Ibanez RGA121H meets Duncan Pegasus/Sentient + Ernie Ball 12-56 strings mini review

• Thread starter AkiraSpectrum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Duncan Pegasus/Sentient Pickup Review:

-Unlike a lot of people I was actually okay with the stock V7-V8 pickups that came in the Ibanez RGA121H CDO. I like how big and deep sounding they are, however, for downtuning they end up being too muddy for more clear-articulate playing. I don't have any Duncan pickups in any of my guitars so I wanted to plunge into a Duncan set after having replaced the EMG's in my LTD EC-1000 with Dimarzio Titans a few years back. I wanted something similar to the Titan set but a little more neutral sounding, more open/dynamic, with less bite. I found a really good youtube comparison video which compared Nazgul to Pegasus to Titan, and the video sold me on the Pegasus. It sounded similar to the Titan with the characteristics I was looking for (more open/dynamic, a little wider/bigger, less aggressive).

-Found a great deal on a used Sentient pickup ($60 +tax CDN - normally $140 new + tax) when I was visiting my family this summer in my hometown. To me, this was a sign that I needed to get this pickup swap on the road. Not to mention, it appeared the previous owner had cut the tabs on the pickup to fit it in a smaller tab cavity, thus saving me from having to worry about this! I ordered a Pegasus TB from a local retailer but had to wait about a month because the supplier didn't have any TB versions. Once I received the Pegasus TB I went to a local music store to get them professionally installed.

-The tech informed me that the Ibanez 5-way switches don't work with Duncan pickups, so if I used the 5-way positions 2 & 4 wouldn't work properly. He said that other 5-way super switches don't fit the cavity in the guitar so we had to use a 3-way switch. I was definitely looking for some split-coil tone options for the guitar but decided that with the lower-output nature of these pickups that the $50 charge for installing a push/pull tone pot might not be worth it. The tech recommended sticking with the 3-way and if I felt the need for the split tones to come back and install the push/pull afterward.
-I haven't spent much time doing cleans as of yet but it would appear that the split tones aren't overly necessary with the cleans I'm getting from the Sentient. I am curious about the split tones but it isn't something I feel the absolute need to have at this point. Maybe down the road i'll get a push/pull installed.

-I have only spent a few hours with the Pegasus/Sentient but I definitely am enjoying them so far. Unlike the V8 the Pegasus doesn't muddy single tones when playing chords. The v8 had some decent note clarity but the low end was so powerful that if you are playing with another instrument in a band situation (or playing along with an mp3 track) these notes definitely get lost; the Pegasus does not suffer from this issue. The Pegasus definitely delivers the open/dynamic character while having a good balance between tonal width and focus.
-In terms of both pickups, I was surprised at how low the output was. The Pegasus, especially, is noticeably less output than all of my other bridge pickups. I found that I had to up the gain a bit on all of my BIAS FX patches in order to get the attack and power that I wanted (e.g. moving from 1 o'clock on the gain to 2 o'clock). I haven't spent much time with the Sentient so I don't have much to say about it at this time.

-Question-

-This is my only guitar with direct-mount pickups and I am a little unsure as to adjust pickup height. I found that both pickups were sitting really low so I loosened the pickup screws and pulled up on each of the pickups bringing them closer to the strings. They still appear to be pretty secure at the moment so hopefully I am fine leaving them like this. If this is problematic, what does SS.org suggest I do to raise the pickups? Should I use the foam that I have in my pickup cases to place under the pickups to raise them?

--------------------------------------------------------

Ernie Ball 12-56 Strings Review:

-Currently, my Ibanez RGA121H (CDO) has been in C-Standard and Drop A# (Bb) for some time now, after being used mainly in B-standard and Drop A (with 13-59 D'addario strings) until I was able to grab a used PRS SE-7 for those tunings. I found the 13-59 strings I was using were too tight for C-Standard and Drop A# so I took to a tension calculator and found a set that was very very close to the tension I was looking for (12-56 EB's). The only issue was that the 24p string was the only outlier in the set. I decided to give the strings a shot and buy a 24w string because this matched the tension I was looking for.

-Really liking the set so far. It feels very well balanced from string to string and the feel of the strings is really nice (feels nicer to me than a lot of the D'addario strings I tend to use). I can't put my hand on the difference between the D'addario and Ernie Ball strings in terms of feel (likely due to the different winding on the wound strings), but all I can say is that the EB's feel a little more pleasant to the touch and seem less rough (more smooth).

-As I expected, the 24p felt out of place, the tension was just so much higher than the adjacent strings and it made transitions from string to string very awkward. Moreover, I feel like the tone really suffered as well (very dull sounding). I immediately through on the 24 w and all my problems were solved. The 24w worked much better with the rest of the set and I am absolutely sold on using this set (12-56 EB with a 24w) for this guitar in the future.

---------------------------------------

Pics:
CrNVbP2XgAAPMtT.jpg

CrNVbpVXgAA7GAL.jpg

CrNVbg3XEAAPQLE.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nistley

Reaction score
The tech informed me that the Ibanez 5-way switches don't work with Duncan pickups, so if I used the 5-way positions 2 & 4 wouldn't work properly.

WTF. This is nonsense, I've swapped ibanez, SD, BKP, DiMarzio pickups in multiple RGs without any problems.

robski92

Reaction score
WTF. This is nonsense, I've swapped ibanez, SD, BKP, DiMarzio pickups in multiple RGs without any problems.

The neck pickup's magnet is reversed if I remember correctly, so the SD won't have the same effect as the stock pickup. It still works, it'll just be a different sound.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score

I don't have any wiring knowledge so I had to take him at his word. He was strong in his conviction that the 5-way would not work and said this is a known problem with the Ibanez 5-way switches.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
The neck pickup's magnet is reversed if I remember correctly, so the SD won't have the same effect as the stock pickup. It still works, it'll just be a different sound.

I see, so the 5-way works but it wont have the same split configurations (e.g. the neck in parallel on position 2)?
Perhaps he thought because the neck pickup wouldn't wire the same way as the Ibanez configuration that it was impossible to use the 5-way, instead of realizing that the 5-way could still be used but will give different split combinations, so instead of the neck in parallel on position 2 it would just be one coil of the neck in that position.

I figured this might be the case, but it was clear that the tech saw no other option other than using a 3-way.

EDIT: I have seen some forums that would suggest that the tech may be correct, so I have no clue.

wakjob

Reaction score
Nice review and beautiful guitar. I still lust for one of those 121's every time someone posts pics on the forum.

I openly love the V8 pickup too... in standard tuning that is. It's got a bit of old gritty Gibson pickup character to it IMO.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Nice review and beautiful guitar. I still lust for one of those 121's every time someone posts pics on the forum.

I openly love the V8 pickup too... in standard tuning that is. It's got a bit of old gritty Gibson pickup character to it IMO.

Thanks! I thoroughly enjoy playing the RGA121; simple, but solid instrument.

robski92

Reaction score
I see, so the 5-way works but it wont have the same split configurations (e.g. the neck in parallel on position 2)?
Perhaps he thought because the neck pickup wouldn't wire the same way as the Ibanez configuration that it was impossible to use the 5-way, instead of realizing that the 5-way could still be used but will give different split combinations, so instead of the neck in parallel on position 2 it would just be one coil of the neck in that position.

I figured this might be the case, but it was clear that the tech saw no other option other than using a 3-way.

EDIT: I have seen some forums that would suggest that the tech may be correct, so I have no clue.

Something like that, I'm not exactly positive. One of my RGA121's came with a three way switch. The second one I have has a BKP Painkiller in the bridge that wired in fine, but I've had a little trouble wiring the Dimarzio Liquifire I put in the neck. That might be on me though, I haven't tried re-doing the wiring in a while since I really just use the bridge pickup for that guitar. I did read similar things as you did online as well.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Something like that, I'm not exactly positive. One of my RGA121's came with a three way switch. The second one I have has a BKP Painkiller in the bridge that wired in fine, but I've had a little trouble wiring the Dimarzio Liquifire I put in the neck. That might be on me though, I haven't tried re-doing the wiring in a while since I really just use the bridge pickup for that guitar. I did read similar things as you did online as well.

Yeah, it's definitely an odd issue, that's for sure.

robski92

Reaction score
regardless enjoy the duncans man! They are awesome pickups for sure! Also, for increasing height, cut up the foam that the pickups came with and you can stuff that underneath them!

MiahDrao

Reaction score
This is definitely info I need to know. Thanks a bunch! And, of course, enjoy the new tones.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
regardless enjoy the duncans man! They are awesome pickups for sure! Also, for increasing height, cut up the foam that the pickups came with and you can stuff that underneath them!

Thanks! Yeah, I was thinking about using the foam the pickups came with. Right now they seem to sound quite good where they are at after I loosened the screws and pulled up on the pickups (raising them a bit). Unless they start getting loose or the pickup falls/lowers then I'll probably just leave them as is!

This is definitely info I need to know. Thanks a bunch! And, of course, enjoy the new tones.

Yeah? Are you looking into a Pegasus/Sentient?

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/michael-sherbert/duncan-pegasus-and-sentient-test[/SC]

Here is a quick test of the Pegasus/Sentient. Apologies for sloppy playing and random riffing with no direction
-First bit is high gain with reverb (Pegasus then Sentient with some lead stuff)
-Second bit is clean w/ fx (switching between: Sentient, Sentient+Pegasus, Pegasus)
-Third bit is high gain riffing (same tone as first bit but without reverb)

MiahDrao

Reaction score
Yeah? Are you looking into a Pegasus/Sentient?

Sort of... I think the EQ curve on the Pegasus is what I've been looking for, but I need more output. I think a common description is "airy" for this pup, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Although, it could be possible to modify it to increase its output. Maybe by replacing the Alnico V with a ceramic?

That being said though, I still think I might get the Invader over the Pegasus.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I've been considering the Pegasus.

No problem! Not sure if you saw it, but I uploaded a sloppy sound demo of the pickups, so hopefully this gives a pretty good idea of what the pickups can do. The main section to pay attention to what be the last one which is high gain without reverb; really really liking these tones.

Sort of... I think the EQ curve on the Pegasus is what I've been looking for, but I need more output. I think a common description is "airy" for this pup, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Although, it could be possible to modify it to increase its output. Maybe by replacing the Alnico V with a ceramic?

I understand the concern with output. Ultimately the output issue becomes a non-issue (for me) just by upping the gain a notch. I think the 'airy' description is fair, and I can understand why that might turn someone off who is looking for a lot of push at all times.

I'd be curious to see how a ceramic magnet would change the Pegasus, and I wonder how close it would then sound to a Nazgul (perhaps like a slightly more open/wider tone than the Nazgul I'm guessing). I don't think I've heard of anyone doing this so it's definitely a gamble because you don't know how its going to sound. The potential positive is that you'd have a fairly unique/rare humbucker sound and it could be the sound you are looking for.

The invader is a cool pickup from what i've seen/heard, don't have any direct experience with it though. Definitely seems to be a bassy/dark high-output monster. Good luck with whatever pickup you choose!

slayer6699

shredaholic
Reaction score

Maybe sd distortion?

robski92

Reaction score
I modded my invader by removing the spacer magnets and replacing them with regular ones and it kind of sounds like a beefier distortion. The Seymour Duncan forum has tons of people who do mag swaps on pickups so it's worth checking them out for doing stuff like that! I got the idea from there originally!