... ;)

dantesdeception

Reaction score
Why not go used ala RG7620/Rg7621?

hmm i do not know this guitar?

I don't think you'd regret getting the APEX man...

but if money is not an issue then go mad!

I personally think that at it's current price, the 1527 is a ripoff, but if you want a floyd then go for it :agreed:
yeah man i think im decided on the 1527 :D

hmm you see ive heard its the apex with the dodgy shaped neck?

The RG1527 has an "Ultra" neck, which is a rounder C shape than the Wizard-II-7's D shape on the APEX2. I much prefer it to the square shape necks.

While the RG762*s are a lot cheaper and have a much thinner neck, they're of a lower quality than the RG1527 in nearly every way (except the Lo-Pro-7's locking studs but that's a minor modification you can do to any Edge-Pro trem) not to mention that the pickups are still crap in the RG762*s and will need replacing anyway. They're certainly not bad guitars but I sold my RG762* and kept my RG1527 if that's any indication of my stance... ;)
awesome man huge help!

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
If you've decided on the RG 1527, it's a great guitar. It's wise to factor in some money for a pickup upgrade while you're at it too, otherwise you may be stuck with a guitar you don't enjoy tonally if you otherwise don't factor that money in.

dantesdeception

Reaction score
is that a joke?

no, whats the big deal

If you've decided on the RG 1527, it's a great guitar. It's wise to factor in some money for a pickup upgrade while you're at it too, otherwise you may be stuck with a guitar you don't enjoy tonally if you otherwise don't factor that money in.
yeah man im lookin at some bare knuckle ones, maybe the nailbomb or warpig

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
I would go with the Apex 2. But i'm a fixed bridge guy.

Er... The APEX2 is fixed bridge...

get in touch with a guy called Zimbloth on which BKP will work best in Basswood :yesway:

He shouldn't bother. He should just contact Tim at Bareknuckle Pickups since the guy's already in England.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
LOL. The only thing the Prestige 1527 has over the RG7620 is the headstock joint, which is even debatable since I've never seen an RG7620 with a crack at that spot. IMO, there's no reason to spend the extra 500-700USD to get the RG1527, unless you don't like used equipment, or you want a maple fretboard really bad. Especially, since this will be your first 7 string.