Ibanez TS808 vs. MAXON OD808 vs. Fulltone OCD

o0JAKEOo

Reaction score
Newly registered member of the site here, but I'm just looking for some opinions on the better pedal and why. I currently own an OCD pedal (V4) and I'm wandering if it would be worth it to get one of the other pedals. The tone I'm going for is pretty specific and would best be described as an angry, barking tone that cuts through the mix. There are two bands I know of that have a tone like this: Volumes and The Plot in You. My setup consists of a Schecter hellraiser C-1, OCD pedal, and a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo (with a Mesa V30). Any input would be appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I love my Maxon OD808, it really allows my tone to tighten up and cut through the mix.

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Pav

???
Reaction score
In my experience, most people seem to favor the Maxon OD808 above all. I've also heard good things about the Fulltone OCD, but that's the one I have little/no personal experience with. Personally, I have an Ibby TS808 and I think it's the greatest thing in the whole wide world, but mine is heavily modded so should be taken with a grain of salt, since the reissues aren't the same as the godlike TS808s from way back when.

Check out this video. Not exactly the lineup you're looking for, but it should give you a pretty cut and dry comparison of how different OD pedals function. IMHO, the Maxon sounds the best out of that lineup. The Fulltone OCD seems to have more gain but sounds thinner and less boosted.

And :welcome: fellow Toledoan!

imaginary

Reaction score
I tried the OCD for a bit. now it sits uselessly in someone else's gear bag. Harsh, I know. It just doesn't seem to be as aggressive. Like Pav, I use a modified ts808 as well, so... I lack clarity of comparison:p

Local Astronaut
Reaction score
I use an Ibanez, but would prefer a Maxon. I've only been disappointed with the Fulltone pedals I've used. They aren't bad, just way overhyped from my experiences.

Gryphon

Reaction score
I have both a Maxon OD808 and Fulltone OCD in my rig. I use the OD808 to tighten things up and the OCD when I want a little more grit.

mniel8195

Reaction score
the full tone sounds better as a standalone pedal for a clean channel. i use a maxon 808 with my evh 5150III. i use to think i had to much low cut but i have since changed my mind

Damo707

Ibaninja
Reaction score
i am using an ocd as a boost on the lp setting with the gain about 10 o clock treble 3 o clock and level to taste. One good thing about this pedal is it lets some bass through although you may or may not want that. Im using it with a vox ac15 so im not trying to get metal tones in this purpose.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Had all of them, ended up selling all of them, kept only my TS7 diy-moded-to-original808.

ESPImperium

@ESPImperium
Reaction score
I got rid of my Ibanez TS9 and still have my Maxon OD808 and my Fulltone OCD. The OCD sits in that area between a OD box like the TS9 and DS1. I like distortions but they hate me, so the OCD is good for me as it is in that mid point for me, its my Blues Box on a clean channel.

However i cannot say enough for the Maxon OD808, it helps lift my amp just enough to get it into that area of gain that i need. However i have now gone and got a second OD808 for a pedal board rig im building for when i don't need to carry my whole shooting gallery of a rack system.

However, i do also include the MXR KFK 10 Band EQ a must need for my rack and a MXR 6 Band EQ a must for my pedalboard. That way i can get my tone even closer to what i have in my head and what my ear says to my head i have.

Every player should have a good OD pedal and a EQ for where i am coming from.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
If you're feeling experimental, look for some clones. Almost all popular ODs have a clone out there that you can buy for cheap. Timmy --> Dano Transparent OD, TS808--> Joyo Vintage, Klon ---> TONS of clones, etc.

Experiment with the knock-offs, in most cases the circuitry is next to identical. If you find one you really like, give the real deal a shot and see if the better build quality, component quality, and "mojo/hype" is worth the extra price. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, but at least you'll end up with something you really dig.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
I think the best OD out there is the Way Huge Green Rhino. It allows you the same stuff as all the 808s, but also gives you a mid sweep control to pinpoint where you want the midboost to happen, and a low end control so you dont have to lose your low end, just tighten it up.

BeyondDan

Beyond Fiction
Reaction score
If you want a more raw/aggressive tone i think the maxon OD808 would suits your needs.
But as someone else mentioned, there are a lot of clone/copy that would works great too.
Personnaly I use a digitech Bad Monkey, it's cheap sounds great and the 2 tone knobs help to reach the tone you want. I also heard great things about the Joyo Vintage Overdrive!

greendog86

Reaction score
the od808 is the "industry standard" nowadays for boosting high gain amps
to an even higher gain and tighter and fuller sound. you really can't
go wrong with an od808.
if it fits your budget, the protone deadhorse is the best booster around
for high gain sounds imo.

Edika

Reaction score
I haven't tried any of the other pedals aside from the Maxon OD808. When searching for a boost pedal I tried almost every OD and DS pedal available in a shop that had quite a lot of pedals (no Fulltone or Ibanez TS808 at that point however) and it was the only one that made my hybrid, not a real real tube amp, sound mean enough to keep and not buy a new and abetter all tube amp for way down the line. Even if I do buy a new all tube amp, I'll be keeping this setup as I really like it.

Reaction score
If you're into tone that is more like Volumes or other bands of the sort, I would go for the Maxon OD808 or check out any of Protone's Dead Horse pedals, they have an OD808 circuit with upgraded components pretty much. I believe Misha Mansoor for Periphery has a signature Dead Horse