Ibanez RGIX28FEQM Pickup Options?

MannyMoonjava

Figgjo Fallout Shelter Wizardry
Reaction score
I found another 8 in the norwegian wilderness, hopefully arriving this week.

I hate emg808s

What are my options?

Can i swap for some fishmans easily?
Do they fit the chavity? I probably also need new pots (which ones?)

Looking for some pickups that can do mostly clean, but also some breakup/crunch. I have other guitars for highgain stuff and im looking to experiment. Coilswitching is a huge plus.

I could swap for 808x and 18v mod but i already have those in my agile 828 :wub:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MannyMoonjava

Reaction score
Just got this badboy! The tuner did not accept my .80 and the nut have some movement, any ways to fix this? Do i have to drill to lessen the load on the nut?

20230804_194455.jpg
20230804_194451.jpg

Also wandering if i would have to swap all the electrics for the abasi fluence pickups?

20230804_194431.jpg
20230804_194439.jpg

Any tips or trix higly appreciated!

MannyMoonjava

Reaction score
Im actually mindblown by the sound after a restring, service, lemonoil job. Did the 808s change anyhow from 2011 (my agile) to 2014 (when RGIX28FEQM was launched)???

Really baffled by the crunch amps, very thick seventies type gnarl. Also experimented with dist/clean sense on my kemper.

I have a short soundclip for anyone young enough to use tiktok (lol). Kemper recorded into cubase:

If any mods could just rename this thread to NGD Ibanez RGIX28FEQM that would be cool.

I swapped to a dimarzio clipstrap thingie the other day.

20230807_220128.jpg

BabUShka

Reaction score
Looks great! Reminds me a lot of the Hellraiser series with the abalone binding and all.
Did they fix the nut at service? Probably just glued it in place?

MannyMoonjava

Reaction score
Looks great! Reminds me a lot of the Hellraiser series with the abalone binding and all.
Did they fix the nut at service? Probably just glued it in place?
Did the service myself and ended up just bending the string ever so slightly. Worked out great! Gonna make a custom bone nut in the future! More vids comming soon.

Thank all of you for the comments, i am totally in love with this beautiful creature :wub: :lol:

BabUShka

Reaction score
Did the service myself and ended up just bending the string ever so slightly. Worked out great! Gonna make a custom bone nut in the future! More vids comming soon.

Thank all of you for the comments, i am totally in love with this beautiful creature :wub: :lol:
Good to hear! Next time it would probably help to unwind the B string from the tuners, cut it a bit and reattach it. Dont know if you have locking tuners, that would probably make this easier :)
Btw, i see you're from Norway too! Hilsen fra Bergen

Joan Maal

Reaction score
i had one for a while... gorgeous fretboard. Very nice guitar

IMG-20190105-115847.jpg

MannyMoonjava

Reaction score
Good to hear! Next time it would probably help to unwind the B string from the tuners, cut it a bit and reattach it. Dont know if you have locking tuners, that would probably make this easier :)
Btw, i see you're from Norway too! Hilsen fra Bergen
Ka meine du? ka verktøy trenge eg for å unwinda?
Applaus og jubel fra Stavængår!

Joan Maal

Reaction score
djeezez chrayzt how did u make that sexy pickguard?
At ebay

Its a RG8 pickguard...it only needs a slight trimming in the bridge area (maybe one knob hole too), it is an easy job with a dremel

although it is now much more expensive

MannyMoonjava

Reaction score
the string doesnt go thru, just the tapered part, and its a stringthru body so i cant cut it.
any tips or trix?

MannyMoonjava

Reaction score
At ebay

Its a RG8 pickguard...it only needs a slight trimming in the bridge area (maybe one knob hole too), it is an easy job with a dremel

although it is now much more expensive

you sir, are a wizard! greatly appreciated!