Ibby Vs. Agile

• Thread starter bigswifty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7STRINGWARRIOR

jacksons4thewin
Reaction score
Ive played both and the ibanez spanks the agile In every way. the necks on the s7420 are about the size of the fatter 7620 necks....not the necks with the stripe. Theres a crazy difference in sound between the 7420 pickups in the rg and s. stock the guitar sounds great.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Phlegethon

Reaction score
I'm going to preface everything I say by this: I will consider all things on these guitars equal despite the fact that they're different (same quality woods, trems, p/ups. . )

if it came down to what one I'd buy out of the two options, the ibby as in my opinion it has the best neck contour and overall setup for my fretting hand and playing style. with that being said if it came down to what one I'd take off of the rack to test out (as the thread started off as) then it's going to be the agile. why? I've never played one and I'd like to see if I'm able to play it without having problems in my fretting hand, as well as to assess things I can boil down with logic like playability and the completley subjective "feel" aspect

so at the end of the day I'm going to buy the guitar that's better for me and my needs as a player. seeing as I've seen vids of both low end ibbys and agiles whupping the jebus out of instruments that are thousands of dollars I would say that people should go to music stores and honestly sort this out and have some fun doing it.

also, don't be like wayne . . remember: no stairway *cough*

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
more gas fuel?

DSCN6129.jpg

DSCN6130.jpg

DSCN6133.jpg

DSCN6136.jpg

DSCN6205.jpg

DSCN6206.jpg

DSCN6209.jpg

Reaction score
Agile for me. The way the neck feels and plays is perfect. I also love neck-thrus.

OP: I'd do as many have said - buy an interceptor and try it out for a bit. You can always return it.

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
The only way I'd buy either one of these is if for some reason I needed a cheap backup guitar and had absolutely no time to save for something better.

Even then it'd be a hard decision. These guitars are neck and neck in being unpleasant. It's ugly with crap pickups VS woeful trem and built by hyundai.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
dont forget the S7420 black pearl

DSCN6823-1.jpg

The only way I'd buy either one of these is if for some reason I needed a cheap backup guitar and had absolutely no time to save for something better.

Even then it'd be a hard decision. These guitars are neck and neck in being unpleasant. It's ugly with crap pickups VS woeful trem and built by hyundai.

um my S7420 was made in japan just like your universe, im pretty darn sure hyundai is korean. im glad you have that schecter for a cheap backup guitar to the universe though:cool: keeps more S7s on the market for me :fawk:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I've played one of the 7 string S series. I'm not sure which one it was exactly. But it looked like that one in a black pearl-like color. Exactly like the RG7420 or RGT42DX. I'm guessing it's the same one you have pictured but in black pearl.

Anyway... I thought it was an amazing playing guitar. The neck feels VERY nice. And well I'm a big fan of Ibanez guitars anyway. That having been said (remember these are my own personal reasons...) I'd still get the Agile because:

A) I need something other than Ibanez's in my collection
B)If the neck is somewhere in between a Schecter and Ibby profile as I've heard from some people, then I think it'd still be mighty comfy.
C)I must have 24 frets
D)I want a neckthru 7 really badly and this one is reasonably priced (I almost feel like it might be underpriced... :lol: )

I'd go for the Agile in this case, honestly, especially due to some things I'm not a fan of regarding the Ibanez, namely the 22-fret neck, the S shape not really appealing to me in terms of comfort, and the more focused tone and feeling of bang for the buck of the Agile, who also wins in terms of aesthetics as far as my taste's concerned.

I noticed that on a 6 string S i played recently. It kinda felt too small or something. But I'd played that older S7 and for some reason that one didn't feel too bad. Maybe it's just how I was feeling on either day... :shrug:

Yea... Definitely ddn't see this before my post. This is the one I played. :D

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
It really didn't feel too "small", as I'm not exactly a tall guy, but the extremely thin body is something I'm really not that used to, I presume. :shrug:

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
um my S7420 was made in japan just like your universe, im pretty darn sure hyundai is korean. im glad you have that schecter for a cheap backup guitar to the universe though:cool: keeps more S7s on the market for me :fawk:

No no you got it the wrong way around. The S is ugly and has crap pickups, the agile has the woeful bridge (slightly more woeful than the Lo-TRS)and hyundai's keen eye for quality control trustworthy manufacturing. That was the joke, sorry I should have been clearer.

Oh and my Universe is now a backup to an RG2127X FYI. Keep buying those S7s though, means less of them I have to look at. :lol:

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
No no you got it the wrong way around. The S is ugly and has crap pickups, the agile has the woeful bridge (slightly more woeful than the Lo-TRS)and hyundai's keen eye for quality control trustworthy manufacturing. That was the joke, sorry I should have been clearer.

Oh and my Universe is now a backup to an RG2127X FYI. Keep buying those S7s though, means less of them I have to look at. :lol:

:cheers: :shred: :hbang:

Yea... Definitely ddn't see this before my post. This is the one I played. :D

they actually do sound different. with the exact same equipment and strings.

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
I would go with the Ibanez because i have had some bad experiences with Agile guitars, however i would try both out and see whats plays and sounds better.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
My S7420 is the sex. Super light really comfortable neck, the trem is great dispite the negative rep it has. The Agiles lok really great and I have been really tempted to buy one. But I bought the 7420 knowing it was going to be great. because Ibbys from that era of production simply rule. If you like wizard necks its a no brainer. If you like the chunky necks (I also own a Hellraiser) try an agile if you can. I can play the schetcer fine standing up but sat down I get hand fatigue faster than on the Ibby. Rehearsing I use buth because they both sound so different which I love. If the Agiles are halfway betwen those two necks I think I'll have some serious agile love someday. :metal:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
:cheers: :shred: :hbang:

they actually do sound different. with the exact same equipment and strings.

does the black pearl one still have a maple cap under the paint? not sure what the point of that would be other than for tone junkies :)

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
does the black pearl one still have a maple cap under the paint? not sure what the point of that would be other than for tone junkies :)

dunno? i dont think so. mine has no chips scratches or dings so i cant see on mine. i think they are one piece.:scratch:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
ahh ok. i have a friend selling one for like $500 but i just want 24 frets so bad. how hard a mod do you think it'd be to get it to accept a 24 fret neck? that could be fun...

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
The maple veneer is merely cosmetic. It's so wafer thin I can't imagine it making a difference. Its most likely just differences in mhe mahogany and maple :agreed:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
it's just a veneer? why does ibanez do that? im glad i don't buy any of their figured top axes. i asked a guy at a store where i bought my RGT42DX if the top on the RGT42DXFM was real or a veneer (i was trying to decided whether i wanted the FM or not...)

he told me he checked w/ Ibanez (fuck if I know if that's true or not) and they said it was a real cap. i bought the RGT42DXBP anyway because i didn't trust him. :lol:

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
it's just a veneer? why does ibanez do that? im glad i don't buy any of their figured top axes. i asked a guy at a store where i bought my RGT42DX if the top on the RGT42DXFM was real or a veneer (i was trying to decided whether i wanted the FM or not...)

he told me he checked w/ Ibanez (fuck if I know if that's true or not) and they said it was a real cap. i bought the RGT42DXBP anyway because i didn't trust him. :lol:

It's a veneer - probably a little thicker than the 20lb paper paper that you use in your printer.

The reason that I suspect they use a thin veneer is to reduce waste. Looking at the contour of the S body, ~50% of a very expensive slab of figured wood would end up as CNC router shavings on the floor (bad for profit margins), whereas a paper-thin piece of that same figured wood can be wallpapered to a finished cheap multi-piece mahogany body with minimal waste (you can use slices from the same book-matched piece on probably 50 guitars too), and it'll look 75% as good as a real top. Don't forget the premium you can charge for a transparent finish.

For a real top, you'd be into the $2500-3k range with retailer markup AT LEAST.

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
I have an S7320 and an Agile Septor 727, so not exactly the same guitars but similar. I think they both have their merits and I play both of them often. I put Blackouts in the Agile and it sounds great for heavy rhythm stuff and the clarity on the low B is awesome. The Ibanez has and Air Norton in the neck and a D Sonic in the bridge. It has a much smoother lead tone.

Playability wise, I prefer the feel of the Agile. The neck on the Ibanez is just a little too thin for me, but of course that's all personal preference. The body shape of the Ibanez is a little more comfortable, but the Agile is by no means uncomfortable. Get one of each!