Ibanez RG7321 with Hipshot Fixed Bridge!

mynameismarc

Reaction score
I know, I know, this topic has been discussed far too many times over several different threads, but I wasn't able to get an exact answer without speculation!

I decided to go ahead and take the plunge after comparing my measurements of my older Ibanez fixed bridge and those of the Hipshot fixed and I came to the conclusion that the tapered portion would be the only edge showing signs of the previous bridge.

I tried to get the previous bridge's holes in the picture, but they're literally less than 1mm on each side (roughly .45mm by my measurements). The back end of the Hipshot covers the other holes, and the string-thru holes line up well enough to where the 4 degree orientation of the Hipshot actually coincides almost perfectly with the staggering of the Ibanez's.

This results in the higher three strings still having ample room to string through the body, but I'd say 40% of the three holes are covered by the bridge - not a huge deal at all, as long as the bridge is aligned well.

I know I've seen several users interested, so I just wanted to clarify that this IS doable, but it's up to you if you're able to accommodate the minute signs of the previous bridge. This didn't bother me because I only spent $150 on the guitar to begin with.

Once again, this is only the early RG7321's with the classic fixed bridge, not the Ibanez/Gibraltar styled one!

Blame the missing strings on the Planet Waves locking tuners! :wallbash::wallbash:

Attachments

• IMG_20140402_164135171.jpg
    IMG_20140402_164135171.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_20140402_164205004.jpg
    IMG_20140402_164205004.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_20140402_164154739.jpg
    IMG_20140402_164154739.jpg
    939.3 KB · Views: 307

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mynameismarc

Reaction score
I actually used a Minwax Wood Finish stain! I believe it's Red Mahogany, but I did a few coats. As for the oil, I used TruOil, which I found at a local Bass Pro Shop. Thanks! I absolutely love how it turned out!

Fenceclimber

Plays guitar, reads SSO
Reaction score
That looks awesome! Do you think it will work on the newer RG7421? They have the standard old-school hardtail bridge.

mynameismarc

Reaction score
Thanks! I know the 7421's have a nearly identical fixed bridge, but I'm not 100% sure if their measurements are an exact match. I would see if you can find the dimensions of the 7321 bridge and compare it to yours. I know I've seen a few threads where people have off-handedly mentioned that they were able to swap with little to no issue.

mynameismarc

Reaction score
Actually, what I did was use this .PDF to compare my bridge to the Hipshot itself. Just convert all of your measurements to mm's.

For me, I made sure to measure the string spacing of my current bridge and compare it to the Hipshot, which is nearly identical on the 7321, as well as the string-thru portions in relation to the current screws that held the Ibanez bridge in place.

The Hipshot is significantly smaller (roughly the size of rectangle made by current bridge's screws), so it's best to triple check all of your measurements before putting any more holes in your guitar!

Here's the .PDF directly from the Hipshot site: https://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/7stg_fixed.pdf

Epyon6

Reaction score
Nice work with the bridge, but holy shit that finish is sexy, I really normally dont like natural finishes at all but this makes it look like a higher end custom guitar...sweet shit dude :yesway:.

TheStig1214

Mr. Tophat Jones
Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised the basswood looks that good. I might have steal your idea and do this with my 7321 :D

Seriously, though, sharp guitar. It's beautiful.

How did you strip the finish?

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
Planned on doing this to my RGD7421 until I learned that the Gibraltar adds insult to injury by not being swappable with anything (as far as i know)

Epyon6

Reaction score
Planned on doing this to my RGD7421 until I learned that the Gibraltar adds insult to injury by not being swappable with anything (as far as i know)

Its not I already asked haha, well Its not on a S7421, but I don't see them being different

mynameismarc

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, fellas! Thanks for the love! I used the .175 plate height bridge which worked out perfectly with how high I set the saddles - which are INSANELY comfortable in contrast to the Ibanez stock saddles. I was actually super surprised how good it looked, especially because the body is 4-5 separate pieces, but the left portion ended up being my favorite! It went from looking like a $150.00 guitar to looking like maybe a $750-800 guitar basically overnight! I plan to add a white /black poles DiMarzio Liquifire in the neck here soon, so I must keep this updated!

mynameismarc

Reaction score
As for stripping the awful polyurethane finish, I used a cheap heat gun that I found at Lowes, but I know Walmart carries them for like, $20.00 or around there. Used the heat gun and a decent paint scraper and put it on high - but it was also outside during the winter - so I'd suggest medium heat, keep it moving not to char the wood and wait until it begins to bubble and scrape it! After that, I used heavy grit sandpaper, and eventually a hand sander to knock the clear coat off, then bumped it down to medium grit and then fine and finished the sanding with ultra fine steel wool - which can be found at Walmart as well!

Edit: Also wanted to add that the sinister clear coat residing under the awful stock finish is probably just as stubborn as the outer coat. I put several hours worth of hand sanding into knocking the clear coat off before succumbing to the urge to use a power sander, which worked wonders, as long as you're careful and continually feel for where the clear coat is thinning as you sand it. Also, for those dreading sanding the inside of the horns, I believe I wrapped a sheet of medium grit sandpaper around a wooden dowel, but anything circular tends to help the process.

mynameismarc

Reaction score

Yeahh, as far as I know, this only works with the smaller profile hardtail fixed bridges. I believe the Gibraltar ones are a bit wider, which would leave noticeable holes that would require wood putty and you'd need to drill new ones to accommodate the bridge!

TheStig1214

Mr. Tophat Jones
Reaction score
Officially stealing your idea. But I was thinking more of a flat black ceruse finish with a light grey grain. Which may be a pain in the ass with a tight grain like basswood.