Ibanez RGA742FM - can PUPs be swapped with SD or Dimarzio without routing?

• Thread starter Strangedaze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Strangedaze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has swapped (or is familiar with swapping) pickups in an Ibanez RGA742FM. I haven't selected a replacement yet, but will likely be going with either a DiMarzio or SD passive humbucker in the bridge (at least as a start). I very much want to avoid any routing; I'm trying to keep it as relatively straightforward an upgrade as possible. I have seen at least one post here where a user said the cavity is a bit shallow and their replacement pickup wouldn't drop in properly without either cutting the screws or using alternative, shorter screws (the pickup they were referring to was a SD Nazgul, which coincidentally is on my list of contenders). Have others found the same and did you come up with a workaround?

Alternatively, can anyone explain to me how I would go about determining this PUP size compatibility for this guitar? If I could find a schematic or get the exact dimensions for the Quantum 7s that are currently in the RGA, I can compare it with the dimensions of the new pickup. I'm not certain but I believe the cavity would be the same as the RG7421 (and possibly other RG74XX models), so if anyone has experience with those I'd also be keen to learn from your experience.

Some additional questions:
  • Do all/most of the standard-issue SD humbuckers have the same dimensions (I mean for fitting/mounting purposes, not F/G pole spacing), or does it vary between model? How about for Dimarzios?
  • If the compatibility can be solved with shorter/cut screws, does this have any negative consequences?
  • Currently I am thinking of only swapping the bridge pickup (with the neck perhaps at a later date if all goes well). Is it simple enough to wire if I swap in only the bridge but keep the Quantum 7 in the neck and keep all switching the same? A trusted guitar tech will install it; while he could of course do some routing if it was necessary, I would prefer a directly compatible pickup if I am able.
Thanks for your help!

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
The Quantums are made by Dimarzio I believe.

At any rate Dimarzio should drop right in. I swapped Titans into an RGA no problem.
Some RGAs (e.g. Prestiges) come with stock DiMarzios, so are routed for the triangular mounting tabs. Others are routed for square (or squarer) mounting tabs...which easily accommodate DiMarzio's triangular mounting tabs.

I believe the OP's RGA has routings for relatively square mounting tabs, but with slightly rounded off corners. A DiMarzio would therefore drop right in with a bit of space to spare around the mounting tabs. Something like a Seymour Duncan pickup may need the square corners of the mounting tabs rounded off (just a tiny amount of metal removed) with a file.

Titans and D Activators are both a very good match for RGAs imo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Strangedaze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some RGAs (e.g. Prestiges) come with stock DiMarzios, so are routed for the triangular mounting tabs. Others are routed for square (or squarer) mounting tabs...which easily accommodate DiMarzio's triangular mounting tabs.

I believe the OP's RGA has routings for relatively square mounting tabs, but with slightly rounded off corners. A DiMarzio would therefore drop right in with a bit of space to spare around the mounting tabs. Something like a Seymour Duncan pickup may need the square corners of the mounting tabs rounded off (just a tiny amount of metal removed) with a file.

Thanks for the reply. You're correct this one has square tabs.

I guess in addition to the area I was also thinking about the depth - seems some people have run into issues with the direct mount pickup replacements sitting too high unless they modify/cut the screws. I've measured the current pickups and it seems like 3/4" height from bracket to top of pickup would be fine, whereas 7/8" would be pushing it. I've compared against the schematics from SD/Dimarzio and think I'll have to stick with a lower profile PUP.

vidobali

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When it comes to compatibility, pickups from SD and DiMarzio typically fit, but it's wise to double-check dimensions just to be sure. And if you're only swapping the bridge pickup and keeping the wiring the same, your tech shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Strangedaze Dimarzio has drawings of their pickups with dimensions for covered and uncovered pickups.

According to the drawings, their covered pickups measure .79" tall and uncovered measure .63" or .73" tall. Looks like you should have plenty of room.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I guess in addition to the area I was also thinking about the depth - seems some people have run into issues with the direct mount pickup replacements sitting too high unless they modify/cut the screws. I've measured the current pickups and it seems like 3/4" height from bracket to top of pickup would be fine, whereas 7/8" would be pushing it. I've compared against the schematics from SD/Dimarzio and think I'll have to stick with a lower profile PUP.
By "height from bracket" do you mean the height from pickup mounting tabs or the top surface of the baseplate? (I presume mounting tabs)

If you're concerned about the depth, DiMarzio is a pretty safe option.
DiMarzio's 7-string pickups all have a flat PCB baseplate, with mounting tabs that are level with the rest of the baseplate - unlike their 6-string variants of the same pickup models.
Most other brands have "legs" between the mounting tabs and the baseplate - like 6-string DiMarzios.

For context of how tall the bigger high output DiMarzios are:

6-string DiMarzio Titan / D Activator dimensions: https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/DMHBdim_16.pdf
Refer to the bottom taller pickup.

7-string DiMarzio Titan / D Activator dimensions: https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/7_String_Pickup_Dimensions_18.pdf
Refer to page 2

Strangedaze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
By "height from bracket" do you mean the height from pickup mounting tabs or the top surface of the baseplate? (I presume mounting tabs)

If you're concerned about the depth, DiMarzio is a pretty safe option.
DiMarzio's 7-string pickups all have a flat PCB baseplate, with mounting tabs that are level with the rest of the baseplate - unlike their 6-string variants of the same pickup models.
Most other brands have "legs" between the mounting tabs and the baseplate - like 6-string DiMarzios.

For context of how tall the bigger high output DiMarzios are:

6-string DiMarzio Titan / D Activator dimensions: https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/DMHBdim_16.pdf
Refer to the bottom taller pickup.

7-string DiMarzio Titan / D Activator dimensions: https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/7_String_Pickup_Dimensions_18.pdf
Refer to page 2
Thanks! I am referring to the tabs, yes, and that's really useful that you mention the "legs" as I have heard complaints specifically about that for the RGA.

Now to decide on the pickup - ughhhh I've been spending hours back and forth. Any recommendations are welcome. I want tight, tight, chugging and clarity - no fizz, no flub. Standard B tuning, occasional drop A. While early on in my searching I initially assumed this would be a "hotter pickup" that I sought, after much review and reading, it seems I might actually be looking for a brighter, lower output pickup to keep that tight grinding "chug". Seems the D Activator could be a good choice for satisfying this characteristic.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Thanks! I am referring to the tabs, yes, and that's really useful that you mention the "legs" as I have heard complaints specifically about that for the RGA.

Now to decide on the pickup - ughhhh I've been spending hours back and forth. Any recommendations are welcome. I want tight, tight, chugging and clarity - no fizz, no flub. Standard B tuning, occasional drop A. While early on in my searching I initially assumed this would be a "hotter pickup" that I sought, after much review and reading, it seems I might actually be looking for a brighter, lower output pickup to keep that tight grinding "chug". Seems the D Activator could be a good choice for satisfying this characteristic.
Personally, D Activators (bridge & neck) would be my pick all day long.