Ibanez RG7 Replacement Pickups

Estefan

Reaction score
Hi guys, im looking at buying my first seven string and i think its going to be the very affordable and popular ibanez rg7. The only reoccurring problem i see with this guitar is that the stock pickups are garbage and many players change them out. My question to you guys is what pickups set would you recommend for drop A deathcore/ hardcore. So far i like the BKP aftermaths for their tight low end and powerful punch, but thats all i have so far. Any suggestions would be great, thanks http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
What wood is your rg7? I'm assuming basswood
I say go with bkp warpigs
They're dark, tight, and aggressive
And awesome on leads.
And are regarded as many as the Savior pickup for basswood.

Symb0lic

Death Metal fanboy
Reaction score
You could go a Warpig, but 2 that are equally good are the Cold Sweat and Miracle Man.

The Warpig sounds great in my friend's Ibanez, but it has a massive low end, and basswood can have quite loose lows.

The Miracle Man and Cold Sweat can tighten this up a little.

In the end it's just personal preference, but my advice is if you go for a Warpig, the ceramic magnet is a better choice.

MitchellJBurgess

Reaction score
You COULD always try the Seymour Duncan Blackouts, they're really nice sounding!

Or you could try what these other guys are suggesting, or whatever you feel could be good!

Just try however you can to try the pickups, or look up reviews to see what to expect.

Good luck!

Symb0lic

Death Metal fanboy
Reaction score
If you didn't want to go down the Bare Knuckle route, email Dimarzio and tell them what guitar you're using, what wood it's made of, what amp you have, and what you want from the pickup (Tighter bass, sparkle in the top end etc) and they'll email you back with their best suggestion.

Also, Larry's a nice guy to deal with, good customer service.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Wait to change pickups until you know you dislike them.

Also, I can think of about 15 different RG7's.

Might want to get more info down on yours in case you need help in the future. We can't help if we don't at least know the model name ;)

leoseanster12

Big Gojira
Reaction score
Drop A Death/Metal/Hard-core? Well if you don't have a budget then yeah, Bare Knuckle Aftermaths would be fantastic. If not, other hot passive options would be the DiMarzio D-Activators and the Seymour Duncan Distortion.

Symb0lic

Death Metal fanboy
Reaction score
The Dimarzio X2N is one of my favourite pickups for death/thrash/grindcore.

Put it in a heavy guitar and it punches you in the face.

Put it in an Ibanez and it screams like a baby in a microwave.

Estefan

Reaction score
The exact model im looking at is the Ibanez RG7321 if you needed more information

thank you so much for the replies, i cant wait until my birthday so i can get my dream guitar :D

Also, if you guys have any other 7 string suggestions thatd be very appreciated. A tight and punchy low end is a must as im a rhythm guitarist and nothing is better than a solid, but not sloppy drop a tone ;p

Estefan

Reaction score
Maybe an agile axe? those look verrry nice for the price? im sorry im such a 7 string noob -_- haha