Ibanez RG2228 Thread

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
Awesome, definitely gotta make the switch:metal:

By the way your anaconda is hot...:ugh:...:eek:...:lol:

Thanks, buddy, as naughty as that sounded :)

I absolutely love it. The neck is very reminiscent of the green dot I used to love. I've played a 2228, but it's been so damn long, i've forgotten what it was like. I would really like to compare and contrast the two, especially cause that tuning stability the 2228 has with that locking bridge intrigues me since I like to thrash around onstage and occasionally knock my guitars a little out of tune. Unfortunately, I haven't met anybody around here that has one :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Yo guys, sorry if this piece of conjecture has already been put out there, but what would you say the likelihood for the RG2228s from 2012 onwards having the new DiMarzio 8-string D-Activators in from the factory?

Just an interesting thought.

edit: sorry for extreme necrobump too

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
since we're necrobumping anyway I'd like to know/hear if the switch from EMG808 to Blackout 8's is worth the trouble!

I've had my RG2228 for nearly 6months by now and loving every aspect of it (even wrote a paper about 8-string guitars, with focus on Ibanez and the 2228, as a school project!). But even though it's perfect for me and sounds incredible with my Randall RH150G3 halfstack, I can't stop wondering if I could kick it up a notch by replacing the pickups!

So, EMG's to Blackouts! Is it worth the trouble?

Thanx! ^^

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
^ i dont know about blackouts, but i did the 18 volt mod and it made all the difference. I was going to switch to BKPs but there's no need now, the mod fixed pretty much everything id didnt like about the pups and kept everything i did like =)

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
^ i dont know about blackouts, but i did the 18 volt mod and it made all the difference. I was going to switch to BKPs but there's no need now, the mod fixed pretty much everything id didnt like about the pups and kept everything i did like =)
well, I've done the 18volt mod before, so maybe I should try and do it again? :)

Romain

Reaction score
I did 18v mod, but I can't compare because my guitas was BEADGBEA ( previous owner tuning ). But I feel the clean different, and I like it !

I think the next month I'll SP Custom pickups ( chaosland 2.5 and origin ), I'll try before to record with EMG to do a comparaison.

TJV

Reaction score
RG2228 body size? Is it same as rg7?
Seems to be same shape but is there any differences in width or length?

TJV

Reaction score
Yo guys, sorry if this piece of conjecture has already been put out there, but what would you say the likelihood for the RG2228s from 2012 onwards having the new DiMarzio 8-string D-Activators in from the factory?

Just an interesting thought.

edit: sorry for extreme necrobump too

I went to my local Ibanez dealer today and I asked price for RG2228. They told me that there will be new version in january. It's having Dimarzio D-activators!:yesway:

Dayn

Reaction score
I went to my local Ibanez dealer today and I asked price for RG2228. They told me that there will be new version in january. It's having Dimarzio D-activators!:yesway:
That would be pretty damn cool. I'd like to have a second RG2228 with passives... or at least, a non-EMG-sized route.

jon66

Contributor
Reaction score
As cool as that would be, I doubt Ibby would use anything except their own proprietary bridge designs...

Still though, imagine the win with passive routes + dimarzios + hipshot bridge + locking tuners? :metal:

VILARIKA

Reaction score
As cool as that would be, I doubt Ibby would use anything except their own proprietary bridge designs...

Still though, imagine the win with passive routes + dimarzios + hipshot bridge + locking tuners? :metal:

Stop it, your making me depressed :lol:

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
it would be pretty sick to see a passive fitted prestige 8 string

hoping, more like praying, to see an 8 string RGD design with passives, that'd be TITS \m/

jon66

Contributor
Reaction score
Ya and with recent whispers/rumors about new or updated models being released at NAMM this winter, which means we wont even see those models until next spring/summer, it makes it a poopy time for someone (like myself) who planned on buying either an rga8 or rg2228 this fall. Why do I do this to myself? It seems like every single year that's the time I'm about to pull the trigger on a new guitar, but torture myself with "what could be" in coming months... Get one now or wait another 6 months for something potentially "better".... Anybody else seem to do this...every...single...year? lol