Ibanez RGIR27BE vs ... any recommendations?

Traemandir

Reaction score
So I am looking to get my first seven string, and simultaneously get a slightly more high end guitar than any of my current six strings.

I discovered the Ibanez RGIR27BE and thought it was perfect because it has a good tremolo (I am coming from an Edge III), EMG actives, kill switch, and mahogany body. I am having second thoughts because I was looking pictures of it and discovered that it doesn't have a ZPS system in it like the other Edge Zero II tremolo guitars I have seen (Not sure why it has an Edge ZERO tremolo without the Zero Point System in it... with the reverse springs and the convenient knob instead of the screws). I'm worried that without the ZPS it's going to be just as long and tedious of a process to adjust the intonation as it is for my 370DX with an Edge III.

Is it way easier to adjust Edge Zero II (even without ZPS) than an Edge III and I shouldn't be worried? Or is there another 7 string with a good floating trem and EMG's you would recommend? The 27BE would be PERFECT in my mind if it had ZPS. Looking at the $800 price tag.

Thanks for any input guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

benny

Ibanez RG Addict
Reaction score
I think Ibanez had some legal issues with the ZPS system and stopped using it, if memory serves me right.

The Edge Zero II will essentially be the same to setup as your Edge III.

If you aren't opposed to buying used, then I would highly recommend a Prestige or Premium RG 7 string. There are some that have the ZPS system.

Traemandir

Reaction score
I think Ibanez had some legal issues with the ZPS system and stopped using it, if memory serves me right.

The Edge Zero II will essentially be the same to setup as your Edge III.

If you aren't opposed to buying used, then I would highly recommend a Prestige or Premium RG 7 string. There are some that have the ZPS system.

Okay... after some deep thought and some reading I don't think intonation will be as hard as it has been previously if I improve my technique. But idk if I feel sold on the Tremolo, there have definitely been some mixed reviews on different forums.

I'm not opposed to buying used. Are there any models you would recommend? A big thing is I kinda want active pickups which is what makes it a little harder...