Ibanez RGA8QM Replacement :)

Austin_ep

Klangfarbenmelodie
Reaction score
Hello there everyone,

I recently picked up the new Ibanez 8 stringer and I wanted to replace the stock pickups in it with something that is a bit, better. However, it seems that the pickup replacement business is not as easy as I thought it was. Delving into it all I am finding suggestions to make sure I have a 500-1000k pot installed, something about replacing the EQ/mud switch, wiring diagrams, and loads of other confusing things. :flame: I just was hoping that someone could give me a little nudge as to where I could go to learn how to do this, or explain it to me. I'd even be okay to hear where a good place to get this done by a professional, alongside with a possible guestimate on pricing.

Also in researching the replacement process I have found that not all of the pickups will fit in the space of the old ones, as they are not the same size/style. How can this be rectified, are there covers you can buy to make the resulting gap look less ridiculous?

I am well aware of the numerous threads on which pickups to get. However one they are got, how would one go about having the best method of getting them installed? Eg, self, technician, friend?

Thank you in advance! :dio:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Corrosion

RooR
Reaction score
Generally, you can find the routing space specs through a simple google search. For the SD dactivators and the EMG 808s, no routing will be needed. However, you will have to buy a new battery holder or place the 9 volt into the electronic cavity.

If you are going the passive route, you will mot likely need rings/covers/fills which can be bought, and a ground to the bridge...

If you know anything about soldering/electronics, you can probably wire them yourself. Otherwise take it to someone who does.