IceKelly build

• Thread starter foreright
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

foreright

Reaction score
I might even finish it soon - never needed nut files before as I’ve always either gone with a zero fret and headless or a locking nut. They are in the post and should arrive next week so I can make more progress :)

foreright

Reaction score
FBEB464B-1103-4C03-8EE0-04488DA1FF16.jpeg CDDF9608-B5BB-400A-BCE0-29EA9AA2D7AA.jpeg 94F0B8C5-A292-4152-9EDD-F82DB367B205.jpeg 8AB10B55-4788-4E15-B779-A6979790B2D8.jpeg

Finally finished as strings arrived this morning (thanks Royal Mail - 5 days to deliver a 24 hour parcel!!). Still need to cut a couple of nut slots a touch deeper but it’s nice :)

Surprisingly it’s very comfortable to play sitting down in classical position - never had a Kelly / Explorer shaped guitar before so no idea if that’s normal. It feels very long, I think due to the length of the headstock. Haven’t had too much chance to play amplified so far as I was supposed to be working today :)

This has been quite a fun project… looking forward to the next one when I get around to it!

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
You did an absolutely outstanding job here. Congratulations man.

Surprisingly it’s very comfortable to play sitting down in classical position - never had a Kelly / Explorer shaped guitar before so no idea if that’s normal.

One of the main reasons Explorer shapes, the Kelly in particular, are one of my favorite shapes is because of how comfortable they are, sitting and standing. It comes at a cost of less access to the upper frets, but if you don’t do many leads or adjust your left hand technique, it is a small matter.

Again, you did an outstanding job.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
As far as it feeling long, yeah pretty much any star or X shape variant will feel that way IME, probably due mostly to the rear horn and typical 6 reverse in-line headstocks. My death kelly copy I built is 28.75” scale and it’s too long for almost any case I could find. Fortunately a few guys in another thread provided some helpful links for that.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
This came out INCREDIBLE!!! I only would say that I'd loved to have seen the headstock match the body. Congrats man, awesome build and that shape was always something I thought was killer!

Latest posts